Glow plug replacement

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
You can replace only the bad one(s). Brand doesn't matter. They are very easy to do , so no big deal. If You have a lot of miles and thats the first one to go then perhaps a set wouldn't be a bad idea, but I just replaced one when it started tripping the CEL and the other three are still w/o issue. (Whoops, that was in the 2000 which was sold-haven't replaced any in the '01 yet)

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
in 307k kms i have replaced one gp... not sure what brand it was but no issues.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
IMHO I always replace all of the glow plugs at one time as they have all seen the same service time. Just like the headlights, though the headlights are more obvious as after one burns out the other one will go in a week or two.

Then I have had diesels for a long and I know that glow plug performance deteriorates over time. When glow plugs are new they glow bright orange, after a long time the bright orange becomes a dull orange or less meaning they are not as hot.

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
Glow plugs.

2001 Auto. One GP about 4 years ago, one three years ago - had to go to the dealer to buy one. The fall before last when I got the code I decided to replace all 4. It looked like they were all dying at the same time(one year apart).

Ordered all 4 from a vendor here (much cheaper). Tried re-seating the harness the 3rd time and that solved it.

Therefore I have 4 Beru's on the shelf. I would say replace tham one at a time. Half the time it's the harness or something that reseating cures anyway. Just follow the excellent writeup here.

Next time I'll probably replace all 4 since I literally have them setting here.

Now 149k.

The real point here is to buy them from one of the vendors here. 4 purchased here was about 1 1/2 times the price of one at the dealer.

Dave