Eurospec 280mm rear brake upgrade, MK4

dirtride

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
Has anybody tried this kit that can provide feedback? Eurospec 280mm rear brake rotor upgrade, solid ~ not vented but drilled and slotted. Uses stock calipers with extended mounting hardware. Not sure how the rotors will clear the dust covers or if they have to be removed/trimmed.

Also are coated with a grey substance (paint) that I assume is a corrosion preventive, but how will that effect the pad wear when installed?

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
why bother? The rear brakes aren't all that effective on our cars in the 1st place.

Better off upgrading the front brakes if you really want to upgrade your brakes.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Agreed the fronts are a better upgrade - that said I've sold plenty of front and rear kits and the feedback on the rear kits has been very positive.
-BB

algirdas

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta AHU
I have a set of these, solid-NOT drilled nor slotted, on my Mk3 with 5lug conversion.
Mainly purchased for filling the 16' wheels to match the aesthetics of the front brakes, 312mm rotors with Boxster calipers.
But Eurospec 280mm did noticeably increase stopping power,
and the pedal feel with the Boxster calipers was phenomenal.

dust covers had to be removed.

the grey substance/corrosion preventive, doesn't effect the pad wear once installed

So if you have big front brakes these rears are a nice match/upgrade.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
I have a set of these, solid-NOT drilled nor slotted, on my Mk3 with 5lug conversion.
Mainly purchased for filling the 16' wheels to match the aesthetics of the front brakes, 312mm rotors with Boxster calipers.

the grey substance/corrosion preventive, doesn't effect the pad wear once installed

That's nice to hear. I have an email to them now asking how much the 280mm solid rotors cost without the brackets.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
You need the brackets to make it work FYI...

dirtride

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf

Thanks for this info, it is what I was looking for.

And yes, these will compliment the TT front set up I see in the future.

joseluis.17g

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 MKIV mexican Jetta 1.9 TDI
yes, I'm talking about the second time I need rotors. I was planning on buying the first set from them and if need be rotors after that.

Ok, the rotors alone are $94.50 plus shipping, just got a return email from Eurospecsport

Each? Or for the pair?

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf

did you upgrade the brake master cylinder to use the Boxster calipers ?

algirdas

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta AHU
did you upgrade the brake master cylinder to use the Boxster calipers ?
No, the piston sizes in the Boxster calipers are a close match to the stock caliper's area. So the stock master cylinder works fine on mk3 & mk4 installs.

The greatest improvement comes from the rigidity of the Boxster caliper and the increased rotor diameter.
The resulting pedal feel leads to a huge increase in confidence in the brakes.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
I upgraded to the 280mm rear rotors and I've been happy with them. I'm not sure how much of an improvement they make, since I upgraded to 312mm fronts at the same time, but overall there was a noticeable improvement in stopping distance and brake pedal feel. The upgraded diameter also helps fill in the gap between the rotor and 17" wheels that are on my car.
With 18" Aristos

Hope that helps.

dirtride

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
Lito,

To start, this kit comes without any instruction or pictures. Just the parts. Sure, it is pretty self explainatory, but still....
Brake lines were no problem. E-brake cables were a little shorter than I like after the caliper adaptor installed. What I did was "open up" the clip on the bottom of beam arm to allow the cable housing to move back a little for more slack. E-brake now works just as before the mod.

My only concern is I had to remove the splash shields for clearance. You cannot just bend them back because the rotors are deeper offset and sit a little farther in to line up with the caliper adaptors. Since I did not want to R&R the axle stubs/bearings, I ended up having to cut the shields around the radius of the beam arm. Not hard to do but the ABS sensor/tone ring and everything is exposed now. Some have said it is nothing to worry about, but you know how it goes. The shields are there for a reason. My ring and sensors were overdo for a cleaning as well.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Lito,

To start, this kit comes without any instruction or pictures. Just the parts. Sure, it is pretty self explainatory, but still....
Brake lines were no problem. E-brake cables were a little shorter than I like after the caliper adaptor installed. What I did was "open up" the clip on the bottom of beam arm to allow the cable housing to move back a little for more slack. E-brake now works just as before the mod.

My only concern is I had to remove the splash shields for clearance. You cannot just bend them back because the rotors are deeper offset and sit a little farther in to line up with the caliper adaptors. Since I did not want to R&R the axle stubs/bearings, I ended up having to cut the shields around the radius of the beam arm. Not hard to do but the ABS sensor/tone ring and everything is exposed now. Some have said it is nothing to worry about, but you know how it goes. The shields are there for a reason. My ring and sensors were overdo for a cleaning as well.
I know what you mean about the splash shields but the wheels/rims probably protect the rotors more than we realize.

thanks for the info on the brake cable. Still haven't decided what to do on my wife's 2004PD. This kit or the Audi TT rear brakes.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
This is what you get...

Hey,

In case you're interested, the larger splash shields for the 256mm vented rear rotors are larger and it looks like a 280mm rotor will work with it.

We should have some type of confirmation soon. There are two of us who are trying to upgrade to 280mm at the rear brakes.

Just FYI

Here are some images of the shield and 256 rotor

Last edited:

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I like this! It bolts right up to the beam I assume? I have another question for you, going to send you a PM.
I got the PM and answered. But yes, the 256mm splash shield bolts right up and in your case, you don't need to trim it in any way.

The only downside is usually, a new bearing is necessary because it's nearly impossible to pull the hub without taking the bearing apart.

Tmcbride

TDI
Mk4
What rotors and pads are you using for the 280mm? I know the front rotors of a tdi are 280 but what are you guys using for pads?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk