cranks slowly on first start of the day...

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
183K miles
new Interstate battery correct 94R

Only on the first crank/start of the day. Temp usually 49-60 degrees.

Will always start and within 3 actual cranks, they are just very slow/labored

Starter getting old?

Anything else?

My 2003 always cranked fast and started on the first crank no matter how long it sat.

Any ideas?:confused:
Thanks!!!

Peter

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Parasitic draw killing the battery, or weak starter. But usually weak starter is weak all the time. I know a 01 jetta I had once upon a time would die over night, but as soon as you jump started it in the morning it was good all day long. Turned out to be an alternator that was starting to go out, but no battery light.

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
I'm going to say starter. It's pretty common for these to turn slow on the first start of the day and be fine afterwards when they are failing.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
I'm going to say starter. It's pretty common for these to turn slow on the first start of the day and be fine afterwards when they are failing.
Yep. Typical sign of failing/tired starter. Might be worth a check for corroded/almost eroded away cable at starter end as well as the usual ground cable condition.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Just to rule it out I would put that new battery on an overnight trickle charge. Double check the big wires/connects.

But it sure interweb sounds like parasitic draw or starter.

Last edited:

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
2x on checking the cables at the starter end.
The one going from the solenoid to inside the starter is know to corrode and not pass full power.

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
An easy way to rule out the connections is hook a set of jumper cables from the positive on the battery to the big terminal (+) on the starter if it starts normal this way then you know the starter is good and the problem is elsewhere. You can check the ground to the block the same way negative on the battery and the other end to the block.

Last edited:

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
All the above suggestions are right on point; when was the last time you pulled the battery tray and checked and/or cleaned the terminals?

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Easy to eliminate possibilities with a voltmeter. Measure voltage drop across the + cable during cranking, and then again across the negative cable from battery to where it connects to the bellhousing bolt, if it's a half volt or less drop, I wouldn't worry much about the connections or cables.

Then, also just measure what the battery itself drops to during cranking. If it stays above 10.5V during cranking, it's pretty healthy and I wouldn't worry much about the state of the battery. And if all the above checks out OK, by process of elimination, you just have a tired starter.