Who's done chip tuning (speed tuning USA??)

Garry_Verheyden

TDI
2004 Jetta
Who\'s done chip tuning (speed tuning USA??)

I would like to do some Chip tuning to my 04 Jetta and was wondering if anyone has used Chip Tuning USA.com. They are advertising on E-bay for around $275. They claim 35-40HP with re flashing the ECM.
I would also consider TDI Racing.com or someone else if there is better. My friend bought a 30HP chip from Van Aken for his 04. It had great power, but would sometimes put the car in limp mode when the boost would spike above 30psi. This is sometimes a pain when you have to pull over and restart the car to get it out of limp mode. Any experiences with these??? Thanks,
Garry

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Re: Who\'s done chip tuning (speed tuning USA??)

RocketChip, baby!

Garry_Verheyden

TDI
2004 Jetta

Rocketchip?? Is it a chip, or a reflash? How much extra HP and how much did you pay. Has it put your car in limp mode. And what kind of boost and EGT's are you seeing with it? Any extra fuel economy from better timing Etc? Thanks,
Garry

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta

Garry, RC can be either flash or changing a chip. I think most of it is re-flashing today via the OBD port - - it takes all of 5 mins.

My dyno test showed 130hp/240 lb*ft (at the wheels). I also have uprated nozzles. Boost settles around 17psi, IIRC. Don't know about the EGTs.

Better fuel economy? No, not really. I've given up about 5% i would estimate...but I am traveling a lot faster. It's a very fair trade off.

Garry_Verheyden

TDI
2004 Jetta

Can I assume you have a pre 04 with the upgraded nozzles? I went on their website and i think it said 35HP increase on the PD engines. This should be 125-130 wheel HP.
Garry

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
I would like to do some Chip tuning to my 04 Jetta and was wondering if anyone has used Chip Tuning USA.com. They are advertising on E-bay for around $275. They claim 35-40HP with re flashing the ECM.
I would also consider TDI Racing.com or someone else if there is better. My friend bought a 30HP chip from Van Aken for his 04. It had great power, but would sometimes put the car in limp mode when the boost would spike above 30psi. This is sometimes a pain when you have to pull over and restart the car to get it out of limp mode. Any experiences with these??? Thanks,
Garry

i have a speed tuning pd box on my 2004, it is great, good power and no limp mode

http://www.speedtuningusa.com/products/spt_prd_box00.html

you could also get a Malone ecu flash, he lives about 10 minutes from where you live, get stage 1 with dynamic egr

http://malonetuning.com/?page_id=539

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I bought a chip a week ago and my car limps when i put my foot down pedal to the metal! it sucks!!
very common, any small issue can become acute when you push the components.
Scan for code, maybe check thru the limp mode link in signature below