Burning oil on 15 Passat TDI

abishoff

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I’ve been having issues on my 15 Passat since about the 60k miles mark, it has almost 110,000 miles now. Historically, at about 8k into the 10k oil change interval, my low oil light comes on. I’ve had the turbo replaced under warranty at 80k miles, and I think they also replaced the oil level sensor.

Once again I’m about 8k miles into the interval and the low oil light is on again.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
How much oil is it "burning." Without this clarification, discussion can't move forward.

Maybe it's an issue with the sensor?

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Though I do not have nearly the amount of miles on my 2015 Passat, it does not use/burn any oil. Just a short time ago I finished a six day 3,500 mile trip and no oil usage.

abishoff

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
How much oil is it "burning." Without this clarification, discussion can't move forward.

Maybe it's an issue with the sensor?

It’s burning enough oil to make the low oil light come on the dashboard. I’m not sure how much that would be. I believe the dealership replaced the sensor under warranty already.

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Start checking the oil level every week, and when you fill the car up.

Carry an extra qt of oil, and add oil as needed to keep the level full, while
recording the amount of oil you add over the use of the qt added.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
2015 turbo failure? hmm, deff document the oil useage, anything more than a quart over 10k is excessive

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
you're car does have a dip stick you know ;)

I have to imagein you're also having the dealer do the oil change?

If they under fill, bottom of the hash marks it's about .75-1qrt lowish, the warning light comes on if it's what 1.5-2 qrts low, not sure.

I'd say biggest thing to know to be concerned about oil consumption would be what was the fill level at the oil change.

abishoff

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I’m positive it was filled properly the last time. But it’s definitely low.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
maybe not, even the OEM owners Manuel is printed wrong- and so is jiffy lubes internal documents showing 4.5 quarts (the ckra engine) when the 2015 takes 5.8! and that difference is about what your dipstick shows

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I'd top it up w/ oil and start checking the dipstick once a week. If it's using a quart every 8k miles, that's really not anything to be too concerned about, imo. I once had a 4 cyl. Dodge caravan that burned a quart roughly every 200 miles and would not die. Eventually a deer took it off of the road.

abishoff

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I'd top it up w/ oil and start checking the dipstick once a week. If it's using a quart every 8k miles, that's really not anything to be too concerned about, imo. I once had a 4 cyl. Dodge caravan that burned a quart roughly every 200 miles and would not die. Eventually a deer took it off of the road.

I think any vehicle the burns through a quart of oil within the change interval is definitely signs of an issue. I have 3 other vehicles, each with more than the 110k miles on my VW. None of them burn oil. While they aren’t diesels they are all some kind of forced induction and make decent power. And I run them all hard AF.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
my old CKRA did snap up a half quart over 10k, its the only rig I have ever owned that usesd oil, and I bought it new- broke it in right.... it was strange
I still think someone only put 4.5Q in it vs the required 5.8 its alarmingly common.

Last edited:

abishoff

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
my old CKRA did snap up a half quart over 10k, its the only rig I have ever owned that usesd oil, and I bought it new- broke it in right.... it was strange
I still think someone only put 4.5Q in it vs the required 5.8 its alarmingly common.

Ok. I went in a used my free oil change from after you get the TDI phase2 fix. Here is where the oil level is. Also, it looks very Dark after only 120miles since it was done.

joshuafail

TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premium
Also, it looks very Dark after only 120miles since it was done.
Typical/natural of diesels.

Simply put, all diesels produce WAY more soot during combustion than gassers do and due to a diesel's higher compression ratio, more oil containing soot can slip past the piston rings and dirty the oil in the crankcase. It's harmless, and diesel oil is designed for this.

Like others have said, monitor the levels over the next few weeks and see if there's a change. Without an obvious leak, oil spots on the driveway or a dramatic increase of soot on the tailpipe/bumper, it's highly likely it was under-filled with oil at the last change.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
New diesel oil will look like that after only a few minutes of running the engine.
...and it looks like you're still 1/2 quart low...

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
You're still down about 1/2-2/3 a liter. Top it off to the top of the hash marks on the dipstick and keep an eye on the level. Looks like the dealership has been skimping on the refills.

abishoff

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
You're still down about 1/2-2/3 a liter. Top it off to the top of the hash marks on the dipstick and keep an eye on the level. Looks like the dealership has been skimping on the refills.

I talked to the service manager and he told me that the middle of the hashmarks is where it’s supposed to be. I don’t agree though. I have had oil consumption tests done in the past and VW engineering says everything is within spec. They also said that they consider within spec to be as much as 1qt every 2k miles.

reilljp

TDI
2015 Passat
Ok. I went in a used my free oil change from after you get the TDI phase2 fix. Here is where the oil level is. Also, it looks very Dark after only 120miles since it was done.

What’s the free oil change you’re referring to?

abishoff

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
What’s the free oil change you’re referring to?

I got an email from VW after I completed my 2015 Stage 2 TDI fix. So I told the deal I wants to use it.

seabeece1

TDI
Passat
I’ve been having issues on my 15 Passat since about the 60k miles mark, it has almost 110,000 miles now. Historically, at about 8k into the 10k oil change interval, my low oil light comes on. I’ve had the turbo replaced under warranty at 80k miles, and I think they also replaced the oil level sensor.

Once again I’m about 8k miles into the interval and the low oil light is on again.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

I have the same issue on our 2014 Passat. Dealership claimed that it was a hairline crack in the valve cover gasket and it would burn off on the back of the engine is why no oil was ever on the ground under the car. My mechanic suggested that they check the turbo. The changed the value cover gasket. My wife claimed that she smelled oil again so I checked the dip stick and there was no oil on the stick.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
seebeec1, see how much oil is in the bottom of the intercooler. Pull off the large hose at the bottom of the intercooler, clean it out. You might be losing oil from there. But if your wife is smelling it, its probably leaking somewhere. Check around the oil filter housing, a well known leak point.

I am no fan of 10,000 mile oil change intervals. That might contribute to oil consumption. I change my oil roughly at 5,000 miles and the engine uses very little oil - found in the bottom of the intercooler probably from a bad seal at the turbo.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Lots of information here, but it doesn't seem that precise. For the sake of discussion, let's say that the oil level is correct (at the top of the hatch marks, not the middle) when the oil is changed. Let's also say that the low oil light comes on when you're down 1 liter. If you're using a liter in 8K miles, that is not an indication that anything is wrong with the engine. And VW won't even talk to you about an oil consumption problem unless you're using a liter in 1,000 miles or less.

As others have suggested, start checking the oil regularly and keep it topped up so you don't have problems in the future.

And regarding 10,000 mile changes, I have several TDIs that have well over 200K miles on them (one is at nearly 500K miles with the original engine) that have received 10K changes since new and they still run great.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
One of mine gets 20k mile service intervals...

All piston engines consume some oil. So long as it falls within a range of "acceptable", there is no cause for concern. The CVCA and CRUA engines (2015 only for us) seem to consume more than the previous engines, but nothing like what a lot of the VAG gas engines can. The CKRAs not so much, but a liter or two in 10k miles is perfectly fine.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
One of mine gets 20k mile service intervals...

All piston engines consume some oil. So long as it falls within a range of "acceptable", there is no cause for concern. The CVCA and CRUA engines (2015 only for us) seem to consume more than the previous engines, but nothing like what a lot of the VAG gas engines can. The CKRAs not so much, but a liter or two in 10k miles is perfectly fine.
Agree 100% with this

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
"Volkswagen oil consumption standard of up to 0.5 quarts per 600 miles, or 0.5 liters per 1000 km."

Sadly VWs oil consumption standard is pretty high compared to their actual oil change interval. We have had some customers complain and they are under warranty. But since they are under the consumption, nothing can really be done. As VW Will say its acceptable.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
So if you look your dip stick from post #8 ( when Low oil light came on ) and post #13 (with new oil change) you can see that car used 0.5 L of oil , In 8k miles and that is absolutely normal . If they fill car all way to Max in 10K you would probably never get low oil light .
And like Oilhammer said, ever 2L in 10K internal is absolutely normal.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Pretty much all the manufacturers spec a pretty liberal amount of oil use, it isn't just VAG. Some engines/cars will use more than others. Lots of pretty consistent patterns out there, not a lot of secrets if you just look.