Auto Trans fluid issue

dinoless

TDI
2009 CRD
Sitting here on vacation 400 miles from home. Went out to the 05 Passat this morning and notice a puddle of fluid under it. Slither under and find it's leaking from the transmission. 8mm drain plug is loose, I've got about 2 quarts on the ground.

Can't find a local VW dealer, local parts house of course does not have v050 or v70 fluid. Valvoline book says to use MaxLife Dex/Merc. Can I mix this in (about 2 quarts I think) and get me home or is what is likely OEM tranny fluid and this MaxLife gonna argue and bugger up my transmission on the road home tomorow? If it will get me home, I'll order up the right stuff and do a full fluid change.

Second...where do you put fluid in? I find NO dipstick...:confused::mad:

TDForNow

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Passat TDI GLS Wagon; 52k, '85 Quantum TD; 487k
You can use Valvoline Maxlife DEX/MERC... ONLY if it lists "LT 71141" on the back under the Vehicle approvals. The latest release does. That spec # is from the ESSO oil manfactured for VW.
If it has that number, it's good.

Now, for adding the oil that's not so easy... this link taligentx.com: Passat - ATF & Filter Replacement shows great detail for a fluid and filter change as well as alot of other great info.

Good luck, looks like you'll come out better than I did when we picked up our new Passat GL in '04, two days later tranny was leaking on the ground. Two more days later, it needed a new tranny and it'll be two weeks. Later that day we had a shiny new GLS with leather and wood in exchange (Wife became WAY un-glued!)

I'm about to do a fliud flush and filter change using the Max-Life DEX/MERC it's full-synthetic and meets the oil spec. The $3.73/qt price tag is a lot easier to swallow too.

Last edited:

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
I was just looking up the current info on the Amsoil ATF that I use in mine and the website does list that ESSO number as an application of the fluid.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I wouldn't run the non OEM fluid in an automatic if I could help it. It would be cheaper to overnight the right stuff from a vendor here then to pay for a replacement transmission.

-Jason

TDForNow

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Passat TDI GLS Wagon; 52k, '85 Quantum TD; 487k
compu_85 said:
I wouldn't run the non OEM fluid in an automatic if I could help it. It would be cheaper to overnight the right stuff from a vendor here then to pay for a replacement transmission.

-Jason
I think everyones been sheep-herded to that fear by the OEM's to the OEM's advantage. The OEM trans fluid in this case is in fact produced and bottled by ESSO lube to that very spec for VW.
If a company produces a product that meets or exceeds the OEM's requirement AND is specifically listed by either an OEM's authorization list or as listed on the product container as doing so, they're required, by law, to warrant that product to meet the requirements stated by the OEM. Which means that, in this case, if a fluid quality related breakdown occurs, that fluid manufacturer is required to cover the damages.

-Alain

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
About 25k miles on the Amsoil so far and zero issues. I'm getting due for a fluid change and will continue to use the Amsoil. OEM doesn't always mean better.

dinoless

TDI
2009 CRD
And now for the rest of the story:

A Jeeping bud of mine heard of my plight and showed up at our lodge in BFE Georgia with his CTD and trailer. Handed me the keys and said "bring it all back when you can". :) Dragged the TDI the 478 miles home and dropped the car at the local VW dealer. Very good service, with a smile even! $288 later I have 4 new quarts of OEM tranny fluid, a new filter, and a new drain plug...I can see that investing in a Vag-Com is gonna be in my future...Never had a car, truck or Jeep I couldn't change a fluid in...Not gonna let this car change that...Maybe.:D

Thanks for the replies. Never before seen a tranny without a dipstick.:confused:

II_Kings_9_20

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
dinoless said:
And now for the rest of the story:

A Jeeping bud of mine heard of my plight and showed up at our lodge in BFE Georgia with his CTD and trailer. Handed me the keys and said "bring it all back when you can". :) Dragged the TDI the 478 miles home and dropped the car at the local VW dealer. Very good service, with a smile even! $288 later I have 4 new quarts of OEM tranny fluid, a new filter, and a new drain plug...I can see that investing in a Vag-Com is gonna be in my future...Never had a car, truck or Jeep I couldn't change a fluid in...Not gonna let this car change that...Maybe.:D

Thanks for the replies. Never before seen a tranny without a dipstick.:confused:
My S430 and 300C do not have dipsticks. They at least have a tube with break off plug that says "Dealer Use Only". I bought an MB universal dipstick, pushed it all the way to the pan, marked the stick flush with the tube and used that as my fill point on this "never needs service sealed tranny". Funny the never service trans kit included a new pan gasket and filter which was a breeze to do. For the 09 DSG, I'll let the dealer deal with it at 40K if I have an extended warranty.