05 TDI Jetta Wagon 1.9L BEW Inter Cooler Hose Identification

koolkelsto

TDI
05 VW TDI Jetta Wagon 1.9L BEW
Hello everyone!
A mechanic put in a new turbo in my family's VW about 8 months ago and it recently starting making hissing noises and leaking oil, I jacked it up and found what looks to be a custom made hose connecting the turbo to the pancake pipe to the intercooler:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=14PbaEJCrDwfHfmfpxb2e4ta09jnt3RKC
Custom Hose:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zmX9wplIp6a-HNVXTNDbSjmUTLmUGghG
The hose now has a broken O ring and worn off knobs:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DOIi6q26wBsMopyNk8L21iglGfCwkJJz
I have tried to identify the correct replacement hose once already and bought the wrong thing. I just purchased this hose but it does not seem to be the right one either.
The new hose I purchased:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/361969870127
Comparison:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nbQy9ph3wmJkjmCp2ee0oNWSepeOa5Fn
If anyone could direct me to the correct hose to buy, or tell me what I am doing wrong and how these hoses should connect, it would be much appreciated!

koolkelsto

TDI
So I found out some more information. I ended up calling and finding the person who did the repair on the turbo. They said that they installed the manifold but that the piping was in that position so instead of fixing the piping -to fit the stock pipe- they just cut up the stock pipe and created that new one.

What would I have to do to fix the turbo piping to accept the stock hose?
Do I need to remove the whole turbo?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
The eBay hose looks about right of course it’s hard to tell. Do you have the original kp39 turbo on this car or has it been replaced with a vnt 17?

If it’s the 17 there is an adapter hose that idparts sells to get the new turbo to mate with the old pipe.

https://www.idparts.com/vnt-17-outlet-adapter-p-4588.html

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
If that one is the proper hose for the car, and it looks to be that by the part number, it may be that the 'new' turbo is not a direct fit and could need to have the compressor housing re-clocked to match the application.
...or it is not the right turbo

Last edited:

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Take it back and have them replace the pipe they damaged without asking. Reclock, the turbo and put the right hose on.
IDparts and the other vendors have the right one if it's a common turbo.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Take it back and have them replace the pipe they damaged without asking. Reclock, the turbo and put the right hose on.
IDparts and the other vendors have the right one if it's a common turbo.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk
This^^^ you paid for a service and they hacked it up...

JETaah

TDI
And by the looks of the o-ring, the mechanic really wrestled with trying to make things fit. The o rings are pretty tough and don't just break on their own.

koolkelsto

TDI
Sorry for the delayed response! It has been a heck of a week, so I called the mechanic and he is claiming that he told me what he did to the hose (I do not remember him telling me) and he is not willing to make things right without me paying for the service again.
How troublesome would it be for me to "reclock the turbo" myself? Could I do it without taking it out of the car?

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
Why is there so much oil? My KP39 didn’t leak when new and I don’t have that much oil coming out today, even though the o-rings are not in great shape. Do you have any info about the turbo?

JETaah

TDI
How troublesome would it be for me to "reclock the turbo" myself? Could I do it without taking it out of the car?
You need to be able to reach all the bolts that encircle the compressor housing and loosen them up a little. That should allow you to reposition it.
Do you still have the old turbo to compare the two?

JETaah

TDI
Why is there so much oil? My KP39 didn’t leak when new and I don’t have that much oil coming out today, even though the o-rings are not in great shape. Do you have any info about the turbo?
Because he has had a boost leak for the last eight months. Some residual oil will spray out anytime there is a boost leak.

koolkelsto

TDI
You need to be able to reach all the bolts that encircle the compressor housing and loosen them up a little. That should allow you to reposition it.
Do you still have the old turbo to compare the two?
Okay, I'll see what I can access from below. I don't have it.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Yeah, get the right hose, loosen bolts install the hose and put it into position then torque the bolts to spec.
Of course you should see if the hose simply fits.
A lot of the time people try to hack the stock hose to avoid spending the money, because it should work. But it never works too long and the stock VW hose is the only one to hold up for long on a tuned car.

Tankthecarman

TDI
2001 Jetta ALH TDI 5spd
I know this is off topic, but I have been looking at an ‘04 Jetta Wagon with a BEW. I remember reading about one of the TDI engines following the ALH that was prone to a camshaft problem or a High-Pressure pump failure. I have over 300,000 miles on my ‘01 Jetta with the ALH and know absolutely zero about the BEW. Does anyone know of common failure parts that I should be wary of? Thanks in advance!
Tank

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I know this is off topic, but I have been looking at an ‘04 Jetta Wagon with a BEW. I remember reading about one of the TDI engines following the ALH that was prone to a camshaft problem or a High-Pressure pump failure. I have over 300,000 miles on my ‘01 Jetta with the ALH and know absolutely zero about the BEW. Does anyone know of common failure parts that I should be wary of? Thanks in advance!
Tank
That would be the 2009 through 2014 common rails.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Does seem like a lot of oil for a low mileage turbo but then I've never run with a boost leak for more than about 2 blocks. Also, make sure the turbo oil feed line is not leaking or damaged. They almost always need to be replaced with a new turbo because they get damaged being removed.

My concern would be if the tech hacked up the charge air pipe like that, what else did he cut corners on? Did he install a garbage rebuild or a garbage Chinese turbo? What does it say on the work order? You could try asking him where he got it and if it is Chinese or rebuilt If the work order is vague about the replacement turbo.

If he didn't way overcharge you and the cost listed on the work order is under $500 to $650, you will probably be replacing the replacement sooner than later.

What a non garbage new turbo would cost for your car if you bought it yourself. A shop would most likely get a discount on that price and mark it up some to their customer.
https://www.idparts.com/borg-warner-kp39-turbocharger-a4-bew-p-1332.html

Last edited: