Going back in time, or how I am re-living my youth! (1971 Beetle)

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
Some people pay enormous amounts of money to lay on a couch and get "therapy" to restore balance in their lives.

I consider working on your project car, or motorcycle the best "therapy" available, period.

Keeps both mind and body alert and active.

bbarbulo

Veteran Member
Not sure if this applies to our gas gauges, but I've seen a trick to 'recharge' the gas gauge magnets, if that makes any sense. Would certainly be better than 'reproduction' parts that don't reproduce anything except the approximate look. And if yours is dead, you might as well try it.

I have a couple of Saturns right now, so I've come across this in the past:

https://youtu.be/De0_O6QOgH4

richpin is quite reputable, watch his video see if you're up for trying it.

On another note, those late speedos are like a dime a dozen, you shouldn't have any trouble finding another OEM one for parts.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Back at it

The last couple of weeks I was occupied with taking care of my sick wife so not much got done on the Beetle. But between yesterday and today I changed the shift rod bushing in the tunnel (for the second time).

This was not a job for those who frustrate easily. I started last week with an aftermarket (EMPI) bushing and managed to get the rod through it and at the transmission coupler. But when I installed the shifter, it felt loose. Tore it back down yesterday and found this::eek:

New bushing split!

I happened to obtain an OE bushing last week for $10 and installed that. All went good. Next job will be inspecting the brakes.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I blew out my knee this week and I'm only working on stuff easy to get at (topside). If I don't need surgery or a new knee :)eek:), I will get back on the brakes very soon.

But my latest is a working Sapphire radio acquisition. It's AM only, but will fill the void in the dash that has not been hacked out!;) I hooked it up and it works, but I need a new antenna and speaker.

Radio:

Speaker:

Wolfburg West has the OE size speaker and the correct pillar antenna.

bbarbulo

Veteran Member
sorry to hear about your knee!

around here there is a lineup for knee and hip replacements, people are doing them like it's a flu shot. blue collar town, people standing all day operating machines and whatnot, so doctors are cashing in - selling knees and hips to anyone with an ache. i think it's insane, I'd explore every possible option before getting something that extreme.

nice buy on the radio!! my dash was already cut which is a bummer since I don't even listen to music - the flat 4 is all the music I need. but, I'm selling the bug anyways :(

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
sorry to hear about your knee!

around here there is a lineup for knee and hip replacements, people are doing them like it's a flu shot. blue collar town, people standing all day operating machines and whatnot, so doctors are cashing in - selling knees and hips to anyone with an ache. i think it's insane, I'd explore every possible option before getting something that extreme.

nice buy on the radio!! my dash was already cut which is a bummer since I don't even listen to music - the flat 4 is all the music I need. but, I'm selling the bug anyways :(
The knee and hip sales are going strong here too! I had a total hip replacement 7 years ago and it was due to many years of long distance running (semi-competitively) and the replacement went very well. I WILL explore all available avenues of repair for this knee as those replacements are not much fun and way worse than a new hip job.

I'm not much on music either, but I needed to fill the hole and the OEM radio find is just the thing. Wolfssburg West has the correct speaker and antenna for $8 each and I ordered them.

Good luck with the sale of the Bug as it looks very nice. ;)

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Today was pull the wiper motor day as it works but is very, very slow. Kind of believe the grease in the gearbox is thick or the motor needs a good tune up. So I pulled it:

I'll pull it apart tomorrow and clean up the motor and the wiring connections. Wire 31 (ground) is loose as a goose.

bbarbulo

Veteran Member
Just cleaning all my fuse box contacts, all new fuses, and cleaning the fuse holders went a long way toward better lighting, better wipers... well... that's about it. that's all the electrical on the car :D

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Just cleaning all my fuse box contacts, all new fuses, and cleaning the fuse holders went a long way toward better lighting, better wipers... well... that's about it. that's all the electrical on the car :D
Yes, that's the plan: to clean up all the electrical contacts and replace poor wiring. Even though all the lights and other electrical stuff works, just looking at the poor condition is enough to convince me that a good clean/replace job has to have benefits.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Took the motor apart today and saw that it was under water for quite a bit of time. Apparently, the previous owner had not installed the vent blower assembly which fits under the hood vent and directs rainwater to the ground. So the trunk was "taking water" and the wiper motor sat right below the hood vent and it became water logged.

The entire armature is rusty and the brush holder (one brush) spring disintegrated. I mean it was metal oxide. See the pics below.

I have my work cut out for me if I am going to bring this motor back to life.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Do you have a megger to check insulation on the windings? Or just take it to a alternator starter rebuild place, see if they can check the windings.
I'm just going to bench test the motor before putting it in. If it not working right, or has winding problems, I can order a rebuilt for the guy on the Samba in Oregon that has a business rebuilding VW wiper motors and assemblies.

I did check brush wiring continuity after my solder job and all is good. Visually, the armature and wiring look good.

There are Chinese aftermarket units for $100 each, but that's a last resort.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Some progress

Now working on front brakes as one wheel cylinder has a snapped off bleed screw. So I ordered new shoes, wheel grease seals, new wheel cylinders, etc.

New 165 80R 15 Nexen tires are mounted on the wheels as the old Michelin's were date coded 5/1999.

I'll be pulling the fuel tank to see if I can get the gas line going through the tunnel to be in use rather than the gas line that is run along the underside pan.

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
I"m going to be following this as I'm a few months away from taking my mother's 74 super beetle convertible and restoring it. She's owned it all its life and it was the first car I learned to drive in. It is what made me love VW.

I can't wait to see how this goes and to use it as a reference for ideas and tips for my rebuild.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I've been at a slow period due to wife's medical issues but should be picking up the pace this weekend. Currently I am doing a brake job and most of the parts have been delivered this week.

I recently cleaned the blockage in the original gas line that goes through the tunnel and that will eliminate the new line the seller put on under the pans.

I am also adding an electric windshield washer pump (Trico) to eliminate the use of the spare tire air system that was somewhat disabled.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
OK, back in business again after my recent knee surgery (meniscus repair - 3 weeks ago).

All electrical is complete and so are the brakes. Engine runs but sounds a bit noisy even though I adjusted the valves. Maybe I should review that. I also fixed the bad oil leaks from the drain cover as the PO used SAE cap screws to replace two stripped out studs. Brilliant!

I'm almost tempted to pull the engine and check the clutch (grabs high) and replace the crankshaft oil seals and O ring on the flywheel. Some tins are missing and the thermostat apparatus is non-existent.

I know what's going to happen if I pull the engine - I'll be replacing anything that it needs and maybe go through the top end if the rod and main bearings are still good.

Gotta love these old cars.:)

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
aja: congrats on the bug! My former business partner still has the VW air cooled business we started 35 years ago, so I still hang around them, but I gave him all of my air cooled parts and cars 30 years back when I bought out the boat manufacturing side. I will get back to airhead stuff when I have new facility on farm with enough room. Kind of want a mexican final edition, a ghia and maybe a dropside single cab split window. Those were pocket change at one time, so not sure how I will get rust-free versions of the latter two.

The first two things I would check before getting on with anything else are the compression and end play. When you say "needs a valve adjustment", what do you mean? If you had the cover off to feel play, you might as well adjust, but watch #3 very carefully (you mentioned cooling tin missing). Crank end play is what will ultimately spell the big intervention into the bottom end. Rod wear is usually minor, and main even less...on the crank journal. HOWEVER: the rear main will start to move in the crankcase and that is a serious issue you need to deal with. Just put a dial on the crank pulley and shuffle it back and fourth by hand. Too much play means pull the engine and find out if the bearing is the source, or if end play shims are wrong (by this age, pretty much every air cooled engine has had someone with zero skill poking around in there) or the crankcase is worn.

Last edited:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
aja: congrats on the bug! My former business partner still has the VW air cooled business we started 35 years ago, so I still hang around them, but I gave him all of my air cooled parts and cars 30 years back when I bought out the boat manufacturing side. I will get back to airhead stuff when I have new facility on farm with enough room. Kind of want a mexican final edition, a ghia and maybe a dropside single cab split window. Those were pocket change at one time, so not sure how I will get rust-free versions of the latter two.

The first two things I would check before getting on with anything else are the compression and end play. When you say "needs a valve adjustment", what do you mean? If you had the cover off to feel play, you might as well adjust, but watch #3 very carefully (you mentioned cooling tin missing). Crank end play is what will ultimately spell the big intervention into the bottom end. Rod wear is usually minor, and main even less...on the crank journal. HOWEVER: the rear main will start to move in the crankcase and that is a serious issue you need to deal with. Just put a dial on the crank pulley and shuffle it back and fourth by hand. Too much play means pull the engine and find out if the bearing is the source, or if end play shims are wrong (by this age, pretty much every air cooled engine has had someone with zero skill poking around in there) or the crankcase is worn.
Hi Pat:

I adjusted the valves once I had the fuel and electrical stuff fixed after I towed the car home and got it running. Set them at 0.006" and one side seems a bit noisy but I really didn't spend much time adjusting the first go around. I know about #3 cylinder after having one swallow a valve on my 1970 Bay Window bus at 50 MPH back many years ago. You should have seen the inside of that engine!

The main reason for the engine pull is that many things don't look right (no thermostat and linkage, missing tin, etc. Plus I need to check the crankshaft endplay as you mentioned. I believe 0.005" is max and if it's more then I know the main bearings are shuffling around.

This project sure brings back memories for me as I had a pot full of Beetles when in college. I used to buy them for ~$100 and clean them up and flip them to make tuition money. :D

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
The main reason for the engine pull is that many things don't look right (no thermostat and linkage, missing tin, etc. Plus I need to check the crankshaft endplay as you mentioned. I believe 0.005" is max and if it's more then I know the main bearings are shuffling around.
What you do not know is if the last person working on it set end play correctly. I like checking from the crank pulley since you can get a lot of information without taking anything apart. Usually, if there is worn main bearing saddle on #1, you can feel the crank float within the bearing, and a little more resistance lets the bearing move in the case.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
What you do not know is if the last person working on it set end play correctly. I like checking from the crank pulley since you can get a lot of information without taking anything apart. Usually, if there is worn main bearing saddle on #1, you can feel the crank float within the bearing, and a little more resistance lets the bearing move in the case.
What I do know about the car is that the last person to work on it did everything half assed. I have been fixing/rewiring/replacing stuff that either was overlooked or was "Jerry rigged".

Yes, I can check the endplay while the engine is in the car and will do that. I also failed to mention that I see small amounts of oil dripping from the bell housing area which leads me to believe the rear crankshaft seal may be worn.

We did check compression with a warm engine shortly after I got in home and all cylinders were ~ 105 psi +/- 10 psi from memory. (don't have the record handy).

I installed a new carburetor this week and it runs quite a bit better. Plus, now it idles smoothly. The old carb had a worn throttle shaft bushing (s) and that created a vacuum leak.

Making slow progress here...

JohnTso

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Desert Jetta & 2015 Passat SEL
Tony - glad to see that you're keeping busy. Sounds like you making progress, even though some OE parts are hard to locate.

I've finally got the Desert Jetta to the point I'm willing to drive it on a daily basis. The interior was so nasty I was embarrassed to drive it - not any more.ode

It's running great and there are no codes being thrown, so I'm just enjoying it. Here's my latest update: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=479727

I hope you and your wife are doing well.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Tony - glad to see that you're keeping busy. Sounds like you making progress, even though some OE parts are hard to locate.

I've finally got the Desert Jetta to the point I'm willing to drive it on a daily basis. The interior was so nasty I was embarrassed to drive it - not any more.ode

It's running great and there are no codes being thrown, so I'm just enjoying it. Here's my latest update: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=479727

I hope you and your wife are doing well.
Thanks John, we are doing fine although the wife is going to have heart valve replacement this coming month. That will take her out of the loop for a while!

Other than that, I am moving forward in 100 F heat! I'll update soon with pictures..

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Cool project, learned to drive with my Dad's '68 bus(he eventually put a super beetle motor with a header in it). My brother said Dad once gave him all kinds of crap for wasting his time and money ruining a perfectly good car by putting headers on his '57 chevy.:D

Dad also had a '74 super beetle that I pounded on. He eventually told me I would never drive his cars again. He somewhat conditionally relented 10 plus years later, let me drive to the U.P., but only because he was in the car. He would actually WAKE UP every time I climbed over 65mph. Too funny memories, Thanks.

Best wishes for health to both of you

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Cool project, learned to drive with my Dad's '68 bus(he eventually put a super beetle motor with a header in it). My brother said Dad once gave him all kinds of crap for wasting his time and money ruining a perfectly good car by putting headers on his '57 chevy.:D
Dad also had a '74 super beetle that I pounded on. He eventually told me I would never drive his cars again. He somewhat conditionally relented 10 plus years later, let me drive to the U.P., but only because he was in the car. He would actually WAKE UP every time I climbed over 65mph. Too funny memories, Thanks.
Best wishes for health to both of you

Thanks, we lived in Michigan for several years (Detroit, Livonia, etc) as I worked in downtown in an old manufacturing plant. We drove to the U.P. a few times for vacations and to feed my fishing habit. Love the state! But now Texas is home.

Sounds like you have some great memories of Dad and the old VW's!