'Optimal' Shocks/Struts for 2002 Jetta TDI

duncanc

TDI
'02 Jetta
I have a 2002 Jetta TDI with 360,000 kms on it and am looking to replace the shocks/struts/mounts/bushings etc. I've been searching the forums and have found lots of recommendations for konis and bilsteins but have not found anything on these 'Optimal' shocks/struts advertised on idparts. I don't want to put much $$ into the car as I'll probably sell it in the next couple years as the miles climb but I would like a decent ride in the mean time. I don't need anything great in terms of handling I just would like to install shocks/struts that are middle of the road quality and will last. Does anyone have experience or opinions on these:
http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=36_63&products_id=4251

Thanks for your time

myfoxylady

TDI
'03 Wagon TDI
I just replaced my entire suspension front and rear from IDparts (mostly Koni, not Optima) and all I can say is buy all the "Available Options" they suggest for mounts, stops and bolts...I did and would've been hooped if I hadn't.

jonferns

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf
IDparts wouldn't sell junk, so those are fine. As mentioned above, make sure you pick up new mounts, hardware, etc as they always seem to be the things that hold the job up, and with that kind of mileage could probably use replacing anyway. Good luck!

GASDAG

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS 5MT Sedan Silver, 2004 GMC Sierra i.e. no need for a wagon
I got the Optimal Sport shocks and they are a fine OE replacement. They are not for handling or racing at all, they are for comfortable commuting. I did every single rubber mount /bearing/bushing as well, car rides like new.

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
BOGE/SACHS the best for OE replacements
Konis STRT are junk , the more expensive ones are probably good
Billstein is the preffered choice for handling

vdubdoc

TDI
2003 tdi
really happy with my oem bilstein replacement shocks key factor is new mounts i did ball joints and aarm bushings at the same time....drives just like when it was brand new but 25kmi later strut mount bushings already showing wear so do not cheap out polyurethane for sure fore mount bushings

tjsean0308

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV wagon 5spd graphite blue
I'll weigh in here. Just did all new Suplex springs and Bilstein TC (non sport) all the way around. Very happy and quite glad I bought all the goodies with them from IDparts. The car is a bit stiffer. Tough to tell how much as my stuff was totally clapped out. The ride is very compliant much better road feel you can feel more cracks and whatnot but definitely not harsh. No more wallowing on the highway with an extra person or two in the car. It no longer bottoms out at the bottom a hill carrying a bit of speed also no more dragging out of the driveway either.

Great ride very comfy and compliant but firm nice boost in ride height would definitely, buy again.

minis2003

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 beetle w/DSG, 2015 Jetta TDI w/DSG
i am looking at replacing my front struts soon. other then
two front struts and two mounting kits what else do i need to get from IDparts
so i do not come up with any surprises when i start work on the 06 new beetle tdi

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
strut mounts
strut bearings
bump stops

you can reuse the old bolts