Timing belt and coolant

JettaTDIBlack

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Automatic Sedan
When doing. A timing belt/change. Do you need to drain the coolant or just add lost coolant back into the system? I am asking because I am wanting to flush my current coolant and install a new thermostat and put in G13.

dubrs.com

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
if you want to get as much fluid out as possible you'd also need to drain the rad, its the lowest point in the system. You can do the timing belt and just let the fluid fall out at the water pump, but it wouldn't get it all.

JettaTDIBlack

Veteran Member
TDI
if you want to get as much fluid out as possible you'd also need to drain the rad, its the lowest point in the system. You can do the timing belt and just let the fluid fall out at the water pump, but it wouldn't get it all.
Sorry, I wasn't asking if I could drain the coolant via the water pump. I know how to drain the coolant properly. I was asking if say I do the timing belt change in a month, I shouldn't have to do a flush and just replace the amount of coolant loss via the water pump change, correct? I just don't know how much is lost while changing the pump.

dubrs.com

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
A flush is typically to get any deposits out of a cooling system. Just dropping the fluid when doing the timing belt won't flush the deposits out. I'd do the belt then still do the flush if you're concerned about it. I've never done a flush and haven't had any issues yet.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Sorry, I wasn't asking if I could drain the coolant via the water pump. I know how to drain the coolant properly. I was asking if say I do the timing belt change in a month, I shouldn't have to do a flush and just replace the amount of coolant loss via the water pump change, correct? I just don't know how much is lost while changing the pump.
Have never measured it, but based on what I see in the drain pan my guess: you probably lose about half the total coolant when removing the water pump. The other half stays locked in the bottom hoses and lower part of the radiator because of the t-stat being closed... the t-stat is about half-way up the block.

IIRC from my last couple timing belts I would have added 2-3l back after the belt change, so that kinda lines up.

Is *that* what you're asking? :)

JettaTDIBlack

Veteran Member
TDI
I am wanting to do a flush because my mechanic at the time flushed it in September to replace the thermostat t and gasket. But, he put regular green Prestone coolant in. And I want to replace the theromostat and put in G13 coolant.

dubrs.com

JettaTDIBlack

Veteran Member
TDI
Have never measured it, but based on what I see in the drain pan my guess: you probably lose about half the total coolant when removing the water pump. The other half stays locked in the bottom hoses and lower part of the radiator because of the t-stat being closed... the t-stat is about half-way up the block.

IIRC from my last couple timing belts I would have added 2-3l back after the belt change, so that kinda lines up.

Is *that* what you're asking? :)
Basically. Thank you.

dubrs.com

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
What I would do is disconnect the coolant hoses at the bottom part of the oil filter housing, and allow coolant to drain out of there into a clean container. That will get about 3.5L out, and should put the coolant level below the water pump.

Then do the timing belt job including replacing the water pump.

Put the coolant that you drained out back in, make sure the car is running, and nothing is leaking, etc. Leave it that way for a day or two while you make sure there are no problems like a leaking water pump.

By doing this, you'll make sure the system isn't going to leak before you put in the new coolant.

At that point, you can drain the old stuff again, and this time also drain the radiator. Remove the thermostat and put the thermostat housing back with nothing in it, so you'll get full coolant flow through the system. Put in ordinary tap water, run the engine for a few minutes, drain it, fill it, and repeat this a couple times. That should get all the old stuff out.

If you want to get all the tap water out, you could consider wasting 6L of distilled water by doing your last flush with it.

After you're satisfied that you've flushed it enough times, drain the water out, put in the new thermostat, and fill it with the new coolant/distilled water mixture.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
If the block is clean and the catch pan is clean there's no issue with capturing whatever drains out of the engine during a waterpump replacement and re-using it. If you did that you'd probably only need a liter extra after the timing belt.

As you probably know a full coolant system flush is a bit involved on a TDI because of the t-stat location. The general practice is to either remove the t-stat and replace the housing for the flushing procedure (so that the entire coolant pathway is wide open at all times) *or* drain what you can from the reservoir and lower rad hoses, fill with water, drive till the t-stat opens, cool, drain, refill with water- several times- until the water is completely clean.

The challenge is that when you drain that last time you have an engine half full of tap water. At this point some folks pull the t-stat and carefully blow out the system in all directions with compressed air (on a regulator limited to the 15 psi the cooling system can handle...don't remind me how I learned that lesson). Others top up with concentrate and hope for the best. :)

Last edited:

JettaTDIBlack

Veteran Member
TDI
What I would do is disconnect the coolant hoses at the bottom part of the oil filter housing, and allow coolant to drain out of there into a clean container. That will get about 3.5L out, and should put the coolant level below the water pump.

Then do the timing belt job including replacing the water pump.

Put the coolant that you drained out back in, make sure the car is running, and nothing is leaking, etc. Leave it that way for a day or two while you make sure there are no problems like a leaking water pump.

By doing this, you'll make sure the system isn't going to leak before you put in the new coolant.

At that point, you can drain the old stuff again, and this time also drain the radiator. Remove the thermostat and put the thermostat housing back with nothing in it, so you'll get full coolant flow through the system. Put in ordinary tap water, run the engine for a few minutes, drain it, fill it, and repeat this a couple times. That should get all the old stuff out.

If you want to get all the tap water out, you could consider wasting 6L of distilled water by doing your last flush with it.

After you're satisfied that you've flushed it enough times, drain the water out, put in the new thermostat, and fill it with the new coolant/distilled water mixture.
I was thinking of that. Just noticed when I read the temp it is usually around 215, even though the gauge reads 190.

dubrs.com

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
When doing. A timing belt/change. Do you need to drain the coolant or just add lost coolant back into the system? I am asking because I am wanting to flush my current coolant and install a new thermostat and put in G13.

dubrs.com
Guess I don't understand the discussion, if you'd like to do a flush, do it.
Normal timing belt job you use a very small amount when the water pump comes off.,