Stories when filling up at "gasoline station"

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
I think NJ attendants are OK with that because it frees them up to help waiting gasser customers. Some attendants may have had a few "random diesel bonding" moments with diesel owners too.

I hope I never have to fuel up in NJ or Oregon. I've managed to avoid it for 17 years and more than 900k miles of diesel ownership experience.
Yeah, that's been my take on it, given that in nearly all the stations I go to, they likely do that all the time because of they do it with heavy trucks too so it seems "standard procedure" for diesel.

The only time I had an issue was just about a year ago - at a new station I'd tried once or twice (freshly rebuilt, brand-new storage tanks, so figured it hadn't been in operation long enough for stale fuel) previously, I had an attendant push past me and turn of the pump while I was topping off, even though I asked him twice not to do that. I just haven't gone back to that station since, there's plenty of others.

vwestlife

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat TDI sedan (sold)
Over the years there have been numerous attempts to legalize self-service gasoline here in NJ and all have failed. Regardless if out-of-staters like or understand it or not, the public here in NJ prefers full-service gasoline because we are used to it and due to our gas tax being lower, we usually pay less for it than surrounding states which are self-serve.

In fact, this may have contributed to former NJ Gov. Jon Corzine losing his reelection because he wanted to legalize self-serve during his tenure as governor and the public was strongly against it. Common reasons are not wanting to get smelly gasoline on your hands or clothing, being able to stay in your car during the cold winter months, not even knowing how to pump gas because you've never had to do it before, and fear of starting a fire.

Diesel is not covered by the self-serve ban in NJ, and most stations will let truckers pump in themselves, but all of the stations I've ever been to will offer full-serve diesel just like gasoline, and attendants may or may not be aware that you are allowed to pump it yourself.

And no, you are not expected to tip the attendant. Maybe back in the time when they would wash your windows and ask to check your oil, but that is a thing of the past.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Over the years there have been numerous attempts to legalize self-service gasoline here in NJ and all have failed. Regardless if out-of-staters like or understand it or not, the public here in NJ prefers full-service gasoline because we are used to it and due to our gas tax being lower, we usually pay less for it than surrounding states which are self-serve.

In fact, this may have contributed to former NJ Gov. Jon Corzine losing his reelection because he wanted to legalize self-serve during his tenure as governor and the public was strongly against it. Common reasons are not wanting to get smelly gasoline on your hands or clothing, being able to stay in your car during the cold winter months, not even knowing how to pump gas because you've never had to do it before, and fear of starting a fire.

Diesel is not covered by the self-serve ban in NJ, and most stations will let truckers pump in themselves, but all of the stations I've ever been to will offer full-serve diesel just like gasoline, and attendants may or may not be aware that you are allowed to pump it yourself.

And no, you are not expected to tip the attendant. Maybe back in the time when they would wash your windows and ask to check your oil, but that is a thing of the past.

Unfortunately it shows that like the rest of these United States, NJ does NOT understand the meaning of "full-service". "Full-service means that not only do they pump the gasoline, but they also wash the windshield and ask if you want the engine oil and tire pressure checked. The terms full and self service should be retired with the correct "Attendant Pumped" and "Self Pump" replacing them. Oh, for those in NJ & OR who say the elderly and disabled are helped by those states laws, California and the other states have laws mandating that attendants at Self-Pump stations assist them.

BTW, my 2004 Prius doesn't have a normal fuel tank but uses a fuel bladder inside a metal enclosure. Filling it requires a different technique than a normal fuel tank. So in OR, I ask if they have been certified to fill this type of fuel tank.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
The attendant is different than you filling the tank and here is why. Most, if not all, fires while fueling are due to static discharge. The most common reason for this charge being present, getting back in your vehicle while it fills! Women are more prone to doing this, especially when it is cold.

Fuel island fires are more common than most people would think just because we don't see it happening every day, but think about how many fuel stations there are and the amount of people filling up in any given day...

I do find funny the signs that say that it is illegal to walk away while fueling unless you are an attendant, you know, cuz the pumps know whether you are an attendant or not so it'll make sure it does not fail and overfill the tank...
I see a sexist flame battle coming... Hahaha

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

pbkid6974

TDI
none yet
So I finally picked up a 2015 jetta yesterday. I'm from NJ and had to go a few hours upstate NY to get it. The dealer didn't fill the tank so when I got close to home with only half a tank I figured I'd just fill it. My first fill up and theres 2 gassers blocking 2 diesel pumps on one end of the quick check so I drive around to the other side to use one of the other 2 pumps. Big ol box truck cuts me off so I drive around to the last pump available, hop out, and start fueling. Truck driver give me a funny look so I brace myself for the, "you know your putting diesel in your car" comment, but instead get "that one of them recall cars?" I told him it was and I just picked it up. We talked a few min while I fueled up about availability, price, fuel mileage, etc.

Can't believe I got a story on my first fuel up. Might not be the best one but more than some on here.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
had a guy run out of his station yelling that i was putting diesel in. (was a small station in a small town) I nodded, said i know and waved him over and pointed at the diesel only on the filler. Had a moment of confusion till i said TDI.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
So I finally picked up a 2015 jetta yesterday. I'm from NJ and had to go a few hours upstate NY to get it. The dealer didn't fill the tank so when I got close to home with only half a tank I figured I'd just fill it. My first fill up and theres 2 gassers blocking 2 diesel pumps on one end of the quick check so I drive around to the other side to use one of the other 2 pumps. Big ol box truck cuts me off so I drive around to the last pump available, hop out, and start fueling. Truck driver give me a funny look so I brace myself for the, "you know your putting diesel in your car" comment, but instead get "that one of them recall cars?" I told him it was and I just picked it up. We talked a few min while I fueled up about availability, price, fuel mileage, etc.
Can't believe I got a story on my first fuel up. Might not be the best one but more than some on here.
Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I much preferred when the questions were just about fuel mileage etc., rather than "hey, is that one of those ignominious, cheating diesels?". Oh well, maybe it's good for street cred in the outlaw circles. :)

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
rather than "hey, is that one of those ignominious, cheating diesels?". Oh well, maybe it's good for street cred in the outlaw circles. :)
"Nah, mine's just about a hundred million times worse than those were before the fix. Think about how overblown that whole thing was for a moment."

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
...Can't believe I got a story on my first fuel up. Might not be the best one but more than some on here...
I'll say. It'll be 20 years in October for me, and I've only had 2 stories: the first was a lame getting asked twice if it was a diesel at a fuel stop in Nogales, Sonora, Mexico way back in 2001, and the other a few months ago that I already reported above.

Some people have all the fun... ;)

Cheers,

PH

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Mine didn't happen at the gas station or with my TDI. I took an old couch to the dump and the attendant noticed my Ecodiesel badge on the Ram. said he didn't realize that you could get a diesel in the half ton. I'm sure there were some people that got unhappy about our five minute conversation because he wasn't helping them, but that's not my problem.

TDI Kovács

Veteran Member
TDI
Two Preban TDI's; One "FIXED" TDI.
Here's a quick little story for you.

While running an errand in town today I noticed no one blocking the diesel pumps!

Upon second glance, I also noticed they are out of gas thanks to the approaching hurricane!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
We had that issue when Houston was evacuated for the last hurricane. Gas out at most places but diesel plentiful. You wouldn't believe the cars that flocked in when they saw me filling only to be disappointed to find all the gas gone.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
While running an errand in town today I noticed no one blocking the diesel pumps!

Upon second glance, I also noticed they are out of gas thanks to the approaching hurricane!

Did you fill up with diesel? If yes, did a line of cars try to line up behind you (thinking there was gas)? This behavior has been reported more than once.:)

Have Fun!

Don

TDI Kovács

Veteran Member
TDI
Two Preban TDI's; One "FIXED" TDI.
Did you fill up with diesel? If yes, did a line of cars try to line up behind you (thinking there was gas)? This behavior has been reported more than once.:)

Have Fun!

Don
No, I didn't. I'm either going to go up there later tonight or tomorrow. I'll let you know if anything goes on. :)

Edit: Just got back. They had premium for the gassers so naturally I had to wait while there were three other open gas pumps. I can't understand why so many people prefer to block the diesel pumps first. As I pulled out a fuel truck was pulling in. Good for the gassers.

Last edited:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Just gotta convince a few of them to partake in installing the better fuel in their cars. :p

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No story but yesterday I saw that the Shell station in downtown Oroville was now a Speedway! First one I've seen in California. The prices are much higher though - D2 is $4/gallon.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
No story but yesterday I saw that the Shell station in downtown Oroville was now a Speedway! First one I've seen in California. The prices are much higher though - D2 is $4/gallon.
Interesting, Speedway took over all the Hess stations out here.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Interesting, Speedway took over all the Hess stations out here.

I think I found out what happened. Marathon (owner of Speedway) took over Tesero/Andeavor which operated stations under the Tesoro, Shell, Exxon, Mobil, ARCO, and USA Gasoline brands.The station used to be branded USA Gasoline before it was changed to Shell and Marathon must have decided to use the Speedway brand rather continue to license either the Shell or USA Gasoline brand names. BP has exclusive license to the ARCO brand in Northern California.

mydecember1985

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW 6MT ;2011 JSW (buy-back May 2017)
Picked up CPO '13 JSW 6MT with 28k miles 3 days ago. Dealer filled it up before we left the lot but wanted to get a base fillup for Fuelly app. Stopped about 50 miles from the dealership to top it off.
Guy pulls in with a Cummins next to me asking about MPG. Tell him I left dealership 45 minutes ago :cool: . Previous car was consistent low 40s mixed but tap 50 on slow, long hauls.
Poor guy just got his truck back last month from HPFP failure that was covered under warranty. Dealer said it was ~$7,500. Got into a conversation about Diesel fuel quality and such.
Crazy that it was the first time I filled a TDI in nearly 3 years and I instantly have someone approach me.

MG19

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI with DSG
A little windy today. Pulled the nozzle out and drips of diesel flew on my paint. Stood there trying to wipe it off. It was only a few drips so I figured it'd be safe to use the windshield thing. Get home, hands, bottom of shoe, and bottom of pant legs smell like diesel. I like having a TDI :)

But a side question: prices have been going up here, is it because of winterized diesel? There's also this one station that's always a lot cheaper than all the others- their fuel makes my car sound like a truck but it drives fine. Should be safe to use that fuel, right?

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
...But a side question: prices have been going up here, is it because of winterized diesel?
Not winterized as much as a normal seasonal move in pricing. In the winter, increased demand for heating oil (the same as #2 diesel, but with red dye added) drives up the price for diesel. In the summer, increased driving drives up the demand for gasoline while the demand for diesel slacks off.

There's also this one station that's always a lot cheaper than all the others- their fuel makes my car sound like a truck but it drives fine. Should be safe to use that fuel, right?
I suppose. The increased noise would be due to lower cetane, not higher. I'd worry if the fuel actually changes the engine sound. It is impossible for you to tell what they've dumped into the tank along with diesel, and you might not want to know. I'm all for lower prices, but if it is that noticeable, I'd go back to the quality stations and continue to use my standard Redline fuel treatment.

Cheers,

PH

vwexpress

TDI
2015 Golf Sport Wagon
I have filled up twice, each time, I'm like freeking out putting diesel into something that's not a truck.....
That's my lame ass story, sorry.