Timing belt uh oh...

TriviaSteve

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS Wagon, 550K miles, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI S, 100K miles and a 65 beetle
Can anyone steer me in the direction for an aftermarket timing belt kit for the 2015 TDI? apparently my shop and my parts supplier say there are none in existence...

kdawg89

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf DSG 06 Jetta (sold)
Check IDParts, did yours break or something or did you reach the interval?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nectarguru

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2015 Golf SE
For the record, what is the interval again? 130k on the original belt?

Last edited:

kdawg89

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf DSG 06 Jetta (sold)
Yeah, I believe 130k, I’ll probably only go 110 or 120. VW has a history of having to reduce timing intervals because the belts start breaking early.

Edit: I don’t mean specifically on this engine but they have on other engines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I'd just do it at 130k. There's a significant safety margin factored into the interval. It'd likely go 200k, though not advisable.

larrydk

Veteran Member
TDI
Sportwagen
timing belt

I just did my 80k service last night...is timing belt something I can do myself....it's one thing I've never done before on a vehicle.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
what else have you don on your car?

One of the sticking points would be the timing belt tools, if you gotta source those you're looking at another what 2-300? at that point you're at what 5-600 all in? Many shops charge $1,000 for CR TB, so is it worth your time an effort to save $400 with what might be a weekend worth of work (multiple beer breaks).

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The special tools are $150. It's not a tough job, but a lot better if you have a garage/covered work area to do it- especially during winter. Just print out one of the instructional guides and follow the steps.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
The special tools are $150. It's not a tough job, but a lot better if you have a garage/covered work area to do it- especially during winter. Just print out one of the instructional guides and follow the steps.
I need to dig up the MK7 TDI process. I haven't dug into a MK7 TB job but plenty of MK4/5/6's under my belt with the help guides we have access to in the forums.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I need to dig up the MK7 TDI process. I haven't dug into a MK7 TB job but plenty of MK4/5/6's under my belt with the help guides we have access to in the forums.
I haven't investigated it either, but from the looks of things, the mk7 timing belt job should be nearly identical to the mk6 process. Same tools should work too if you still have them.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
130k miles is the manufacturer specified interval in the US. That dealer is wrong/incompetent. Should be around $1000 from a good Indy mechanic that replaces all parts in the timing belt path+ accessory belt.

elcid86

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
130k miles is the manufacturer specified interval in the US. That dealer is wrong/incompetent. Should be around $1000 from a good Indy mechanic that replaces all parts in the timing belt path+ accessory belt.
The service advisor did not instill a lot of confidence... I would agree with you [emoji817] %

larrydk

Veteran Member
TDI
Sportwagen
I do have a garage at my disposal....I looked at the work that had to be done, definitely within my skill set, but may not be worth the frustration? When I get close to the 110k mark I'll start thinking about it some more.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's well worth it if you've turned a wrench or two in the past. I found it fairly rewarding actually.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
The service advisor did not instill a lot of confidence... I would agree with you [emoji817] %
that's why they don't let service advisors work on the car. Sadly the person interfacing the customer always seems to be the least knowledgeable person.

elcid86

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
that's why they don't let service advisors work on the car. Sadly the person interfacing the customer always seems to be the least knowledgeable person.

So true. To the question above on the trouble free miles, though not directed to me, I bought my ‘15 with right at 100k on it. The PO had dealer maintenance done on a regular basis. I’ve put about 13k on her in the last 13 months and have not had any issues other than a rattle somewhere in the center console.
I’m starting to do some DIY PM like fuel filter, DSG service since I’m not 100% confident the PO’s dealer did it (I don’t necessarily believe all work done at specified mile maintenance is done.).

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
So true. To the question above on the trouble free miles, though not directed to me, I bought my ‘15 with right at 100k on it. The PO had dealer maintenance done on a regular basis. I’ve put about 13k on her in the last 13 months and have not had any issues other than a rattle somewhere in the center console.
I’m starting to do some DIY PM like fuel filter, DSG service since I’m not 100% confident the PO’s dealer did it (I don’t necessarily believe all work done at specified mile maintenance is done.).

Thanks, that is very encouraging. This is my first ever VW but not my first diesel having owned Ford (IH), GM and Mercedes diesels. So I am thinking this car will not be problematic like many of the newer American made diesel pickups? I own a near mint 2002 7.3 Powerstroke that never gives me any trouble, I got the end of a good era on that truck. Seems like I may have gotten in on the end of a good era with the Sportwagen as well.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
I haven't investigated it either, but from the looks of things, the mk7 timing belt job should be nearly identical to the mk6 process. Same tools should work too if you still have them.
Never get rid of VW tools! :D Have ALH and BRM Tb jobs I need to get to in the next couple weeks, glad to see/hear the job should be about the same. Now to just keep driving and enjoying my wagen. Couldn't be happier with this thing.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Never get rid of VW tools! :D Have ALH and BRM Tb jobs I need to get to in the next couple weeks, glad to see/hear the job should be about the same. Now to just keep driving and enjoying my wagen. Couldn't be happier with this thing.
Shoot, I don't even get rid of the old tty bolts! I may have a hording problem. :D

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Quite a bit easier. You don't have to mess with the motor mount(replace the tensioner stud instead) or timing the pump.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
I’ve put about 13k on her in the last 13 months and have not had any issues other than a rattle somewhere in the center console.
My 2012 Sportwagen developed a rattle down in the center console and I started fearing problems with my dual mass flywheel since I was at 125K. Luckily it turned out to be a cable that had dropped down and was vibrating/banging against the tunnel.

I don't know what kind of cables/linkage are on a DSG (mine was a DSG, too). I didn't do the fix. A dealer did it during an oil change and it was completely resolved. It really only did it under heavy acceleration or going up a hill. The dealer didn't charge me for the fix but I think the speeding ticket I got on the way home while testing it was about $300 or $400 dollars :mad:

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Dealer told me yesterday it’s 120k (and quoted $1400 for it and WP)
I’m definitely looking for an Indy shop... and may push it to 130k.
+1 more on the 130k interval. Tom in Stafford is more than capable of doing this for you. I'd shoot him a message. MK7 uses same tools to lock the crank and pin the camshaft.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Once I get an EA288 in for a timing belt I'll update the How-to but I agree...looks very similar.