What is a typical lifecycle for a 3.0 TDI Touareg?

wrenchtech

TDI
2005 Golf TDI
By which I mean, what is the lifecycle of a 2009 or 2010 3.0 V6 TDI. I am thinking mainly about the engine, but certainly the transmission and transfer case are important considerations too. I'd like to buy one of these with about 160,000 miles on it and hope to get at least another hundred thousand without a major failure. Is it realistic thinking?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Until the owner's wallet is empty. So depending on your income, could be pretty varied. Never consider one of these if you do not have some discretionary monies at the ready. I just had a 2014 T'reg TDI this week that without warning required over $2k worth of work. And it had barely covered HALF the miles.

The early V6 has four timing chains. VAG has had a long history of not doing these very well. At least the later V6 got an improved system, tough to say how it'll do long term though.

35 Yr Dsl Veteran

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Sport
If it is anything like our '98 Jetta TDI which is still a daily driver at 270K miles, it would be great!

Plus, almost ALL major components are still factory original! Like engine, transmission, turbo, fuel injector pump, injectors, intercooler, radiator, radiator fan(s), all A/C components (except compressor which failed at 7 years & 180K miles).

krebsy75

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen DSG; 2014 Golf 6MT; 2014 Sportwagen DSG; 2015 Golf SEL DSG
Unrealistic. Self insure with about $5K tucked away. Used parts are far and few between as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fourdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Touareg V10 TDI
In other words, don't pay too much and plan on the possibility of down time to fix something that needs to wait for parts. Other than that, GO FOR IT!

wrenchtech

TDI
2005 Golf TDI
Thanks everybody for the replies. I took the frugal way out. I bought a Toyota 4runner instead. No sweet TDI diesel for me this time. Fortunately I have a 2005 golf TDI 5 speed as well.

MO Treg

TDI
2014 Touareg
Until the owner's wallet is empty. So depending on your income, could be pretty varied. Never consider one of these if you do not have some discretionary monies at the ready. I just had a 2014 T'reg TDI this week that without warning required over $2k worth of work. And it had barely covered HALF the miles.

The early V6 has four timing chains. VAG has had a long history of not doing these very well. At least the later V6 got an improved system, tough to say how it'll do long term though.

thats wierd, I just had my T'reg in the shop for $2K worth of work with no warning, it just broke right across the road from the shop.

And the technician or someone in the shop apparently didnt like all my Sat presets because about 4 were reset to the same station......