Piggyback on the 1.9 ALH

vogelspinnen

TDI
VW caddy
Hi guys,

I own a 1.9 ALH VW caddy MK2 van. It has been quite extensively modified, and I am happy enough with the power output, but now, I am looking for a way to reduce fuelling, to the point where I do not lose power, but am still able to floor the van without fogging out the entire highway.

Problem is, NOBODY in my country is able to do a custom remap for my TDI. The best bet I have as of now, is to send my ECU to a reputable tuner, with a list of my modifications, for him to do a "custom" tune. As of now I am not really comfortable with that idea, so my question is, are there any piggyback ECUs out there (prefably Unichip or EManage) which will be able to control fuelling, or does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do?

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
Hi guys,

I own a 1.9 ALH VW caddy MK2 van. It has been quite extensively modified, and I am happy enough with the power output, but now, I am looking for a way to reduce fuelling, to the point where I do not lose power, but am still able to floor the van without fogging out the entire highway.

Problem is, NOBODY in my country is able to do a custom remap for my TDI. The best bet I have as of now, is to send my ECU to a reputable tuner, with a list of my modifications, for him to do a "custom" tune. As of now I am not really comfortable with that idea, so my question is, are there any piggyback ECUs out there (prefably Unichip or EManage) which will be able to control fuelling, or does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do?
Unichip does make a piggyback for some TDI's, but so far all of the Singapore Caddy ECU's that that have come across my bench have been similar to the 99.5 ECU's that we had in our Golfs and Jettas. To my knowledge the Unichip doesn't work with this ECU.

brum

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat B5, 1.9 TDI, AFN
Can you download/upload the software by yourself? Either with galletto (if EDC, cheap cables are available in ebay) or with programmer (if MSA, there is Willem programmers that are not cheap). Then you can send the tuner the software only and he will return to you the updated one. By doing this a few times with some logs for feedback you will have a nice working tuned car :) .

brum

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat B5, 1.9 TDI, AFN
Can you download/upload the software by yourself? Either with galletto (if EDC, cheap cables are available in ebay) or with programmer (if MSA, there is Willem programmers that are not cheap). Then you can send the tuner the software only and he will return to you the updated one. By doing this a few times with some logs for feedback you will have a nice working tuned car :) .

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
I'm going to take a wild guess here and say the part number of his ECU is 038906018FK. The 018 means this is MSA15.7 which is never socketed from the factory. So, what you say may be practical if he has someone to do the soldering there.

brum

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat B5, 1.9 TDI, AFN
Yep, soldering would be required in case of MSA. I did mine in a mobile phone service for a few bugs :) and about half an hour.

vogelspinnen

TDI
VW caddy
Thanks for the advices mike and brum, I will be sending my ECU to mike for remapping :)

Mike, will communicate with you through PM;)