Vagcom-like for other manufacturers?

wrightwinger

TDI
jsw
Does any other companies have something similar to vag-com? I bought the VW simply because of vagcom. I can make my blinkers behave normal. Turn off auto door locks. not have a seat belt dinger. enable DRL on/off option on my MFD. not have a delayed 4th wipe smear everything when i use washerflued. It's these little things that make the virgo in me nuts with any car after 2010.

I'm not even sure how to search for this...... but does anyone know of similar products for other cars? I'm a TDI owner who will probably sell back my car, but I enjoy driving too much, spend too much time behind the wheel, and too anal to tolerate devices doing things I did not tell them to do.

I'd be particular interested in a Subaru equivalent as the new sportwagon is too low, with too small of tank.

I'm not interested in reprogramming the engine or tranny, just the settings for locks/blinkers/windows/etc.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Subaru does have one (quick search). It costs thousands. I'm sure there are knock-offs with varying degrees of functionality.
Also did a quick search for Honda, again thousands (8).
So the answer is yes, you can likely interface with whatever you buy.

Last edited:

riahc3

Yes.

All of them have them which is basically a OBD scanner. So models allow you to modify more or less and some are more/less expensive.

wrightwinger

TDI
jsw
Yes all have a OBD scanner.
Most have software that lets you map/remap the engine/tranny.

I've been doing a lot of research, especially subaru, and I'm just not seeing anything for the settings i'm looking for.

i'm also not noticing a passion for making their cars better like i see amongst golf owners.

i see a lot of "my car is an appliance, car designers are infallible" attitude.
Ford owners just "get used to" the delayed 4th tear drop wipe when they use their washers. If you don't live in winterland, the delayed 4th wipe is perfectly time to smear everything every single time.

i don't like auto door locks, auto wipers, auto lights, seatbelt alarms, etc.
i like that i have the option to turn my DRL on or off in my MFD now. I loath convenience blinkers with a redhot passion.

to get the features i want, i have to buy all the features i dont want in a new outback. i dont like the idea of turning off the fogs as cornering lights, and 17 eye-sight systems EVERY SINGLE TIME i want to drive the car.
I would like to be able to change the settings default. maybe so they stay on, or off.

currently in my sportwagen, i have the drivers side heated seat set up that way.
i want it every drive from nov-april. so now i don't have to hit the button EVERY time.
but if i turn if off.. it'll be off next time. this is great, but only for the driverside of course:)

i've also programmed it so i can lock the door from the outside with the engine running using my proximity key. I don't think most cars will allow that, yet is vital for my job.

Yes I do hate autowipers.. Drivers SHOULD be bothered to pay attention.
I do love rain sensors though. Our VW's can be programmed to close all the windows if it is parked and it senses rain.

I'm not going to pay 20-40k for something and be told to "get used to" something stupid and annoying in it. I drive for a living, I drive for my passion.

Last edited:

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
I've looked at BMWs on and off for the last 4-5 years (currently "on" again--a 328d Wagon sounds like a fine replacement for my JSW), and this is an interesting point of contrast. There are third-party apps (Carly is one I've seen recommended), but it seems that the real "way to go" is to duplicate the factory diagnostic and coding software on your own computer. Illegally, of course, and it sounds like quite a complex process. It sounds too like coding is itself a much more complex process than on VAG cars.

Apparently the scope of what you can do that way is very broad (at least as much so as it is on VWs), but a very different way of getting there.