Anyone gone from a TDI to a TSI?

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
Think about these problems next time you vote. You already know who to vote for if you want to have more government in your life and your car... All of these problems are a direct cause of tightening emissions and fuel economy demands.. lighter and junkier components. Hastily designed cars with transmissions that are junk right out of the gate, ridiculously designed petty items all in the name of saving .0000000002 ounces and warm the engine up 3 seconds earlier..
Unbelievable.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
And technically it isn't the water pump itself, but the housing, that they insist on making out of that phenolic plastic polymer whatever the heck it is. It distorts, then no longer can hold the rubber seal in place, and the seal just herniates right out the side of it. They all fail the exact same way. And it isn't like they don't know about it. They cannot possibly NOT know about it.
Any insight on the reported water pump failure mode for the EA288? I assume it is different from this.

tdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta 2015 sel grey / black interior
I had a 2015 Jetta sel tdi traded it the month before diesel gate sold that car bought a Toyota sold that to go back and buy a used a2015 Jetta tdi tuned ecu and dsg from Kerma I’ll be in this car till it won’t go any more looking for a v10 toureg preferably 2008 with under 100,000 miles I’m only going with diesel for every now just like the mileage Volkswagen is one of thelower cost for parts and labor Bmw Mercedez Land Rover just cost triple and with Volkswagen you’re still getting the same European quality

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TDILeo

Veteran Member
TDI
CW 2011 Golf TDI 6M Repurchased By VW 1/30/17 1985 VW GTI
I have been looking at a few preowned lo mileage 17 Golfs. I wonder why the 1.4 TSI is not available in the US market in a Golf. It would seem a good fit.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It will be starting in 2019.... but the Golf name will once again return to Rabbit I heard. :rolleyes:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I thought the "rabbit" was a small special trim offering, similar to beetle GSR.

Either way they gotta do something cute now the beetle won't be offered.

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
2 years ago I bought a 2016 GTI. I'm very happy with it -- it's much more fun to drive than our tuned TDI wagon was. It's actually the only car my wife actually enjoys driving.

jplrk

TDI
2015 Golf
2 years ago I bought a 2016 GTI. I'm very happy with it -- it's much more fun to drive than our tuned TDI wagon was. It's actually the only car my wife actually enjoys driving.
Thanks for chiming in, rgoetz. The GTI was definitely a fun drive when I took it for a spin. But while the Golf feels a bit like "settling", it may get the nod over the GTI based on dollars and cents.

~ Colleen

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
Thanks for chiming in, rgoetz. The GTI was definitely a fun drive when I took it for a spin. But while the Golf feels a bit like "settling", it may get the nod over the GTI based on dollars and cents.
~ Colleen
You're welcome and good luck to you!

oilhammer

TDI
Yes, but there are still a handful of Ford-ish things on some of their models, but fewer and fewer all the time.

We have two Lexus RX350s in here now, one has its dash torn out getting an evaporator core, and another is getting its oil cooler pipe assembly replaced, as those spontaneously explode without warning and pump all the oil out of the engine within a few seconds. A nice feature. I'll know later this morning if he got the engine shut off in time.

Stuff breaks, all of it.

cyclopropene

TDI
12 Golf DSG (Bought Back 12-12-18)
Looked at another '16 SEL yesterday (after heavy rain) and found yet another leaking sunroof and stained headliner.
There are some good deals on the last of the 18's but I was disappointed to see the mpg rating dropping to 33 highway.
That might be the way I go nonetheless, as the 6 year/72k warranty is attractive...

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
cyclopropene;5456809 [B said:
There are some good deals on the last of the 18's but I was disappointed to see the mpg rating dropping to 33 highway..... the 6 year/72k warranty is attractive...[/B]
I understand - for 2019 - the SportWagen will offer the 1.4 turbo/6M combo.

My '13 JSW TDI 6M calc'd 44 highway for me over 50k of satisfied ownership.

The 1.4 will calc about 90% of that - with no HPFP/DPF worries - plus that great 6 year/72k attractive new car warranty.

It's all good!
ez

jplrk

TDI
2015 Golf
Finally made my decision ~ the Golf SE ~ only to find out there's no night blue metallic to be found. I've loved the look of my night blue TDI, and the other handful of color options don't knock my socks off. Definite "no' to black, gray, white, and red. That leaves silk blue and tungsten silver. The silk blue really isn't my style. On the other hand, silver is pretty dang boring, although the tungsten isn't bad. Still. Kinda disappointing.

There are some good deals on the last of the 18's but I was disappointed to see the mpg rating dropping to 33 highway.
The mileage is nothing to write home about, agreed. I've seen a fair amount of anecdotal evidence from people getting better numbers than the ratings. We'll see.

~ Colleen

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
BTW night blue metallic is a real pain to keep looking good (swirl city just looking at it). I've never owned a black or white car, but darn it sure feels like it.

The 18 green looks mighty appealing if I were to do it again.

jplrk

TDI
2015 Golf
BTW night blue metallic is a real pain to keep looking good (swirl city just looking at it). I've never owned a black or white car, but darn it sure feels like it.
I worried about that when I got my night blue TDI four years ago, but I’ve found it surprisingly easy to keep looking sharp.

The 18 green looks mighty appealing if I were to do it again.
The Great Falls green? That’d be my second choice, after dark iron blue, if I was going with a GTI. As it is I may end flipping a coin between the tungsten silver & silk blue. Get ‘er done!

~ Colleen

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah that's the one, that with merkish brown interior is a great combo, but kinda rare.

cyclopropene

TDI
12 Golf DSG (Bought Back 12-12-18)
Fuel tank capacity?

Can anyone confirm the fuel tank capacity for the TSI? I assumed it would have been the same 14.5 g that both my 2001 Jetta 1.8T and 2012 Golf TDI had. But my recently acquired 2016 Golf TSI SE only takes about 10 gallons once the fuel light comes on and the range indicates just 25 miles. I'm trying to figure out whether the gauge is tripping early or if the tank is actually smaller (without running out of gas, obviously...).

Thanks...

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
According to the specs it is 13.2 gallons. I am sure they don't want you running it low, modern fuel systems are fragile and sucking air will probably lead to an early warranty claim, thus the early warning light to make you fill up sooner.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Can anyone confirm the fuel tank capacity for the TSI? I assumed it would have been the same 14.5 g that both my 2001 Jetta 1.8T and 2012 Golf TDI had. But my recently acquired 2016 Golf TSI SE only takes about 10 gallons once the fuel light comes on and the range indicates just 25 miles. I'm trying to figure out whether the gauge is tripping early or if the tank is actually smaller (without running out of gas, obviously...).
Thanks...
4Mo GSW and Alltrack is slightly larger at around 15.5, but the gauge is crazy conservative, even at zero miles till empty I can only get about 14 gal in.

Despite what "VW media" states GSW and Alltrack has the same tank, it's a saddle type that is needed to fit around the rear haldex diff/pump and controller.

oilhammer

TDI
Another one towed in overnight. 2012 CC, 116k miles. Blow'd up. Chain drive came apart, punched a hole somewhere in the timing case, spewed all out all over. :rolleyes:

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
The timing chain settlement should have included a longer warranty than 100k for that failure. It's a shame it did not.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
116, that's pathetic
That should be unheard of. VW's belt tech is so good, why do they do this?

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
I bet they do it because people are bad about changing the belt, blow up their engines, then don't buy another Volkswagen. It's not an improvement though if the chains blow up.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Another one towed in overnight. 2012 CC, 116k miles. Blow'd up. Chain drive came apart, punched a hole somewhere in the timing case, spewed all out all over. :rolleyes:

That's Gen2 EA888 ;)

<keeps his head in the sand>

Last edited:

Yeti35

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
I had a 2015 Jetta sel tdi traded it the month before diesel gate sold that car bought a Toyota sold that to go back and buy a used a2015 Jetta tdi tuned ecu and dsg from Kerma I’ll be in this car till it won’t go any more looking for a v10 toureg preferably 2008 with under 100,000 miles I’m only going with diesel for every now just like the mileage Volkswagen is one of thelower cost for parts and labor Bmw Mercedez Land Rover just cost triple and with Volkswagen you’re still getting the same European quality

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hope you have deep pockets for the V10 purchase. They are an awesome motor to drive, but some maintenance stuff requires the motor to be dropped from the vehicle. The V10 does not get the great of mileage either. You would be better off with a V6 TDI even with a little less torque it gets better mileage and seems to be a more balanced vehicle with that motor. V10 feels very nose heavy.

oilhammer

TDI
Another one towed in today. 2010 Eos 81k miles. Engine sounds like it is trying to grind up marbles.