BRM Engine Removal

TDI817

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2018 Golf-R
Hello everyone, I have a 2006 Jetta TDI.
I’m looking for some advice on removing the engine. If possible I’d like to leave the transmission in the car and just take the engine block out. The bores need to be honed and the top deck needs to be re surfaced.

Is it easier to take the transmission and engine out together or would it be easier to separate the block and only remove the block? The cylinder head has already been removed as well as the pistons.

I have a Bentley manual but it doesn’t cover any of this. I also bought the CD they have but I can’t open the files on any computer. Thanks for any help

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
I have a pdf file called "4-cylinder diesel engine with unit injector.pdf" that is in a subdirectory called edWin. Within this file are instructions as to how to remove the engine. Unfortunately, I do not remember exactly when or where I obtained this. I think it was on EBay, but I do not remember for sure. This file has been been very useful to me for my repairs.

I found the same document here, even though there is a cost: https://www.scribd.com/document/357132437/4-cylinder-diesel-engine-with-unit-injector-pdf

*** Correction of subdirectory name cited above: it is erWin not edWin .

Last edited:

TDI817

Veteran Member
TDI
That is amazing! Thank you so much for sharing! I downloaded it just now and I’m having a look though. Thanks again!!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The engine and transmission come out as an assembly.

How you do it depends mostly on what level of equipment you have, and how easy you want to make it.

You can drop the eng/trans out the bottom, and raise the car up and over it, if you have a lift.

You can take the lock carrier assembly off, and roll the eng/trans out the front on a wheeled crane if you have a way to recover the refrigerant.

dieselherb1

Veteran Member
TDI
06 MK5,09 Mk5 CR,03 Mk4,96,2-97 B4s,98 A3,2000 A4,4 Caddies( 2-1.6TD,1.6,TDI) Chevys 6.2,6.5,6.5TD
Out thru the front

k_pt

Veteran Member
TDI
VW MKIV TDI
I would pull engine and transmission.

And while I'm at it, change the clutch release bearing and check the dual mass flywheel.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Remove both, leaving the engine is one thing, trans is a totally different story.
I have pulled out the transmission by itself and I have pulled both together.
The second is much easier than the first as separation and assembly are much more difficult in the vehicle.
I do recommend breaking the torque on the mating bolts before removal to make it a little easier.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

mnbrown25

TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
I’m pulling the motor on my BRM right now as well. I’ve got the front of the car off and I’m planning on taking it out the front as an assembly. Would like to hear any problems or tips you might have.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I’m pulling the motor on my BRM right now as well. I’ve got the front of the car off and I’m planning on taking it out the front as an assembly. Would like to hear any problems or tips you might have.
What are your tools being used? Do you have a cherry picker, or are you using another method. I find a lever to control engine tilt made things a bit easier and comforted me in the centering of weight. The whole assembly is less than 600lbs and easy to control with a 4 foot or 2 meter lever

mnbrown25

TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
I haven’t gotten to picking the motor yet. I plan on using an engine hoist (cherry picker) with load leveler. So far I have pulled the front bumper and radiator support assembly. I am now removing connectors and accessories, and CV axels.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I haven’t gotten to picking the motor yet. I plan on using an engine hoist (cherry picker) with load leveler. So far I have pulled the front bumper and radiator support assembly. I am now removing connectors and accessories, and CV axels.
I would recommend putting the front end on ramps.
I lifted the front end to get the engines out and back in. Pita really, to jack it up and lower it, however, doable. if you have the AC discharged you can pull the lines and go straight out the front much easier.
I'm a shade tree mechanic so it was fun!
Mine is an ALH, similar experience, just a bit different. Cherry picker is much easier than what I did. Swap I did linked here showing the fun!
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=491470

Last edited:

TDI817

Veteran Member
TDI
How do you discharge the A/C system? That’s a lot of high pressure gas you do not want to breathe. Any advice on this? Thanks

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Take it to a facility and have it reclaimed. Maybe you can work out a deal with them to have your refrigerant put back in when you are done with the engine replacement.

OOPS! I did not consider if the car is still drivable.

Last edited:

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Take it to a facility and have it reclaimed. Maybe you can work out a deal with them to have your refrigerant put back in when you are done with the engine replacement.

OOPS! I did not consider if the car is still drivable.
Mobile services are outrageous, however, this is definitely the greatest issue with the disconnecting the AC. I was forced to in the end and well I tried to do it the right way, however, every one of the AC companies said let it go.... Should be a federal requirement that AC companies do this as a part of their services, really doesn't take that much time to evacuate it and you get all the gas to sell, or contractually put back in at the shop once running again,,,

mnbrown25

TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
How do you discharge the A/C system? That’s a lot of high pressure gas you do not want to breathe. Any advice on this? Thanks

I rented a dolly to get the car to a shop that could evacuate the AC system. The AC service didn't cost me anything and they keep record of how much refrigerant they removed, so that when (if) I bring the car back to have the system recharged, then I'm only paying for the additional refrigerant added plus the labor cost of the AC service.

I was advised that it was not a good idea to break the AC fittings due to moisture issues after reassembly, but I already disconnected the condenser...so too late. I wrapped up the fittings very tight with stretch wrap, so I shouldn't have too high of risk of moisture getting into the system, and I will replace the dryer eventually. Gotta get the motor rebuilt before any of that stuff matters.