Stage 2 fix observations, 2015 6MT

BroncoAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Touareg Lux, 2015 Passat 6MT, 2009 Jetta (long gone), 2011 Touareg (bought back 02/18)
My car received the phase 2 correction on 9/4, so after a few weeks of driving I have some observations.

My car certainly feels slower after the mod, there is less mid range power than there was before. Previously if I were accelerating moderately and floored the throttle there was a significant pull, now it’s much less so. The engine revs up to 3K, but with less exuberance. When pulling a long mountain grade at 75 mph with the cruise set if I gave it some throttle it was pretty responsive and would accelerate easily, not anymore. It still pulls the grade, acceleration is there but unimpressive.

On the good side, it appears that highway MPG is up. On a trip from Flagstaff to Las Vegas it hand calced at 48.2 mpg. My normal commute from Flagstaff to Phoenix round trip returned 45.2 mpg. My previous best on the commute trip was around 43 mpg. City MPG may be down slightly, but I need more data.

I’m not going to tune the car and risk warranty issues. I’m hoping that it’s still breaking in the new hardware/software and things will get better.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Knarrly Viking

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE 6MT, 2 of them!
I find it so hard to tell which of my attempts at improving mpg is causing improved or worsened mpg. To make that more clear, I've played with different tire pressures, and generally found more pressure is better, but then the next week, mpgs are down. My wife's car has the stage 2 of the fix. I'm not sure if they did anything with the ecu, but they did install another sensor in the middle of the exhaust pipe. I know this because it looks different than my car (which the dealer says already has the recall done...). My wife gets around 43 mpg, when I get about 50 mpg. No change before or after the recalls. Most of the difference between our cars is the nut behind the wheel. I use engine-breaking and coasting whenever I can. Wife in the summer can get 53mpg on the freeway. This week, I'm averaging 45 mpg. I attribute the 5mpg drop in Costco starting to winterize their fuel or something, because I haven't changed my driving habits, nor has there been a big change in the weather. Now, I did own a 2012 Passat TDI 6MT, and the 2015's get better mpgs hands down.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Trip computer calculations vary a ton, mix a regn in the middle of a 20 mile trip yeah its gonna tank. Miles over gallons is the true way to know the MPG, sure you get the full mix of highway and city driving, but still you'll then know the actual MPG.

Winter fuel most def will hurt mileage, nothing you can really do about that.

Also if you don't have the added sensor that your wifes car, you only have phase 1, you can get phase 2 when ever you'd like.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
My wife's car has the stage 2 of the fix. I'm not sure if they did anything with the ecu, but they did install another sensor in the middle of the exhaust pipe.

Her car received the PHASE 2, Stage 2 is an ECU tune to up HP and torque.

Having said that, for the Phase 2 VW indeed did something to the ECU because of the added sensor.

I know, because my Stage 2 tune would not install again without having it tweaked by Malone.