EGR Cooler Issue

ro.sniper

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I would like to test this off-road.. :p

I believe my EGR cooler is leaking which is causing a slight stumble at 1800-2000 rpm...

What do I unplug to test?

I believe I have to unplug the vacuum hose from the egr cooler valve?? Is there another plug that I have to remove? Does the test only work if I put block off plates?

If someone could provide me some detailed info on the procedure I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers,

Raz

etextdi

Veteran Member
TDI
06 jetta
I'll leave the answers to others with more experience.Meanwhile,search A5 forum with "has anyone done the egr cooler before " good background info.there.

ro.sniper

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Thanks! I will look for it....

I have used the search to look for stuff regarding the EGR but nothing too specific came up.

kfcoltn

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I recently unplugged the wire harness connector on the EGR valve on my 06 BRM with the stumble under acceleration and high load. The problem went away so I am just leaving it unhooked for now, it does turn on the CEL. I previously have replaced the EGR cooler brass bushing as described in a thread on this site. That symptom was a hissing noise at idle and under boost.

ro.sniper

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I recently unplugged the wire harness connector on the EGR valve on my 06 BRM with the stumble under acceleration and high load. The problem went away so I am just leaving it unhooked for now, it does turn on the CEL. I previously have replaced the EGR cooler brass bushing as described in a thread on this site. That symptom was a hissing noise at idle and under boost.
Ahhh... okay. So where is the wire harness? It's not the same as the ASV no?

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
The EGR is the next component towards the head from the ASV. It bolts in between the ASV and the intake itself. You can find the electrical connector on it if you look around. It is probably under a heat shield that should be carefully preserved.

Dodoma

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta White
Leakender 2000 will solve the leak from sinking a boat. It should also solve leak from EGR from polluting the atmosphere.

ro.sniper

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The EGR is the next component towards the head from the ASV. It bolts in between the ASV and the intake itself. You can find the electrical connector on it if you look around. It is probably under a heat shield that should be carefully preserved.
Found it!!!! Okay the car seems to have very good low rpm torque now; Is that what should happen? I have an egr delete tune so no CEL for me...

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Leakender 2000 will solve the leak from sinking a boat. It should also solve leak from EGR from polluting the atmosphere.
Um.... no from their advertising:

"can withstand temperatures from 40 degrees below zero to 160 above"

It's a spray-on "Miracle sealant".

ro.sniper

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Okay so now I have better low end torque, but still small blip in power intermittently between 1800 - 2000 RPM... could the be the EGR cooler? I don't have excessive black smoke and I don't think its the turbo vane adjustment screw, as it seems that the guys in that thread have a big problem with low power.

kfcoltn

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
No, more than likely the variable turbo vanes sticky or out of adjustment. Mine still had a small blip as well after disconnecting EGR, but greatly improved. Read this thread on variable turbo actuation and adjustment and how it relates to the EGR. The EGR can remain slightly open even when disconnected due to wear, and high exhaust backpressure from the turbo vanes staying closed too long force too much exhaust into the intake and causes the misfire, which is worse with EGR connected because it opens up under low load allowing even more exhaust to be forced in, thats why it improved when EGR harness is disconnected.
Read this thread and all the links in it to get an understanding of how these systems work. There is a wealth of information here from DanG, jsrmonster and others.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=280804

ro.sniper

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
No, more than likely the variable turbo vanes sticky or out of adjustment. Mine still had a small blip as well after disconnecting EGR, but greatly improved. Read this thread on variable turbo actuation and adjustment and how it relates to the EGR. The EGR can remain slightly open even when disconnected due to wear, and high exhaust backpressure from the turbo vanes staying closed too long force too much exhaust into the intake and causes the misfire, which is worse with EGR connected because it opens up under low load allowing even more exhaust to be forced in, thats why it improved when EGR harness is disconnected.
Read this thread and all the links in it to get an understanding of how these systems work. There is a wealth of information here from DanG, jsrmonster and others.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=280804
Okay thanks for the info... next step is to install block off plates while leaving the cooler in place in order do diagnose the problem further. If blip still exists than that leaves the vane screw adjustment. I have VCDS so I'll check the spread for the turbo; from that thread it looks that it needs to be above 80mbar. I think I did that a while back and it was around 140mbar; I'll have to check again.

Marinel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I made a few sets of EGR block off plates on a CNC machine a little while ago that I would be willing to sell. Let me know if your interested.