Touareg vs Q5

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
I wonder if VW monitors the forums at all. My service tech got sent by VW out to Nevada for field testing and training on the Treg vs. what VW considers to be the top two competing vehicles. They consider the Acura MDX and BMW X5 to be the top competition. As I read through the forums where posters are considering different vehicles, I don't see the MDX ever mentioned and only on occasion the X5. Perhaps a part of the reason is that this is a diesel forum, but I wonder if VW truly understands what the competitive vehicles are here.
I truly do not know if "VW" per se "formally" monitors forums like these (www.clubtouareg.com another). But they would be CRAZY not to, @ some level.
Indeed, before getting the 12 VW T TDI, I picked the top 5 (@ that time) to closely look at from:

The gold standard in the segment was the 1. Acura MDX.

2. BMW X5 35D built in US 3. MB ML350 BlueTec 4. VW T TDI 5. Audi Q7 6.Audi Q5 7. Porsche Cayenne 8. I FX35 9. Volvo XC 60

Once the diesel decision is made, naturally a lot drops out no matter how good/bad. But IF I were to get a gasser, MDX would STILL be in the top 5 list, even as it has gone from the Honda Odyssey platform to the shared RDX platform. MPG (if that is important) has gone up to 28 mpg H EPA with the VW T TDI still @ 29 mpg. The CUV crossover segments (small,medium, large) are probably the hottest and most competitive segments around.

Basically the VW T is a lesser optioned Porsche Cayenne. Indeed while Porsche purists will want to deny it, the model is almost singlehandedly responsible for savings Porsche's (later day) "bacon" so to speak. It is build on the same production line in Slovakia. However at some stage of completion (unknown to me personally) is shipped off to another assembly plant to do a lot of the Porsche offered options and finishing.

Last edited:

Yeti35

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
I'm in a 2013 Treg TDI Sport w/ tow package. Dealer advises that factory installed hitch not available after 2013 model year. If that's true, it reduces two capacity for 2014 MY to aftermarket tow rating.
That is funny since you can go to VW's site and see the tow hitch as standard feature on the '14 Touareg. I'd sale your sales person has no clue what is going on which really does not surprise me at all. They are there to sell you a car, they apparently don't need to know a whole lot about what they are selling.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
So, even though the X3 diesel is several months away, I decided to visit the BMW and MB dealers and look them over. I drove a '14 X3 with the 4 cylinder gas, but optioned very closely to what I would like. I know the 2015 will have some body changes, but I don't think there will be anything severely different with the interior. The MB dealer didn't have any diesel GLKs in stock, so I drove a gas model. It wasn't optioned quite as well, but my option list wouldn't make much difference in the fit, feel or driving.

I felt extremely comfortable in the X3, It felt roomier than my Tiguan, even though the published interior dimensions are almost identical. I really liked the heads up display, and was focused perfectly in front of the windshield. I was worried that with my bifocals it might be difficult to see. The majority of the controls fall well at hand. It was quieter than my Tiguan. It is certainly smaller inside than the Touareg, but just felt good. I am eager to try it with the diesel. I did take a hop in a diesel 3 Series, to get a feel for the engine. Felt more than adequate for my purposes, and had plenty of scoot.

For being listed as almost identical to the X3 inside and out, the GLK felt more confined. The different control stalks on the steering column were not as well laid out as either the X3, or any VW for that matter. The salesman had to point out how to activate the rear window wiper. I couldn't find it. Many reports say the rear seats are too small, but they didn't seem much different than my Tiguan. I'm not sure their multi-function display works as easily as the "iWhatever they call it" in the BMW. The one I drove didn't have NAV, so can't compare the two screens.

I'm going to wait until I can drive diesel versions of them both before I decide which way to go. Right now I'm thinking very favorable towards the X3, but I have to see and drive the diesel, and see what the price really is. If it gets too ridiculous, I may just stick with my tried and true VW and get a Touareg. I don't think I want to wait for them to make up their minds about a TDI Tiguan or CrossBlue. VW management move a glacier speed when it comes to introducing new models in the US! :rolleyes:

Yeti35

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
The TDI Tiguan is supposed to be coming to NA next year. But I don't think it will be the 3.0 V6, but the 2.0 I4.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
The TDI Tiguan is supposed to be coming to NA next year. But I don't think it will be the 3.0 V6, but the 2.0 I4.
If I could find some confirmation on that, I would likely wait. However, the rumors I'm hearing (for whatever they're worth!:)) is that whatever new model is built in Tennessee will likely replace the Tiguan in the NA market. Personally, I think there's room in their lineup for the Tiguan and the CrossBlue, but only if they can keep prices in line.

dxr

TDI
2010 SportWagen, 2003 Passat wagon, 2001 Golf.
Beyond the obvious, tig 3.0 mileage is virtually identical to 2.0 q5, tig is a heavier bigger chassis... If you need a " car" go q5, if you " need" a truck go tiguan...

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
dxr, I think you are mixing models. The Tiguan (in the US) is only available with the 2.0T gas engine. There is no 3.0. The Tig is also not a bigger, heavier chassis. I think you are confusing the Touareg with the Tiguan.

Yes, the Touareg 3.0 TDI mileage is roughly the same as the Q5 2.0T gas engine. However, that's not the option I'm considering. I am focusing solely on a diesel engine. Both the Q5 and Touareg have the 3.0 V6 TDI, with the Q5 having better mileage because it's smaller and lighter. There is currently only one 4 cylinder diesel SUV/Crossover in the US, and that's the MB GLK. However, with BMW releasing the X3 diesel this spring, there will be a choice. Since I'm looking at mileage more than performance, the X3 is looking very interesting. However, if VW can get the TDI Tiguan in the US reasonably soon, then we have a 3 horse race.

eddjmemg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta
I've owned a '09 Q7 wth the 4.2 V8 and currently a '11 Touareg TDI. The Q7 was a great touring car. That Quattro is amazing as I made many trips to Crystal and Stevens and did great. It handled great. Only thing was all the electrical bugs n little things breaking left and right. Then the $2,000 brake job came around.
So far the Touareg has been great. 30 mpg and no issues other than a faulty rear door. It's not a great handling cart like the Q7 but I don't live in the Great PNW anymore. The AWD in the Touareg is basically the same as the Q7. The quality on the interior and exterior on the Touareg is just as good as the Audis.
I've test driven several Q5s and was impressed. It's not as good handling as the Q7 IMO but still a great car. I love the quality and simplicity of it's design.
Touareg and Q5 TDIs are both winners in my book. I drive the Touareg because I have a family to haul around and my wife drives it with the kids everyday and makes me feel more comfortable her driving a bigger car.
Read the reviews on both cars. In recent years they have outperformed all other comparable cars. Either way you won't be disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeti35

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
Brakes not any cheaper on T-Reg. I had that discusion with my mechanic when I was looking for one before I got the Grand Cherokee
Only expensive if you have the dealer do them and pay their ridiculous prices. Not bad if you do them yourself. I only paid about $600 to do them on my 04 and that was for pads, rotors, sensors and all other small parts.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
I have to leave my Tig with the dealer over the weekend to replace the RNS-510. Since he knows of my interest in a new diesel, I'm curious to see if he gives me a Touareg to drive. That's what he did a couple of months ago, which started my whole thought process about maybe getting a new car. Maybe he knows me too well... :)

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ;2006 Golf; 2015 Jetta S
Only expensive if you have the dealer do them and pay their ridiculous prices. Not bad if you do them yourself. I only paid about $600 to do them on my 04 and that was for pads, rotors, sensors and all other small parts.
I am sure my Jeep would be half of that.

Yeti35

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
I am sure my Jeep would be half of that.
I'm sure your Jeep would be cheaper since it is not using Brembo brakes on it. $600 for when I did mine was a good deal in my book. My 04 had 6 piston front, four piston rear calipers.

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ;2006 Golf; 2015 Jetta S
I'm sure your Jeep would be cheaper since it is not using Brembo brakes on it. $600 for when I did mine was a good deal in my book. My 04 had 6 piston front, four piston rear calipers.
Yes, that is true, which goes back to the point of the expense of it and a deciding factor on the purchase, for me it is a truck and not a sports car, as much as I love VWs it more than serves it purpose.

eddjmemg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta
Have you seen the size of the rotors and calipers on the 4.2 V8 Q7s? Lol. You're comparing regular car size to big humongous rotors and calipers on the Q7. Very different setup. Almost twice as big as the Touareg TDI. I haven't needed a brake job yet but I already priced and it would be less than $1k for everything. That's a lot easier to swallow than $2k. I'm sure the Jeep would be much cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
X3 28d is evidently available now if you believe BMW's website. It has a HUD. Nice feature, btw.
They must have just added it this morning. I've been checking the site almost daily.

The info I've found on some BMW forums claim a start of production some time this month, with the cars being available beginning in May. Remains to be seen what will be available in that early production run.

Using the build page, I hit $56,000 on the nose for all my bells and whistles. Better than a Q5 for equal or better option list and far below a Touareg Executive. And you can pick it up straight from the factory and drive it home. :D

cyberdiesel

TDI
2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited
They must have just added it this morning. I've been checking the site almost daily.

The info I've found on some BMW forums claim a start of production some time this month, with the cars being available beginning in May. Remains to be seen what will be available in that early production run.

Using the build page, I hit $56,000 on the nose for all my bells and whistles. Better than a Q5 for equal or better option list and far below a Touareg Executive. And you can pick it up straight from the factory and drive it home. :D
They should be hitting dealers as we speak. I stopped by recently, and that's the info they gave me. Size wise the X3 is too small, particularly with rear passengers. If I drive, there is no room for legs behind me in the X3.

The Touareg is definitely the better choice, IMHO.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
I've decided to hold off and see what VW will be offering for '15. For me, the Touareg is just a little too large, and I don't need even the V6. I'd rather have a four and get better mileage. Have nothing to tow, and seldom even more than one passenger. The X-3 would fit me fine, but I just have great angst about leaving my VW dealer. Yes, I think they're that good. :)

If VW can get a TDI Tiguan, or Audi a Q3 TDI, that would be my preference. But if nothing seems to be coming down the pipe, at least BMW will have a little time under their belt to show the engine is reliable.

VW/Porsche Fahrer

TDI
2012 Touareg Sport with Nav.
I've decided to hold off and see what VW will be offering for '15. For me, the Touareg is just a little too large, and I don't need even the V6. I'd rather have a four and get better mileage. Have nothing to tow, and seldom even more than one passenger. The X-3 would fit me fine, but I just have great angst about leaving my VW dealer. Yes, I think they're that good. :)

If VW can get a TDI Tiguan, or Audi a Q3 TDI, that would be my preference. But if nothing seems to be coming down the pipe, at least BMW will have a little time under their belt to show the engine is reliable.
You might want to check out the Sportwagen TDI based on what you have written.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
You might want to check out the Sportwagen TDI based on what you have written.
The wagen sits too close to the ground. I'm getting too old, and it's much more comfortable to just slide into the seat, instead of having to lower myself down. Other than that, yeah the Sportswagen would be interesting.

However, I have the same issue with it that I have with most VW models now. Their top line radio is the RNS-315, which in my opinion is garbage. Waiting to see what the specs are for the radios coming in the new models.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
Hello again all.

My VW dealer has an 2014 Audi Q5 TDI (executive vehicle) for sale. He picked it up at an internal VW auction. Has just over 8000 miles. I took it for a test last weekend and it showed 37 MPG on a freeway trip from the dealer to a shopping mall and back. About 15 miles each way, up and down hills, speed between 60-70. Was it lying to me, or could the Q5 actually do that much better than a Touareg with the same engine? The Q5 isn't that much lighter, either (~500lbs).

My struggle is equipment. The Q5 is a Premium Plus, with the MMI Navigation as the only option. If I instead bought a 2015, there's a Luxury package with ventilated seats, and the B&O audio is available. Of course, it would be about $8000 more.

Also, they've released the equipment options for the 2015 Touareg, and Active Cruise Control is available. What I don't know yet is pricing. If they keep pricing in line, I could get a new 15 Touareg Lux for close to the same as this used Q5. I know it will never get 35+MPG, but who knows?

VW/Porsche Fahrer

TDI
2012 Touareg Sport with Nav.
37 mpg seems a bit high. The trip computers generally exaggerate by about 2 mpg. On a long trip my TDI Touareg shows an average of 31 mpg but I know the real number is more like 29. I would expect the Q5 to get about 2 mpg higher than the T.

fowvey

Veteran Member
TDI
(2014 Jetta TDI DSG) -Gone, but not forgotten, 2014 Audi A6 TDI
I drive about 20 miles one way to work every day alternating the A6 and Jetta. On the way its relatively downhill then flat. Coming back is of course flat then light uphill. The A6 will see 45-46 MPG going, and about 33-34 coming. All while cruising at 70 for 16 miles. That is with AC on full too. My tanks will usually range from 31-35. Its not always driven lightly though ;). I'd imagine a 2-3 MPG hit on the Q5 in the same circumstances.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
I drive about 20 miles one way to work every day alternating the A6 and Jetta. On the way its relatively downhill then flat. Coming back is of course flat then light uphill. The A6 will see 45-46 MPG going, and about 33-34 coming. All while cruising at 70 for 16 miles. That is with AC on full too. My tanks will usually range from 31-35. Its not always driven lightly though ;). I'd imagine a 2-3 MPG hit on the Q5 in the same circumstances.
That's great information. Appreciate it! :D

From my home, my commute is a 300' drop in elevation in under a half mile (steep hill), then reasonably flat all the way to work. As you said, coming home is the reverse. My Tiguan usually shows 28-29MPG when I get there. Coming home, usually about 21-22. I've had a Passat TDI on loan that would show 52 going and 42 coming back. Of course, heavier traffic in the afternoon compared to 4:30AM :p

coastie743

TDI
2012 Touareg TDI sport, 2014 Passat TDI SE Manual
When I bought my 2012 T-reg I looked at several options. Looked at the Q5 gas (no diesel option then), Q7, X3 gas, and X5. Test drove all of the above. I liked the Q5, but really wanted the diesel, and ability to tow. so that pretty much eliminated the Q5 and X3... However I still drove them. Really liked them both, but I like the Touareg even more. It is a lot more vehicle than the Q5 or X3 in my opinion. And with year end deals and the 0% financing it made the decision even easier. I enjoyed driving both the X3 and Q5, and they had some options that my T-reg sport didnt have. But the touareg has a LOT more room inside, and the towing capacity was huge for me. Allowed me to get rid of my previous tow vehicle and move to a sedan saving a ton on fuel. Now a couple years and 50k miles later I wouldnt change my decision at all. The only feature that I really miss with the VW had that the others have was memory seats,. The wife and I really miss that. Oh, and as mentioned before the run-flat tires was a huge turn off for the BMW. Had them on a 3 series and hated them. Loud, didnt like the ride, and I think they tend to pull the car around when they grab a abnormality in the road like a groove or tear in the asphalt... And if you switch over to conventional tires then you have to buy a spare kit, and store it... such a pain in the rear. Def consider that when you are looking that the BMW. I do love BMW service and how they treated their customers compared to Audi and VW. Got a letter after I purchased my Touareg informing me of the Touareg customer care package... Sounds great but its a joke, have never received a loaner, calling them to schedule anything is just an extra step and more difficult than calling your dealer. And they mentioned pick up and drop off of your Touareg... yeah right. BMW was always great, at least the dealer I had in Wilmington, NC. Far surpassed MOST of the VW dealers I have dealt with. However the VW dealer in Wilmington NC was always great to deal with as well... So maybe competition breeds productivity there, who knows. I do know in Maine I have been horribly disapointed with the service at two seperate dealerships for VW

coastie743

TDI
2012 Touareg TDI sport, 2014 Passat TDI SE Manual
Oh and real world for my Touareg, I typically see about 27-28 mpg mixed typical commute driving. Highway depending on speed I see from 30-33. When towing my boat (Parker 21' center console) I get around 15-16.

Also in the snow here the Touareg is amazing... Cant complain about handling or ability one bit

Last edited:

rtalberg

TDI
2004 passat sdn 2005 passat wagon 2009 Tourag
We have owned a 09 Touareg V6 TDI for 5 years. I have 80K on it. Second set of tires replaced brakes no other maintenance other than Oil changes. Extremely happy with the vehicle overall. Because my wife enjoyed driving it so much we recently purchased a 15 Q5 TDI thru European delivery. What a great experience that was. The 2 vehicles though similar in looks and engine option they are quite different. My Touareg has the
2 speed transfer case and weighs in somewhere around 5300lbs my wife's Q5 weighs 4250lbs huge difference. The Q5 handles better and is much more nimble. The Touareg can tow 7700lbs the Q5 4400lbs. I have towed a 2 place snowmobile trailer with both. 23mpg Q5 18 mpg with Touareg. I occasionally tow a 4 place snowmobile trailer with brake controller with Touareg not possible with Q5. My 09 T is a basic model the 15 Q5 is Premium Plus with Nav . Not fair to compare 5 years newer more up to date technology. Both front and rear are very comfortable and roomy inside with advantage to the TReg. The Q5 is still very nice in the rear for adults.

Performance and Fuel economy is much better in the Q5. The Treg performance is more than adequate, but Q5 is like a mini rocket ship. Fuel mileage is much better in the Q5 I have several examples
Going to work Best Ever: TREG 32.3 Q5 42.3
Trip to NYC: TREG 28.5, Q5 41.2.
Trip to Northern VT: TREG 26.5 Q5 36.1
Recent calculation by hand:TREG 24.8 Q5 35.5

I am sure the newer TREG would be a little better on fuel being 400-500 lbs lighter. It will never be able to perform as well as the much lighter Q5 with it's Aluminum hood and use of high tensile strength steel. Before our Q5 purchase we drove the MBGLK 250 the BMW325d sportwagen and looked at the X3 Diesel. The X3 and GLK are very similar to the Q5. Both rated for 1-3mpg better than Q5. Both well made great options. Neither one puts a smile on your face like the Q5 does during hard acceleration simply unbelievable. The 325D Sportwagen is much better on fuel great handling but not a SUV I also really like the A6 TDI which we Test drove last weekend. Talk about fast, great on fuel, light, great handling this may replace my 2010 JSW TDI next year. European delivery of course.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, my wife made me an offer I couldn't refuse. :D

She told me to go buy a Passat, then we'll wait to see what VW comes up with in the next couple of years. I couldn't believe she actually suggested it. What a lady!

So, I picked up a new '14 Passat SEL. I miss some of the stuff in the Tiguan (higher seating position, HID lights, 4motion), but I can't complain with going from 22MPG to 40+. Fuelly is still smoothing out my mileage, but I made a 400 mile trip to Oregon and back last weekend and hit an easy 44MPG. That included some significant traffic as well though downtown Portland, as well as the backroads to McMinnville. If the Distance to Empty had any validity (I know it changes significantly when you get off the freeway), I could have made 800 miles on the tank.

So, we'll just see what the CrossBlue ends up looking like when it pops out of the factory (with a TDI, naturally), or see if the TDI Tiguan finally makes its way into North America. :)

Yeti35

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
I am sure the newer TREG would be a little better on fuel being 400-500 lbs lighter. It will never be able to perform as well as the much lighter Q5 with it's Aluminum hood and use of high tensile strength steel.
You realize your 09 has an aluminum hood as well as plastic front fenders? I also think there is more aluminum in the car elsewhere as well. It is just a heavy constructed car given that VW wanted it to be for off road use as well as safety. I am guessing the Q5 economy also is better due to having two more gears in the tranny over the 09 TDI. So not really a fair comparison in that sense, but glad you are happy with both. :)