Note to Self....

MojaveGolf

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf TDI (Stock)
After turning my VNT15 into a grenade, today upon removing the lower intercooler hose, I managed to cover my entire left arm in about three liters of oil from the intercooler. Next time, which will hopefully be never, I will make sure to get out of the way... Just thought I'd let some people who have come close or had the same thing happen have a good laugh...

Russnut

Veteran Member
TDI
03' Jetta TDi
When i did my first turbo removal, i was laying under it. I yanked the hose and oil went into my face, and as I tried to move fast, hit my face on the oil pan, fracturing my nose. The neighbors looked at me funny while I was spraying off oil and blood from my head. I literally showered in Castrol Superclean for a couple days. Kinda wish I would have taken some pics.

Naimanator

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2002 Golf GLS TDI
I used to have this same problem every time I changed the oil in my last car, an 89 Mazda MX-6. The oil filter was one of the screw on types and was situated such that you could only get to it from underneath the car. It was always a lot of fun lying underneath it trying to unscrew it as quickly as possible to avoid getting warm oil all over my arm/face.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Many Deere backhoe filters are like this. I finally figured out to tie a rag around my wrist. I have more than one work shirt that is oil stained clear down to the armpit or further.

Then there was the log-loader where I pulled the drain plug outside on a windy day...

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Why not puncture a whole in the screw-on oil filter to drain as much oil before removal.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
JB05 said:
Why not puncture a whole in the screw-on oil filter to drain as much oil before removal.
Sometimes time restarints say other wise, sometimes it's not a spin-on. Sometimes it's such a PITA to get it started, the filter refills and starts spilling before you get it tight.

Life in a perfect world would be boring.:)

Russnut

Veteran Member
TDI
03' Jetta TDi
Somebody mentioned the wind....... I had the oil draining under the jetta. The drain pan was sitting on a huge piece of cardboard. It was mildy windy, but it was right before a storm hit. I'm up on the point of a little mtn.... a gust between 50-70mph hit and lifted the cardboard and flung the oil EVERYWHERE. I shut the garage now.