NB Exhaust pipe rusted at cat

TDIfor

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 NB Double Yellow
Gentlefolk;

'02 NB 5 sp. 178K miles

I posted earlier about a lost muffler...turns out the muffler is there, but the pipe right at the end of the cat has corroded through.

Local shop doesn't see a way to reattach, unless an insert were place inside the cat, welded in place, then this would give the remaining exhaust pipe something to attach to.

This approach would cause a restriction in the cat by... well, whatever thickness the insert would be.

My local guy also is not thrilled about welding on the car.

Sooo... the nex approach then is to replace the entire system from the exhaust header back.

Any ideas? I was under the car with my muffler guy, and I can see there is no place to weld a patch pipe to. We talked about...umm.... bypassing for test purposes only... the cat but that involves cutting away pipe right at the flex joint, which my muffer guy says would be the next point of failure..but this is not relevant, for this bypass would be for test purposes only and NOT intended for anything other than to guage performance and determine methodologies for correct exhaust repair and replacement.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Don

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Well, if it is any comfort, you are not alone. This is the preferred spot for the downpipe to fail and, yes, nobody wants to re-weld it there. I know, because I am driving around with a broken exhaust for the same reasons.

You are looking at doing a "turbo-back" replacement, which is no luxury at that age and mileage.

There are many, many options.....check eBay for a TDI downpipe, for example .... under $300, with cat. Then go to a muffler shop and just have them straight pipe it from there. You decide.

I would not further restrict the already narrow stock exhaust.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
I had that problem and got a new IDparts 304 stainless downpipe to replace it.

Stinks that it happens in such in an impossible spot to repair.

dalchri

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle
Well MY exhaust guy WAS willing to weld a smaller pipe into the cat and that is what I've been driving around for a year with no problem. Unless you are performance oriented, I don't think you'll ever mind it.

If you do replace the cat, be aware that I've heard the studs in the exhaust manifold have a tendency to snap off and you need to source them anyhow.

There are also el cheapo cats out there.

http://www.catalyticconverterwareho...E&engineid=L41161.9FIT@@L4-116cc+1.9L&mode=PS

I haven't heard that there are any kinds of problems once installed. However, when it is time to do a timing belt change, they don't have enough flex in the flex pipe and will snap with a BANG when you jack the engine up and down.

TDIfor

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 NB Double Yellow
Mine didn't break at the downpipe, but the aft part of the cat. Also have a hanger that clapped out on me also.

Well, since this is a common issue, my guru won't be confused by the issue and will see what he has to say. The muffler itself appears to be OK, but the rest of the piping is getting rather spotty looking, so I suppose the correct approach is the replace the entire system.

But, more than happy to postpone THAT for a $75/15 min. alternative.

<sigh>

thanks, all!