new ecu flash out

turbo2467

TDI
TDI
My car was at dealer for my hesitation issue, they replaced the crank position sensor, and part of the ignition, but as of June 2nd there is a new flash out supposed to help the O2 sensors again, since they are still having issues with them. Its a 25 minute download according to my service guy.

greiter

TDI
2010 Sportwagen DSG
Confirmed. I took my 2010 JSW TDI DSG to the dealer yesterday (June 2nd 2010) to fix what I thought was a bluetooth issue (turns out the microphone connection in the overhead console had come loose) and they also told me I was their first car to have the software update to correct something with the O2 sensor - they wouldn't give me any details however.

canux

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI
turbo2467 said:
My car was at dealer for my hesitation issue, they replaced the crank position sensor, and part of the ignition, but as of June 2nd there is a new flash out supposed to help the O2 sensors again, since they are still having issues with them. Its a 25 minute download according to my service guy.
I would really like to know if you still get hill cresting hesitation after having this done.

joetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2-2002 Jettas W/Auto
This update came out on Tuesday. It is to change the sensitivity of the rear O2 sensor. It was causing the CEL to come to easily.

There is also a recall coming out for the DSG also.

turbo2467

TDI
TDI
canux said:
I would really like to know if you still get hill cresting hesitation after having this done.

as of about an hour ago, it still hesitates so that wasnt the fix. :mad:

izkeepsitreal

TDI
2010 Golf Wagon
joetdi said:
This update came out on Tuesday. It is to change the sensitivity of the rear O2 sensor. It was causing the CEL to come to easily.

There is also a recall coming out for the DSG also.
What sort of "recall" ? I've got a DSG...

Rule10b5

TDI
2010 Golf
Why does the hill cresting hesitation need to be fixed?

Isn't it an intentional defueling to increase fuel mileage?

Rule10b5

TDI
2010 Golf
ibid said:
well, my dealer said they've already done the re-flash on about a dozen TDIs at this point
Was the re-flash was done with the intent to remove defueling on cresting a hill?

Rule10b5

TDI
2010 Golf
Ah, cool.

I'm supposed to take mine in for the 6k mile checkup (apparently it's just a meet and greet the service people) within the month. I'll call beforehand and make sure they can do whatever reflashing needs to be done then.

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
I brought my '09 in to the dealership this morning for it's 40K service and they told me they are doing an ECU reflash for the O2 sensor. I expressed my concern (I'm one of the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" types) since I'm very happy with the performance of my car, especially the fuel economy. They assured me that, if anything, I will get even better fuel economy since this flash makes the sensor less sensitive. Hmmm. My dealership is one of the good ones, very big, sells lots of TDIs and has always seemed on top of things, so I'm trusting them. I'm surprised, though, because I thought the oxygen sensor was a problem only with the 2010s. Interestingly, the tech explained that the reprogramming is done wirelessly, over the internet.

dpg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI, 2010 JSW - retired
they usually won't do an o2 update until you get an o2 code. that was the case with me and when I asked them why I didn't get the update when I had another update done, that was the answer they gave me.

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
^ tell us how it goes after you drive around some more :)
Will do, if I ever get out of here (going on 5 hours). This is the most crap I've ever had done to my car and it makes me very nervous. When I went back to check on the progress a little while ago the service guy wanted me to agree to a Diesel Purge treatment. I asked why and didn't get a good enough answer to shell out an extra 100+ bucks. The car runs like a top.

bruce846

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDI's
Are we talking about the Recall 23H1 here or something else? My car had this done last week and I don't see any difference in the way it runs... maybe 1-2 MPG more but hard to quantify.

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
Are we talking about the Recall 23H1 here or something else? My car had this done last week and I don't see any difference in the way it runs... maybe 1-2 MPG more but hard to quantify.
Yes, it was the 23H1. A new service guy who was very knowledgeable explained why they are re-flashing the ECM. Made sense and was in line with all that I've read here on the club website. The car did not seem to drive any differently and got 48 mpg on the 20 mile freeway drive home so I think all's good. I'll have to see what I average on the next few tanks, but the warm weather and switching over to summer blend might skew things a bit. I must say, my experience with my dealership has been pretty good over the past two years. I consider myself lucky.

Last edited:

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I just had the 23H1 update at my 20K service. From another thread, 23H1 described as, "Improved ECM software calibration to stabilize O2 sensor MAF diagnosis and to improve drivability. O2 sensor diagnosis too sensitive and contamination of the O2 sensor causing MIL ON with DTCs P0136, P0139, P2271, P00D5, P013B and or P320C. MAF sensor, detection at low battery voltage too sensitive causing MIL ON with faults P0101 and/or P0102. DO NOT replace MAF sensor for the faults described here."