Epic Drives from Bethel ME

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,

I wont be able to make it to the Fest but here's some advice for those that have some time on thier hands for a nice drive.

For “Flatlanders” that have never been to the “Real Maine”. Here’s a great half day to ¾ day loop. My grandparents were both from Rumford Maine, I have family in Philips ME, I spent the summers of my youth on Webb Lake and skied Sunday River and Sugarloaf all thru college and amazingly enough, my fiancée is from Strong ME.

You could either head west or east, and total miles would be 200-230. Best chance of seeing Moose is going between Berlin NH & Rangeley ME near dusk. Rt 16 by Mooselookmeguntic and Rt 4 by Rangeley lake has a great view of mountains and lakes and perfect place to snag an ice cream and quick swim. The Blasams is closed for renovations right now but is still worth a quick detour up Rt26 to Dixville Notch (first ballots in the nation!) just to drive by it.

The roads are typical western mountains of Maine/Norther NH. Very twisty and pulp truck beaten up, but fun as heck to drive exceeding the speed limit, tons of places to pull strong out of corners and show off the torqs.
Shame on any out of staters that drive under the speed limit in these parts of the woods! If you can do 85 fighting city traffic Monday thru Friday, going 65 in a 55mph should be a piece of cake. Don’t be surprised if you get passed by a local rusted out pickup truck, these roads are the highway up here and people drive like it.

Notable stops along that route for Lunch/Food:

Gingerbread House- in Rangely ME

Northland Dairy Bar- Berlin NH

Thia Smile- Farmington ME (greatest beer selection of any Thia place within >500 miles!)

Upper Falls in Rumford ME right off Rt 2 great view of the largest falls in Maine and I think the longest vertical drop east of Niagra
http://www.newenglandwaterfalls.com/waterfall.php?name=Rumford%20Falls

Stanley Steamer Museum. (The automobile not the cleaning service) Kingfield ME. Invented by a couple brothers in Kingfield ME, the first horseless carriage to climb Mt Washington and it also set a few land speed records for it day.

Both Rumford ME and Berlin ME and a slew of other smaller towns were industrial meccas back in the early 20th century centered around their mills and the Androscoggin River. They have amazing architectural detail in the brick buildings but with the closure of many of the mills it’s sad to see them in their current state.

Not sure if it’s been mentioned but coming from the south to get to Bethel, I’d highly recommend going up I93 (Thru Franconia Notch) then over on Rt2, even though some GPS may have you going up I95 and jumping on Rt26 from Gray. The Maine turnpike dings the out of staters hard, something like $3.50 at the York Toll plaza. Plus the views’ of Franconia Notch is way better than driving thru the nothingness Biddeford and the I95 corroidor.

Word of caution on Sunday afternoons between 1-7PM both I93S and I95S get nasty bottle necked as the tourists get closer to the southern boarder so be prepared for some bumper to bumper traffic and dealing with Massachusests and Conn. drivers (no offense Peter!).

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
That's an awesome write-up! I may have to make time for some of this on Monday. :cool:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Yes, thanks for the info.......... this TDI Fest, unlike the last two, is going to be our vacation (before, during and after).

Campbellonh

Veteran Member
TDI
formerly:Passat, 96, white and 10 Jetta, white gold
Another interesting way to go if coming from the south from I93, is to get off in Lincoln and take the Kancamagus Highway (rt 112) (awesome ride) east into Conway, NH, from there take 302 into Fryeburg, ME, then go north, either on rt 113 (through Evans Notch), or tke Rt 5/35, either will get you to route 2, and from there go on to Bethel and Sunday River. Rt 113 is steeper and windy beauty through national forest land, Rt 5/35 is rolling hilly beauty through farm land and several lakeside communities. It probably takes longer, but is a nice way to go too.

Last edited: