Auto Trans Shifting Issue

scowil.03xx

TDI
2005 Passat 2000 Golf
Apologies if this is located somewhere else but I did not see anything on search. I have a 2005 Passat TDI and I have read about the torque converter problems and it has a new converter. Normally engine rpm runs about 2500 at 80 mph in 5th. After stopping for a short period (without shutting the engine off) and accelerating to highway speeds again, engine rpm are 3000 at 80 mph (5th) and remain increased. This also occurs if I accelerate hard in order to pass. Any suggestions? Again, apologies if this is somewhere else.

suncoug

TDI
2005 Passat TDI
There isn't much you can do other than:

1) check the fluid level and replace it

2) saving fund for a new auto or start gathering parts for manual conversion

It is possible that your torque converter and/or AT is about to fail. Of course, it would be helpful to scan for error codes.

I have done some tear down and partial rebuild of this transmission, but I can see why many folks simply convert to manual.

scowil.03xx

TDI
2005 Passat 2000 Golf
Apologies for not being more responsive, I've been dealing with multiple issues, including just now getting the Passat back from the body shop. Still does not excuse my lack of courtesy.

The fluid was changed when the converter was replaced right after purchase. The code was the P0741 converter code which is sometimes on and sometimes goes off on its own. I'm not sure why, but sometimes the ESP system activates on clear, dry, pavement. I don't know if that is the trans slipping or something else.

I would love to convert to the 5 speed but have been unable to locate a list or description of what transmissions would be acceptable (It just so happens that I have a 2000 Golf TDI 5 speed that, depending on the outcome of insurance, I may be able to buy back for dirt cheap). It was totalled in an accident recently. I'm going to miss that little car.

Thanks again, and again apologies for my rudeness.

CBM

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat
It could be something simple like a valve body. Question is do you put money into something that is about to fail? Tough call as these auto's have a short life past 100k. I had mine go out and swapped it to 5spd. Do a search for Frans and you will find all the info you need. I got the complete kit which included everything but fluids. It was spendy. If you can get the pedals and such locally you can save a bundle. I did not have the time to scrounge so for me it was worth it. I am getting about 43mpg easy driving and I got the EEN tranny. My auto failed 200 miles after changing fluid and filter.

The hardest part for us was getting the rear main seal to actually seal.