Alarm Won't Shut Off, Car Won't Start

Beagles

Alarm Won\'t Shut Off, Car Won\'t Start

Anyone know how to disable the alarm system in a '98 Jetta? My remote quit working so I opened the door with the key, which caused the alarm to go off. According to the owners manual, this should not cause the alarm to go off. I tried several times and no luck. Right now, the car is locked with the key, but the alarm LED is not flashing. The car has crank-up windows, if that makes a difference. I'm going to pick up some new batteries for the remote tomorrow, but I don't see how this should be different from using the key to open the door. Please help!

bowlerman

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta tdi black
Re: Alarm Won\'t Shut Off, Car Won\'t Start

hi, i have had the same problem for a while now but havent gotten to it yet. i am going to take door apart and think something is either unconnected or broken? i dont yet have the fix but will try?

maineiac

I had a similar problem with my 98 Jetta. I would get in the car try and start it and the alarm would go off and the car wouldn't start. It turned out to be a bad wiring harness from the body of the car to the door. The wires had split and were shorting out, causing this and a few other problems. Easy to check, just pop off the boot between the door and the body of the car.

Good luck

Seth

Beagles

Well, I fooled around with it some and the only thing that seemed to work was when I put the key in the trunk lock while the alarm was going off. When I turned it counterclockwise, it shut the alarm off and let me start the car. Now all of the manual functions work, but I can't seem to get the remotes functioning. I replaced the batteries and went through the calibration procedure outlined in the Bentley manual, but still no luck. I'll investigate a little further when the weather gets a little warmer.

TomR

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen 02 Jetta red(gone), 1998 Jetta(gone), 1981 Rabbit dsl(gone)

I've also got an alarm issue, but only when it's wet or raining out. The alarm will set but continually go right off. I suspect one of the door harnesses.

Griz161

TDI

Last year my 99 jetta's alarm would go off for 3 secs while driving and then shut off on its own. Talk about a head turner in traffic, lights flashing ,horn blaring. Good work Mexico!!

This cleared up on its own and I'm just waiting for the next blast. I'm feel like I'm sitting on a Mexican gernade...