Found a nice app to monitor DPF.

amitsekhon

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI,,,,,, 2010 X535D Diesel ,,,,,,,,,,,, 2002 Jetta manual TDI ALH (Sold)
Hi folks, Just would like to share my find of really nice app for monitoring DPF.Its called VAG DPF.There are two versions.One is free and other one monitor.Not sure if its available for IOS.

Here is the screenshot

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
Awesome find!!!!

thanks for posting

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Cool! How does it read that? Is there a dongle that plugs into the OBD II port?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
amzaon kindles can be had for $30-$45 and then side load any app that isn't supported by the limited amazon app store. They may be a a bit large and sluggish at 7" but still darn cheap.

That's how I got a free version of torque on it.

Petra's cousin

TDI
Mk VI TDI Golf Wagon
Did you get this to work on a cjaa engine? I can't get it to work and am trying to figure out if it's my cheap Bluetooth adapter or some configuration thing on my part. Thanks, John

amitsekhon

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI,,,,,, 2010 X535D Diesel ,,,,,,,,,,,, 2002 Jetta manual TDI ALH (Sold)
Did you get this to work on a cjaa engine? I can't get it to work and am trying to figure out if it's my cheap Bluetooth adapter or some configuration thing on my part. Thanks, John
Did you find your CJAA engine in the engine list inside settings?

You can also try selecting every engine group available.Also make sure that you keep your ignition on while connecting.

Petra's cousin

TDI
Mk VI TDI Golf Wagon
Did you find your CJAA engine in the engine list inside settings?
You can also try selecting every engine group available.Also make sure that you keep your ignition on while connecting.
No CJAA in the list of tested engines. I'll give it another go today to see if any of the engine groups work for it but it also says that some cheapo bluetooth units won't work.

John

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
When I used torque with custom PIDs, the PIDs were the same for the CRKA engine of the passat as the CJAA engine, maybe try the CRKA. I haven't checked all the PIDs on the Gen 3 engine as the wife thinks it stupid waste of of my time to monitor the car on long trips. I think it's because it'd distract her from critiquing my driving.

Petra's cousin

TDI
Mk VI TDI Golf Wagon
When I used torque with custom PIDs, the PIDs were the same for the CRKA engine of the passat as the CJAA engine, maybe try the CRKA. I haven't checked all the PIDs on the Gen 3 engine as the wife thinks it stupid waste of of my time to monitor the car on long trips. I think it's because it'd distract her from critiquing my driving.
No dice - no CRKA in the list of pretested engines (or supported engines).

I did try each of the engine options and none of them worked for me so I still don't know if its just that the CJAA engine is not supported or if its my ELM327 knockoff.

John

giuseppe_b

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen SE 6MT
FWIW, when I got my GSW with the Gen3, I see that Torque Pro seems to read the same PIDs as it had on my CJAA. I also got yelled at a road trip this summer by the wife, they cannot seem to understand our need to be connected to our cars I suppose. Once setup (before the drive begins) it is no different than looking at the radio settings or other gauges in the car, I tell her.

Last edited:

KERMA

TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
Edit: it just started working again. I was trying to get it to connect at idle, but apparently it is easier to connect with the car moving. Strange.

very weird, it just stopped working.
connects to bluetooth dongle, but when it tries to connect to OBD the symbols briefly go red and then goes back to just the bluetooth symbol being lit.

already tried uninstalling/reinstalling, cycling power on the phone, cycling bluetooth off/on and the obvious stuff

torque app works fine. so bluetooth is connecting ok.
I'll have to investigate this some more.

Last edited:

EECSentric

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL DSG LP
I use Torque Pro with custom PIDs found on another forum post. Do you know if there is an updated to the custom PIDs that give the detailed DPF info presented by VAG DPF?

I'd like to find the custom PIDs for regen duration, distance/time since regen, post injection, etc. if they are available.

Thanks,
-James

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Has anyone found an app that works on IOS?

sportwagen3

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SE
Can someone explain the different measurements and what would be the safe ranges? Sorry new to this all, but want to get some kind of understanding.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Can someone explain the different measurements and what would be the safe ranges? Sorry new to this all, but want to get some kind of understanding.
I believe the car will take care of keeping the levels "safe", we just happen to get to watch it while it's doing it. Personally, I won't shut the car down if a regen hasn't completed and temps are back to normal. Maybe a little extreme but I see no reason NOT to if I have the time and awareness of what's going on. I might be alone in this madness though.... :D

Sad Panda

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen SE TDI
Edit: it just started working again. I was trying to get it to connect at idle, but apparently it is easier to connect with the car moving. Strange.

very weird, it just stopped working.
connects to bluetooth dongle, but when it tries to connect to OBD the symbols briefly go red and then goes back to just the bluetooth symbol being lit.

already tried uninstalling/reinstalling, cycling power on the phone, cycling bluetooth off/on and the obvious stuff

torque app works fine. so bluetooth is connecting ok.
I'll have to investigate this some more.
Have you tried changing the update speed in the DPF app settings?

sportwagen3

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SE
I believe the car will take care of keeping the levels "safe", we just happen to get to watch it while it's doing it. Personally, I won't shut the car down if a regen hasn't completed and temps are back to normal. Maybe a little extreme but I see no reason NOT to if I have the time and awareness of what's going on. I might be alone in this madness though.... :D
Is there any issues if you do turn your car off in the middle of regen?

Sad Panda

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen SE TDI
They are designed to work around it so they dont need a regen light on the dash or anything so no it shouldnt hurt anything. I just prefer to not shut it off when the DPF is at 600C so I usually let it idle until complete.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I use Torque Pro with custom PIDs found on another forum post. Do you know if there is an updated to the custom PIDs that give the detailed DPF info presented by VAG DPF?

I'd like to find the custom PIDs for regen duration, distance/time since regen, post injection, etc. if they are available.

Thanks,
-James

i got nothig as I'm using that same CSV file from that other thread, and I get laughed at for trying to use torque while driving

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Should be nothing bad, but most folks like to avoid it...
If you do interrupt it, the cooling fan will run on high a bit after shutdown.
Since we now have (in the USA) a 11 year 162,000 mile warranty in most cases, I would worry even less about the DPF cracking due to the thermal stress of an interrupt regen.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
On my '09, before emissions tune, I had the monitor set on 900F to show me the regen was happening at highway revs. I saw it hit 1200F once and that seemed too much, so I turned into a pull off and shut it down. On restart, it was done with regen. I have no idea how the newer ones, and especially the new tune, modifies those parameters. I doubt VW would let you know.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
They are designed to work around it so they dont need a regen light on the dash or anything so no it shouldnt hurt anything. I just prefer to not shut it off when the DPF is at 600C so I usually let it idle until complete.
Should be nothing bad, but most folks like to avoid it...
If you do interrupt it, the cooling fan will run on high a bit after shutdown.
Since we now have (in the USA) a 11 year 162,000 mile warranty in most cases, I would worry even less about the DPF cracking due to the thermal stress of an interrupt regen.
On my '09, before emissions tune, I had the monitor set on 900F to show me the regen was happening at highway revs. I saw it hit 1200F once and that seemed too much, so I turned into a pull off and shut it down. On restart, it was done with regen. I have no idea how the newer ones, and especially the new tune, modifies those parameters. I doubt VW would let you know.
Well, glad to see I'm not alone on this one. I think the TDI crowd are, in general, more "in tune" with their vehicles. I know they are supposed to work around the mid regen shut down but I really dislike stepping out of the car, fans running like it's an airplane about to take off and car smelling like a bonfire. :eek:

Borsig

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2015 GSW SEL (buyback), 2011 JSW (sold)
tag for later. I need one of these.

amitsekhon

Veteran Member
TDI
VAGDPF officially added CRUA engine in the latest update yesterday even though it was working fine before under different engine name.
Now it displays more useful 'High Pressure EGR' rate instead of low pressure EGR rate.