Goodbye...parting is such sweet sorrow

fr@nknb33n$

TDI
2012 Golf
Finally turned her in. No, not the old lady. My 2012 Golf TDI 4DR MT. 109,000 miles. Original brakes and clutch.

Finally did the deed. Took all of about 20 minutes. Went to a dealer that had a virtual closing. The guy who represented the dealer used an iPad who was conferenced into another rep from the settlement folks to finalize the deal. After the niceties, we went outside, I hopped in the car, drove back 5ft then drove forward 5ft. Got out. The lady on the iPad asked the dealer rep to shoot several pictures of the vehicle; the mileage on the dash, the stereo (perhaps to capture the time?), the front of the interior and the rear of the interior, a 3/4 shot of the front and a 3/4 shot of the rear.

And with that, I got a handshake and a check for nearly $20K. I felt like I was at the lottery collecting a check or on Publishers Clearinghouse. Felt frigging GREAT!

I loved my TDI. It had it's niggles, but for the most part, it was a fine decent runabout. I mean sure, the suspension had a clank, the front door latches gave out last year and the tires were balder than Larry David. But it was a fun car.

But I must admit...not as nice as my reflex silver 17 GTI SE MT with only 11K miles. Loving it. I did NOT buy this from VW, as I did NOT want to reward them for their ****ty behavior. Bought it private party.

Been fun participating and reading the threads in here for the past three years. Time to move along. Auf Wiedersehen! Oh, and Fahrvergnügen!

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
Hypocrite. You don't want to reward them for their sh***y behavior but you will take their money.

skinnyv

TDI
13 passat tdi se
Rewarded them by buying a hugely discounted 16 TDI A7... big thanks to them would never have purchased if not for the buyback and discount. What a fine piece of equipment .

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
well he did stick it to VW by buying another VW, granted used, but I'm sure VWoA is wallowing in self pity cause of the OPs actions.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
Finally turned in my Jetta today and it was sweet sorrow too. 95k miles, ZERO trouble since new. I felt bad doing it, I LOVED that car.

Bought a '17 CPO gas Passat to replace it. I like it, but not as much as the Jetta. Maybe I'll learn to love it too. But it's a sad day. Of course the $21k might help me get over it. VWOA made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
I turned in my 2012 Jetta on Monday. Only about 87K miles. For a while it had been difficult to start and I'm relieved the HPFP didn't fail.
Not sure yet if we will replace it (wife wants us to manage with 2 cars--our GTI and an old minivan -- but I think we need 3). If I was to replace it today it would be with a 2018 Golf Sportwagon SEL, or a 2012 Audi A4 wagon.
I've been a member here since the last century. At one time this was an amazing site and years ago when I lived in VT I was very active. All things must pass.

Last edited:

skinnyv

TDI
13 passat tdi se
Turned in today,
Goodbye sweet prince.

Took 15 mins from start to stop.

In the last year and half I managed to extract an additional $10k using the car on Uber. Payout today was $26k.

Was a great run.

This forum was a great place from purchase to the end, good luck to the last of the hold outs.

Last edited: