Parasitic Loads?

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
Any idea if there is much parasitic load on the MK7? I would expect a minute amount from the alarm and the KAM. My MK7 will likely sit during the week and only be driven on weekends. The parasitic loads on my Powerstroke are substantial and I ended up installing a Battery Tender under the hood as it sits in the garage till needed for towing. Wondering if I need to do the same with the MK7.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
I would just install one and forget about it. Small price to pay to know ur battery is being maintained.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
I would just install one and forget about it. Small price to pay to know ur battery is being maintained.
I probably will. When I did the Ford I went with Deltran Battery Tender but now there are so many other options of smart chargers/maintainers and even desulphaters it's tough to know what to choose.

kdawg89

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf DSG 06 Jetta (sold)
I wouldn't worry about it, you can easily check the parasitic draw with a multimeter but unless something is wrong it should be able to sit for weeks and still start no problem. Unless your powerstroke sits for a very long time there is something wrong with it. My 2017 Powerstroke can sit for weeks and there is no issue with the batteries running down. If this is an OBS era powerstroke ie 97ish then parasitic draws are a problem on those and can be a pain in the butt to track down. The radio is a pretty common source.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
I wouldn't worry about it, you can easily check the parasitic draw with a multimeter but unless something is wrong it should be able to sit for weeks and still start no problem. Unless your powerstroke sits for a very long time there is something wrong with it. My 2017 Powerstroke can sit for weeks and there is no issue with the batteries running down. If this is an OBS era powerstroke ie 97ish then parasitic draws are a problem on those and can be a pain in the butt to track down. The radio is a pretty common source.
The PSD is an 02 and the reason for the Battery Tender is that my batteries were only lasting 3 years so I figured they were sulphating excessively during my 1 to 3 week periods of non use. It never let me down but there were times of slow cranking.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
My powerstroke eats batteries for lunch too. My tdi never had any similar problems. The factory battery was 8 years old and 175k miles when I sold it back to VW, and still spinning it up no problem.

kdawg89

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf DSG 06 Jetta (sold)
The PSD is an 02 and the reason for the Battery Tender is that my batteries were only lasting 3 years so I figured they were sulphating excessively during my 1 to 3 week periods of non use. It never let me down but there were times of slow cranking.

Makes sense, I love the 02 power stroke they are just reliable work horses! My dad had one and it was the best truck ever from a reliably stand point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk