01M 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI disengagement

boatdr1

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon automatic and 2004 Passat Wagon automatic
After warm up the transmission in my 2003 Jetta Wagon will fall out of gear when coming to a complete stop. When rpm's are picked back up it engages again. Of course this is not smooth and you must feather the throttle as to not let is neutral drop and slam in hard. It has also fallen out of gear while underway at higher speeds if left to coast unaccelerated for a exeteded period.
Car has 213,000 miles. The trans oil and filter had just been changed aprox 5,000 miles ago by local repair shop.
I want to attempt to repair myself and looking for some advice, direction, and options. First is I think I like the automatic option and don't really want to shift this thing. So I am not intrested in converting to manual transmission. To repair I am going to need service literature on the 01M any one know of PDF download or willing to share book. 2nd option can newer triptronic be substituted for this unit? And if so what all would I have to replace? Thanks for any advice. Jim in New Buffalo South West Michigan

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
Admittedly, I don't have specific knowledge about repairing the automatics. On reading the symptom you describe, first thought that comes to mind is possible low trans fluid level. I'd recommend (soon) check the trans level. Good luck!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Check the TCM for DTCs. Check the fluid level.

I bet the fluid is low, I suspect the shop that messed with it did something wrong and/or used the wrong fluid.

In any case, you got good life out of that unit, many don't last nearly that long. So worst case, you need to replace it, you still did good. :)

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
I'll second what Oilhammer said about checking the fluid.

If its full you probably have pressue loss to k1 clutch. In 01m failure analysis1 in the 01m faq on my website it discusses pressure loss to the b1 brake. Very similar circumstance except its reverse instead of forward.

My 2nd tdi was doing what your car was doing when I bought it and it was pressure loss to the k1 clutch. There was alot of associated damage in that one though because the DAPO kept driving it that way for along time.

boatdr1

TDI
Thanks for all the ideas. I did get a service manual and it does cover trans fluid change. If I want to do much more to this thing than change the fluid I will have to find a book specific to the transmission.
When the trans started acting up on the Jetta girlfriend got inpatient and reliability scared. Result was she went out and bought another car. I think we found a good deal. It is a 2004Passat wagon with only 75,000 miles. We paid $12,000 If nothing major happens I think it was a good deal. I have been reading all the post about oilpump drive chain failure and wondering best place for parts?
How many miles should I push before tearing into this or should I wait until I hear something. Any idea how much warning it will give you?

Thanks Jim

boatdr1

TDI
Forgot to mention we did keep the Jetta too and I still intend to fix transmission and drive myself.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
Passant is about due for the TB and you should do the BM at the same time. Your looking at 2000-3000 for that work and parts and thats gonna cut into your "good deal". Still not a bad deal though.

boatdr1

TDI
Still no go on transmission problem
I bought Ross vag-com and cleared a torque converter lockup code.
Pulled pan to check filter and condition of fluid. Fluid was clean and no metal or pieces in pan. I thought I would crank up valve body pressure but found someone else was there before me. I turned in about one turn and it bottomed out. There was no click and would easily turn both directions. I left it cranked all the way in. Refilled transmission by the book and at the proper temp I had to add 1/2 qt more fluid to get it to proper level. Test drove and transmission shift is much firmer 2nd to 3rd but still soft 1st to 2nd. Still drops out of 1st when warm.
I guess it is time for new or rebuild this one. I think I would like to rebuild this one. Given the fact there is no metal or broken parts I am hopeful it only needs frictions and seals and such.
Not sure ware to het the trans kit and service publications to do the job. The Bentley is useless for transmission repair. Covers removal and fluid change and that is all the deeper it gets. I need a real transmission service book for the 01M. One that covers any and all updates valve body details and full blowup diagrams of what makes this thing tick. Any one have suggestions for book and parts vender. I have not even checked yet with dealer I am sure they will price me rite out of the car. I had to get fluid from them and that was $50.00 for 2 qt of transmission oil.

joetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2-2002 Jettas W/Auto
I wish I could loan you the tool that checks for leakage in the brakes and clutches. Check with your dealer on the price.

boatdr1

TDI
Thanks for the response Joe.
Is the tool you reference a pressure or vacuum gauge or what?
What I really need is a good service publication for the O1M .
I am very good with mechanical things and not intimidated by the complexity of the automatic transmission. I am sure that the proper service publication will reference the pressure instrument you mention as well as how to connect it to transmission and expected readings. And with the rite circuit diagrams I could map possible locations for pressure loss. I am sure even the very best O1M transmission tech has a service book. I have been in other transmission valve bodies and every one of them have been full of springs, sliding valves, and several little balls all over the place. In my younger days I could take apart a Swiss watch with a thousand pieces , put it in a box, take it out a year later and assemble it from memory. Today I am going to need a drawing.

Thanks for all your help. Jim

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Thanks for the response Joe.
Is the tool you reference a pressure or vacuum gauge or what?
What I really need is a good service publication for the O1M .
I am very good with mechanical things and not intimidated by the complexity of the automatic transmission. I am sure that the proper service publication will reference the pressure instrument you mention as well as how to connect it to transmission and expected readings. And with the rite circuit diagrams I could map possible locations for pressure loss. I am sure even the very best O1M transmission tech has a service book. I have been in other transmission valve bodies and every one of them have been full of springs, sliding valves, and several little balls all over the place. In my younger days I could take apart a Swiss watch with a thousand pieces , put it in a box, take it out a year later and assemble it from memory. Today I am going to need a drawing.

Thanks for all your help. Jim
The very best service tech on 01M's just posted above you...:rolleyes:

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
ah... shucks....

Here's some manuals for you...

http://atsg.com/cart/index.php?p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=all&search_str=01m

These are just the diagnostic guides though, which includes basic info such as clutch and brake application charge, solenoid firing order ect. Not real helpful if your wanting k2 clutch clearance or endplay settings or torque specs. There is no aftermarket manual for 01m because most of the 096 information directly corresponds. If you call ATSG they will probably just tell you to get a 096 manual. Unless something has changed since the last time I checked.

Here's there 096 manual.

http://atsg.com/cart/index.php?p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=all&search_str=096

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
And the epic uber craptasticness of the 096 is why the 01M was never going to be a stellar design. The 01M proves you cannot polish a turd, I'm afraid :(. Ah, the days of the 096, I think we had no less than 6 dead B3 Passats camped out behind the shop with dead ones, and not a one of them had over 50k miles... sad. So many otherwise nice Volkswagens were hauled off for scrap just because the auto trans was dead, and if you were unlucky enough to also have a B3 cursed with the rando-fail 2.0L 16v engine you got a double whammy.... which went first, the trans or the timing belt?

I may have some tech manuals in the Archives on these, lemme look this week and see if I can find some, I can snailmail them to you if you like. Unfortunately, they tend to be parts-replacement heavy, and that gets expensive in a hurry.

whyfish

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW TDI Wagon auto. transmission
As a proud owner of an 01M trans. equipped wagon, I tend to follow most of the 01M threads that appear here on a regular basis. Mostly out of curiousity while hoping to learn how I can prolong the eventual catastrophy.

I want to say to Oilhammer and CoolAirVW that your responses were some of the most sane and thoughtfull responses I've ever read here in response to an 01M post. I commend you both for steping up and offerring such great assistance to Boatdr1. Boatdr1, you are in good hands with these 2 members helping you out.

You guys represent what's so awesome about the TDI Club.

boatdr1

TDI
Thanks to both Coolair and Oilhammer for the point in the rite direction .
My next move is to contact ATSG to get the proper service information. I had found ATSG in my hunt for service information on the O1M but it was not clear what publication I needed. They offered service manual and a tech guide for most transmissions. For the O1M they only offer a Tech guide and to my knoledge not a service manual. I have never seen either publication and was not sure if the Tech guide was going to provide enough information. I am assuming a service manual provides more information than a Tech guide.
Thanks to coolairVW I now know that the O1M and O96 are of same footprint and much of the information will cross over to the O1M.
I was apprehensive about what service publication to buy. I spent nearly $90.00 for the Bentley expecting to get some coverage on the transmission. The Bentley is packed with alot of good information but dosen't even come close to providing enough information to open up the O1M.
I also found some service kits offered on EBay I will search them out again and post here. One was a trans kit that was to contain all frictions , pistons, gaskets, and seals to rebuild a O1M. Another was a valve body mod or update to improve shift quality. And another contained solenoids and wire harness to replace ribbon cable. Not sure if wires are better than ribbon or not.
Thanks again for all the help and input.
Jim

whyfish

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW TDI Wagon auto. transmission
OOOO. EBay. Be really careful about EBay products. Mostly very poorly made Chineseium knock-offs.

CollAirVW has a valve body fix. Check with him.

boatdr1

TDI
Item #: 180436947216 overhaul kit

Item #: 180436952112 solenoid set

Item #: 170437810314 shift kit

EBay #'s I had found for wear item parts
I know nothing of quality or completeness of kits.

draco76

Veteran Member
TDI
99 NB(sold), 03 NB(sold), 100% bug free :) 99.5 4d Golf, 2004 GL Wagon
SK® VW-01M

Volkswagen 01M 1995-2004
Corrects/Prevents/Reduces:
Lockup: kills engine; slip; shudder or rough slide-bump; 1-2; long or soft 1-2, 2-3 cutloose. Includes aluminum threaded end plug to replace the plastic plug that breaks

If the kit does what it says that would be great, but you really need to find the cause if your issue before you start tossing parts at it. What does Vagcom say for tranny errors besides the Torque converter code? Torque converters can fail to man.

boatdr1

TDI
If the kit does what it says that would be great, but you really need to find the cause if your issue before you start tossing parts at it. What does Vagcom say for tranny errors besides the Torque converter code? Torque converters can fail to man.[/QUOTE]

01192 torque converter lock-up clutch
04-10 mechanical malfunction intermittent

May have multiple problems.

I have a gut feeling that CoolairVW scenario of pressure loss some ware is my most likely culprit.
I don't mind throwing some parts at this thing within reason it beats taking it in and dumping nearly $4000.00 into trany replacement. I am sure I will learn alot about this automatic transmission too which from the sounds of things will be very beneficial. For a TDI with the O1M the service interval might read replace the timing belt and rebuild the transmission at every 100,000 miles.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
For a TDI with the O1M the service interval might read replace the timing belt and rebuild the transmission at every 100,000 miles.
That's kind of why many members here tend to shy away from the 01M. Although, with proper service and use, they have been known to have a pretty good life expectancy.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
For a TDI with the O1M the service interval might read replace the timing belt and rebuild the transmission at every 100,000 miles.
I would say most of the 01M cars that I see the original trans lasted AT LEAST 150,000.

THIS IS NO DIFFERENT THAN ANY OTHER MAKE.

Yes, there are isolated early failures, but the majority of them last just as good as other makes.

oilhammer

TDI
I think Toyotas, and anything else with an Aisin, last much longer (usually indefinitely, especially the RWD ones).

boatdr1

TDI
There is 216,000 on my 03 Jetta wagon. I bought it used last summer with 203,000 on it. I don't know if it is original transmission or not. I have alot of the service records but nothing in there on transmission. I sure if nothing else someone had been in there before me and tried to crank up the pressure on valve body.
The obviously disregarded the fact that this adjustment only turns 1 way and if turned the incorect direction it will break the plastic locking tabs that ratchet on valve body. The adjustment on mine turned freely in both directions and never clicked or ratcheted.
If in fact this is original transmission with 215,000 on it I say that is not all bad one might expect some transmission wear and service needed. If I van rebuild it and get another 215,000 I will be very pleased. The rest of the car rides and drives like a new one. One would never know it had such high miles.
Still have not contacted ATSG for my book yet. I will post findings soon as I get chance to further trouble-shoot

Jim

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
I think Toyotas, and anything else with an Aisin, last much longer (usually indefinitely, especially the RWD ones).
I agree with that. Toy A340 was used in Jeep little cherokee's and its a workworse and lasts well. Also the Kia/hyundai A4af1 trans (based on the a604)design has been really successful at staying out of my shop. We've only done 2 ever at my location.

But... basically everything else I see in the shop constantly.