Best Diesel fuel!!!

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
I'm pretty sure most CountryMark Diesel-R does not contain bio. However, some stations, like the one in Noblesville, sell bio in 5, 10, and 20% blends, but it's clearly marked and has a separate pump. However, I refueled at the station in Shelbyville and the Premium-R there had 2% bio, but it was labelled. Up to 5% is allowed by VW in the commonrail engines (and probably good for the HPFP). Also, you can always ask inside. Premium-R has a wear scar rating (lubricity) of 460 without bio anyway. We're fortunate to have an innovative company like CountryMark in our state. CountryMark has its own refinery in Mount Vernon, its own pipelines, and its own fleet of trucks. I don't use anything else. It's the only diesel fuel I've seen yet in the US that comes close to the Euro-spec diesel these cars were designed to burn.

Last edited:

jones2289

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
I'm pretty sure most CountryMark Diesel-R does not contain bio. However, some stations, like the one in Noblesville, sell bio in 5, 10, and 20% blends, but it's clearly marked and has a separate pump. However, I refueled at the station in Shelbyville and the Premium-R there had 2% bio, but it was labelled. Up to 5% is allowed by VW in the commonrail engines (and probably good for the HPFP). Also, you can always ask inside. Premium-R has a wear scar rating (lubricity) of 460 without bio anyway. We're fortunate to have an innovative company like CountryMark in our state. CountryMark has its own refinery in Mount Vernon, its own pipelines, and its own fleet of trucks. I don't use anything else. It's the only diesel fuel I've seen yet in the US that comes close to the Euro-spec diesel these cars were designed to burn.
Jbright,

Thanks so much for the reply. I figure it's worth a five mile drive to try out the Diesel-R. If I see good results, I'll definitely stick with it. I try my best to support local businesses, and always do when they offer a superior product.

Do you use any type of additive when running the Diesel-R? I'm going to pick something up to have on hand in case temperatures drop really low this winter, but figured I would be OK without one if using the Diesel-R. This is my first TDI (or diesel of any kind), so I just want to make sure I'm taking care of it the best I can.

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
The high pressure fuel pump 'issue' has been discussed on this website to a crazy degree. After four years of reading I've come to the conclusion that the problem with the HPFP is two-fold -- a poor (not robust) pump design coupled with the universal low quality American diesel fuel (low lubricity, gasoline and water contamination). We can't do anything about the Bosch pump which leaves the option of using additives that increase the lubricity of our fuel and, hopefully, take care of water contamination (but not gasoline). I don't use additives because I can buy Premium-R, and I'm pretty sure CountryMark has strict standards for their delivery trucks (no mixing diesel and gas) and they also check for water in their station tanks. I would most likely use an additive if I couldn't get a European spec fuel. (Diesel fuel is winterized so don't waste your time and money adding an anti gelling agent). That said, nobody really knows why the HPFP fails, other than Bosch and VW. You have to make your own decision.

Last edited:

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
Lucky for me Oregon requires B5 bio, and its much more slippery on the hands than the Dry feel of plain ULSD. the B5 is almost as greasy as the old 500PPM diesel was! Plain winter blend ULSD is as dry on my hands as mineral sprits :eek: and I use non-bio in my shop heater as its so clean there is 100% zero smell..... I have a feeling that the dry winter blend in states that don't require bio is pretty rough on pumps of all kinds
my 0.2

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
The high pressure fuel pump 'issue' has been discussed on this website to a crazy degree. After four years of reading I've come to the conclusion that the problem with the HPFP is two-fold -- a poor (not robust) pump design coupled with the universal low quality American diesel fuel (low lubricity, gasoline and water contamination). We can't do anything about the Bosch pump which leaves the option of using additives that increase the lubricity of our fuel and, hopefully, take care of water contamination (but not gasoline). I don't use additives because I can buy Premium-R, and I'm pretty sure CountryMark has strict standards for their delivery trucks (no mixing diesel and gas) and they also check for water in their station tanks. I would most likely use an additive if I couldn't get a European spec fuel. (Diesel fuel is winterized so don't waste your time and money adding an anti gelling agent). That said, nobody really knows why the HPFP fails, other than Bosch and VW. You have to make your own decision.
From what I've read, VW blames Bosch, and Bosch answers back, "tough luck, I'm the only product available!"

Other car makers use Bosch Products, and they don't have a problem (MB, BMW...).

It is definitely a bad design on the Bosch low pressure side, BUT it may be accentuated by whatever VW has in the low pressure side connected to the CP4.1.

I'm curious about the Fuel Sender, given that it provides the low pressure fuel source. Can it be that it gets clogged and doesn't send enough fuel to the CP4.1, thereby starving it from LUBRICATION? One thing is sure, if that PLUNGER+ROLLER does not get enough lubrication, extreme wear and disintegration are likely to happen quickly at 25,000 to 30,000 psi range of operation.

iHeartTDi

TDI
2011 Golf TDi Coupe (Mk VI, CR)
On the note of "which fuel should I use", I found out that Southern States (medium sized hardware store in VA) will sell me their diesel fuel which has a minimum cetane rating of 47 currently and am told it will be 50 in January. Price - the median of all the other diesel stations. Difference - they put an additive, not biodiesel, in the fuel. The who how what?? - I have an access card that they use to monitor how much fuel I take and bill my credit card on file once a week.

edge130

Veteran Member
TDI
Wife's 2009 Jetta TDI sedan (2009 - 2017)
Bp

A BP station recently started offering diesel. Inside the office there was a stack of BP pamphlets on their diesel. There was written verbiage stating that BP would warrant any fuel related troubles while using BP diesel. With this offer I would buy BP diesel and save every receipt incase I experienced any diesel related problems.

I tell my wife to get receipts whenever she fills up to document the source of the diesel in the event a mis fueling issue, diesel quality issue may arise.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Every station is responsible for issues caused by selling substandard fuel. Keep all your receipts from any station you fuel from. Preferably the same one if local.

Ironman11142

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 White Jetta TDI 6M
Cetane rating at Murphy USA (walmart)

I sent this email to Murphy USA...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: customercare@murphyusa.com

what is the cetane rating of diesel fuel at your stations?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

their reply....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are purchasing regular diesel and not premium it should be 48.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hope this helps...

Last edited:

Scratcher

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 TDI BEW Wagon
Is the CountryMark Diesel-R okay to use in a 2013 Jetta TDI? I've read some comments that biodiesel blends may not be recommended for the HPFP, but I couldn't find anything on CountryMark's site that said whether or not the Diesel-R contained biodiesel.
VWOA recommends bio blends up to 5% It's in your manual. bio diesel is more lubricious than Premium R because of the bio content. Ive been filling up at Countrymark since 2011 and 45k later our little TDI is very happy with it

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
VWOA recommends bio blends up to 5% It's in your manual. bio diesel is more lubricious than Premium R because of the bio content. Ive been filling up at Countrymark since 2011 and 45k later our little TDI is very happy with it
I think that the CountryMark Diesel-R product does have biodiesel. Look at the MSDS. I'd use it if I had access to it.
Remember that any diesel fuel can have up to 5% biodiesel. In some states special labeling for that content isn't required.

Scratcher

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 TDI BEW Wagon
I think that the CountryMark Diesel-R product does have biodiesel. Look at the MSDS. I'd use it if I had access to it.
Remember that any diesel fuel can have up to 5% biodiesel. In some states special labeling for that content isn't required.
The specs categorize Diesel R and Diesel R with biodiesel. The diesel pump itself has two nozzles. One is marked Diesel R and the other is marked Diesel R soy biodiesel with options for 5, 10 & 20%.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
This is what I noticed in the MSDS:
Methyl Ester (Biodiesel) additive
Do you know what their Diesel R uses for lubricity additive?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
VW doesn't recommend they allow up to 5% bio. Pretty big difference.

Central IL TDI Driver

TDI
2002 Tornado Red Jetta TDI
High traffic stations, but try to hit as many Casey's General Stores as possible since they sponsor motorsports in my area as well as nationally. Price is also a biggie here. Thankfully most stations around here see a decent amount of traffic so choice isn't a big issue.

WrEkkED

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 TDI Sport
Shell Super Diesel ~100km difference between super and regular. Worst... Esso aka Imperial Oil.

Feinstaub_CH

Veteran Member
TDI
Now: Passat AVF 1.9TDI 4Motion, Stand by: Octavia 1.9 AHF
Does someone use "2-Takt"-Oil?

I am using 2-stroke oil, Norm FC, 500ml per full tank, for me its like a cetantuning for every diesel.

Regards
Feinstaub

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
How do you know the other stations are at 40? Did you test their fuels? 40 is the minimum standard. Most are somewhat above this value with some being substantially higher. No way to tell without testing the fuel each time.

By the way there is no best diesel fuel. The best fuel is whatever is available when you are needing some.

jef00001

TDI
2012 Passat TDI 2006.5 Jetta TDI sold
I happened to ask the Chevron Supplier, Ed Staub and Sons here in Klamath Falls, OR and the gentleman behind the desk grabbed a stack of sheets which were test run on the latest batches and the results were between 47-49 for about 6 different tests. He mentioned they treat their diesel with power service. So I buy Cheveron diesel in Klamath.

Sinner

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Hi here,

Does anyone from North Carolina care to share their preferred and avoided fuel station brads?

Thank you in advance.

MrBill767

TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Mike,
I'll be on the hunt for higher cetane myself seein how I just got a 15 Golf TDI. Live on north side of town. Hopefully won't have similar experience for finding good selection of wine and beer at a grocery store....

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Missouri Diesel

For those who live in Missouri:

MFA oil and Breaktime conv. Stores have Premium diesel with higher cetane and lubricity additives.

It is called Boss Diesel. Good stuff!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
What are the cetane values and what additives? Lots of places advertise Premium diesel (there is no national standard for this). Premium can be just regular diesel with some PS dumped in, or in some cases just regular diesel with a higher per gallon cost.

Marc_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I always had good luck (mileage) using Chevron or Connoco/Phillips Diesel fuel.
I also use Optilube-XTP not sure if accounts for better mileage but it seemed to
make the engine run a little smoother.

I seemed to get the lowest mileage using Texaco/Shell diesel fuel, I now an filling up at PDQ, a regional chain of fuel stations...I'm getting good mileage but with the 4 month winters and cold weather mileage kind of goes in the dumper.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
What are the cetane values and what additives? Lots of places advertise Premium diesel (there is no national standard for this). Premium can be just regular diesel with some PS dumped in, or in some cases just regular diesel with a higher per gallon cost.

Yupp. I have in my possession a letter from Shell clearly stating that SHELL DOES NOT PRODUCE A PREMIUM DIESEL.

I've hand-delivered this letter to 5 different Ft. Worth, TX stations that have "Premium Diesel" on their highway signs. None of them have taken the signs down.

Caveat emptor...

Marc_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Yupp. I have in my possession a letter from Shell clearly stating that SHELL DOES NOT PRODUCE A PREMIUM DIESEL.

I've hand-delivered this letter to 5 different Ft. Worth, TX stations that have "Premium Diesel" on their highway signs. None of them have taken the signs down.

Caveat emptor...

I used to live in Texas, Dallas...The Shell/Texaco diesel fuel was crap.
Walmart can put "Premium" on their meats but it's still crap..there is no recognized (Government or otherwise) standard/grade called "Premium" for meat or Diesel Fuel...it's just advertising for the unaware/uninformed.

Victor Ward

TDI
2013 Jetta 6MT
I have no idea of the quality of whats coming out of the pump other than its B10 ULSD as mandated by MN and is located on a highway meaning there is plenty of fresh fuel turning through the tanks.

What makes mine "the best" is that the station attendants go out of their way to keep the diesel pumps nice and clean. The handles are so clean that I'm willing to bet the part time teenagers working at the station are ordered to get out and wipe down the diesel pumps daily. I won't fuel up anywhere else unless its absolutly necessary, my station is the best.