Who has tunes out for the 2010-2011 TDIs?

Timpackman

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI - 5spd, 2011 JSW 6spd Manual
Malone, Revo, Nuespeed is all I know of that has then at this time.

APR ( mostly known for gas tuning ) is working on a tune as well.

kirbfucius

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Is there any information about how those three tunes compare to each other? Power gain seems to be pretty comparable but how about things like ease of flash, ease of return to stock, staying within stock parameters, fuel efficiency gains, etc.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Is there any information about how those three tunes compare to each other? Power gain seems to be pretty comparable but how about things like ease of flash, ease of return to stock, staying within stock parameters, fuel efficiency gains, etc.

How much can be accomplished by a tune is pretty much limited by the emissions system, so most CR tunes are fairly similar. Nobody can flash tune these engines through the OBDII port (yet) because of the ECU encryption. The ECU must be removed and bench tuned (at least the first time). Fuel efficiency gains are wholly dependent on how you drive the car. If you use the additional power available, you will not gain any mileage. If you drive it very easily, you might improve mileage.

Revo is the only tuner who will sell you a switch box that will allow you to switch back and forth between the stock and the tuned maps. Unless they are having a special sale, this box costs extra. For all other tunes you must go back to the tuner to go back to stock tune and then go back again for a re-tune.

As for staying within "stock parameters", this probably depends on which parameters you are talking about. Most tuners do not go beyond the stock limits for EGT because of danger to the turbo. Other than that, I do not know - you will have to ask the tuner.

Also, if you have a DSG transmission, you should be aware that the transmission controller can limit engine torque to a value that it sees as reasonable (around 350 Nm or 258 ft-lbs). AFAIK, Malone is the only tuner who has done any real experimentation on getting around this issue.

Also, be aware that an engine tune can be used by your dealer as an excuse to not honor the warranty on your engine and/or transmission & clutch.

Have Fun!

Don

JasonD

TDI
2011 JSW
Dahlback has a tune. Not sure about price though. If it's inline with their other chips it could be around 1k.

I had a B6 A4 with a 1.8t chipped with dahlback and it performed quite well. Had one small issue which I brought the car back to where I purchased the chip and they took care of it in an hour.

http://www.dahlbackracing.se/english/main.asp

With that said I probably wouldn't chip a car again especially when under warranty. The car couldn't handle the additional power, the front end would brake loose if I got on it to hard and sometimes it would start hopping. By time I sold the car I was fairly sure I had a broken motor mount. Also, once the Audi dealership saw it was chipped they refused to do anything for me. At the time it didn't matter to me because I was so close to coming off warranty.

Last edited:

sleepingdiesel

TDI
TDI Sportwagen
i have the revo tune and love it. better power better mpg + more fun to drive. and i switch to stock when taking it in for service. that alone is the only reason going with revo. other than that i would have gone with malone

JasonD

TDI
2011 JSW
i have the revo tune and love it. better power better mpg + more fun to drive. and i switch to stock when taking it in for service. that alone is the only reason going with revo. other than that i would have gone with malone
Can the suspension handle the additional power?

sleepingdiesel

TDI
TDI Sportwagen
I got the revo tune on sale. It was 399 plus 75 for ecu removal and reinstall. As for suspension I already have coilovers. But stock should handle it.

Last edited: