Tdi conversion

TDI Jeep

TDI
06' New Beetle Diesel
Are there any places to get a drop in Tdi engine. I would like to get the high out put one. I would also need to pick up a tranny that would work with it. What does vw provide with the diesels in the way of manual trannys. 5 or 6 speed, good over drives etc. I could hook up a divorced transfer case, so that is no problem. Does anyone know about hooking tdi motors to non vw trannys.

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
I know there is a conversion kit available for the suzuki samurai, dunno about jeeps.

vw only makes transaxles as far as I know for TDIs, aside from maybe a transmission from an older van or something like that.

With enough time/money anything is possible.

AlbanyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Never seen anything for a Jeep. You'd need to figure out engine mounts (gotta mount the tdi longitudally - not transverse) and bell housing, flywheel, clutch adapters. Just to get started. Nothing I'd wanna attempt. You could not use a front drive VW tranny unless you want a front drive Jeep with custom half-shafts. Not to mention the gear ratio would be way too tall for all that weight and you'd chew gears up if you tried to offroad :)

Check with these guys, http://www.acmeadapters.com as they do Suzuki and Toyota TDI conversion kits.

TDI_SC

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Or.... Take the engine, transaxle, and half-shafts, and build a custom buggy, with mid-engine.

The half-shafts can be lengthened and be attached to the front & rear axle (fabrication involved ;) ) and the combination of the 1st gear, and the differential (transaxle) AND the ratio in the frt & rr diffs will make a very torquey buggy!

I've seen it done with chrysler minivan drivetrain!

JP

AlbanyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Now that's clever! Use the VW tranny as the center diff. Although, you'd want an LSD in the tranny otherwise if you hit something like ice and had wheel slippage, you'd effectively have one wheel drive. Center LSD would be more like having 4motion, in a very non-haldax, traction distributing kinda way.

TDI_SC

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium
No need for a LSD... Just use the "redneck center diff": One or two sticks of welding rods that you use to weld the spider gears together. Also known as "Lincoln Locker".

You can leave it always locked in the "center diff", and when you need 2WD you unlock the front hubs.

It's been done quite a bit.

JP

AlbanyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
HAHAHAHA the "Lincoln Locker"! That's great... I was gonna say, you couldn't drive that on pavement welded solid - but if you swapped in manual hubs, you'd be all set!

I see a project for the future...