Pesky leak (picture)

TDIL3dad

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 96 B4V project
Noted a puddle (yes almost an inch of water) in the B4V rear right passenger foot well. The car had been parked in my driveway for sometime (awaiting parts) and parked at a slight angle and we've had several days of rain recently.

The water must be coming from somewhere on the front passenger side and collecting in one corner due to incline of driveway. Looked around and did not see any obvious source. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
your moon roof or "sunroof" has a clogged drain pipe. look under the wheel well are for a blue plastic pipe and stick a long piece of wire up there and suck it out with a shop vac.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
The cabin filter tray may need to be resealed.

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I would check the cabin filter area first, for either a clogged cowl drain or a cracked water shield.

Next I would check the door seals for what looks like a trail of water. You might have to remove the sill covers (inside) to see where it might be coming it.

Lastly (and almost never) is the sunroof drain. This gets blamed all the time (just like the fan control module) but in fact is rarely the problem.

If that doesn't do it I'd start looking at my windshield for a bad seal somewhere. Maybe missing grommets in the firewall too.

Steve