New Owner of 2011 JSW question/issues

vw dragon

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen 2.0L TDI, 2014 Passat 2.5
I bought a 2011 JSW with 99k on Monday from a pretty reputable dealer/mechanic shop in my area who specialize in VWs. I was assured anything on the maintenance end of the car that needed to be taken care of was fixed before purchase. Wednesday the CEL is staring at me in the face. I call the shop take the car over Thurday morning they pull the codes, literally after 150 miles of driving. They tell me the EGR valve needs cleaning bring it in tomorrow morning. I get to work borrow my coworkers computer and pull p0401 and p2002. I get on here and determine its probably a cracked DPF clogging the EGR. I get a call from the dealer/mechanic shop "ohh hey the issue from the CEL is under the manufacture warranty you have an appointment with the VW dealership tomorrow morning." So I take the car to the VW dealership, tell them the issue and what codes i pulled. They said ok we are going to run the diagnosis on it then we will let you know whats going on. I get the call we just did a computer forced regen drove the car for 5 miles and the light didn't come back on it should be good. Well guess what a day later lights back on same codes. So we will see what happens........

1. I'm wondering would some one know the DPF is cracked or has an issue before being sold?
2. If a master mechanic saw the codes p0401 and p2002 on a TDI would they simply write it off as an egr cleaning or trying to CYA?
3. Is it standard practice by a VW dealership to see the codes and perform a computer forced regen, instead of actually fixing the issue? The guy i spoke with also lead me to believe his words " this is how VW wants us to deal with these issues with the new warranty so we get paid from them we have to go through a certain process".

So my first week of TDI ownership has been interesting to say the least

Last edited:

DBubba65

TDI
2012 JSW
I too recently bought a 2012 JSW and had the HPFP fail in less than 30 days. There are certain protocols that are followed by dealer techs on these cars to ensure the repairs are performed properly and VW is not gouged with 8K repairs. I feel pretty confident they will take the steps necessary to get to the bottom of it and get you back on the road..
D

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
A really great reason to not buy a 2009 through 2014 TDI. Once the warranty runs out, if you want to keep the car, get a 2nd mortgage on your house.

A clogged EGR filter is the dead giveaway for a cracked DPF. The dealer is just trying to buy time per VW's plan. Besides that, many dealers are pretty incompetent when it comes to diagnosing and repairing the cars their dealer sells.

Last edited:

vw dragon

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen 2.0L TDI, 2014 Passat 2.5
Dealer as of today ordering new DPF and EGR under warranty. Anything I should keep a eye on after the fix or drive it like i stole it