Best Diesel fuel!!!

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
I have found what I think is the best fuel in my area Ct. Irving station rt.6 Chaplin Ct. High turnover and I can immediatlly feel the power and performance improvement after fillup.They also sell B20 biodiesle that I have tryed but try to stay away from because of potential Vw warrentee issues on my 2010 Jetta.Vw states B5 only for my car. I DO NOT work for or even know anyone at that Irving station.The statements I made are just my Honest observation but try it before calling me a lier.
I literally just went there yesterday for the B20.

3 gallons of B20 and 11.5ish gallons of regular diesel. Creates a B5 blend and completely fills our Jettas' tanks.

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
I agree that premium diesel signs don't always mean a different fuel, but BP does in fact refiine and sell two grades of diesel that have "premium" attributes.
Have a look here: http://mybpstation.com/fuels/diesel/bp-supreme/

I've yet to find any other major oil company publish specs on their "premium" diesel. :(
Just asked BP about their diesel facilities location in So Cal, and a few other questions ( cetane level, lubricity package). We'll see what they have to say. Not expecting a detailed response, but one never knows.

bockegg

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Loyalty TDi w/ DSG
I generally get my diesel at Giant food store. It has a lot of turnover, and I get a tremendous discount on my fuel for shopping at the food store. It used to state 5% biodiesel on the tanks, but they removed that when replacing the tanks. It's likely they changed their supplier too. Is there anyone who knows the cetane of Giant fuels, because the attendant doesn't. Giant foods are part of the Martin and Cub grocery chains. Thanks.

macike

TDI
Not Yet
Therefore the conclusions are . . .

We have no clue and it is mostly a crap shoot when you go and fill up.
Fill up somewhere that has a higher turnover.
Cheap and low turnover may be bad.
It is a crap shoot.

Is this about right?

hardcore84

TDI
TDI
I generally get my diesel at Giant food store. It has a lot of turnover, and I get a tremendous discount on my fuel for shopping at the food store. It used to state 5% biodiesel on the tanks, but they removed that when replacing the tanks. It's likely they changed their supplier too. Is there anyone who knows the cetane of Giant fuels, because the attendant doesn't. Giant foods are part of the Martin and Cub grocery chains. Thanks.

Giant Gas Rewards is partnered with Shell but I don't know if Shell (or its distributers) supplies Giant gas stations. The Shell stations in NOVA have a cetane rating of 45.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Giant Gas Rewards is partnered with Shell but I don't know if Shell (or its distributers) supplies Giant gas stations. The Shell stations in NOVA have a cetane rating of 45.
I'm not sure that's entirely true, although I haven't visited ALL the Shell stations in No. Va. I know of 2 for sure that ARE 45...Shirlington, right off 395, and Rt. 50 at Graham Road.

Tarbe

Veteran Member
TDI
Touareg and Sportwagon Sold to VW
-Brookfield - Corner Market BP - Bluemound Road & Moorland Rd. - that's Brookfield Square and the SE corner of that intersection where Flemings Steakhouse is. Their sign says premium diesel, too, for about 5 cents more. Premium is all they sell

Excellent! I will have to remember this next time I am in town visiting family.

To think, I drove right past this station in my Touareg this past August and had no idea what I was missing!

Thanks!

Tim

hardcore84

TDI
TDI
I'm not sure that's entirely true, although I haven't visited ALL the Shell stations in No. Va. I know of 2 for sure that ARE 45...Shirlington, right off 395, and Rt. 50 at Graham Road.

I'm certain of two on Backlick Rd in Springfield, one in Fairfax at 50 and Jermantown Rd and one in Burke at Burke Centre Pwky and Burke Commons Rd. The woman who owns the Burke station owns several other Shells in the area and has assured me that all of her's carry diesel with a rating of 45. Unfortunately I don't have a listing of those stations.

Do you know of one's at aren't?

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I'm certain of two on Backlick Rd in Springfield, one in Fairfax at 50 and Jermantown Rd and one in Burke at Burke Centre Pwky and Burke Commons Rd. The woman who owns the Burke station owns several other Shells in the area and has assured me that all of her's carry diesel with a rating of 45. Unfortunately I don't have a listing of those stations.

Do you know of one's at aren't?
Since I only used BP/Amoco Premier Diesel at Tyson's (no longer 47!), I'm just now returning to Shell, so my info is probably old. I'll keep my eye out, though.
I hope you're right. There are so many stations that say "Premium Diesel", with 40 on the pump, and nothing in their invoices to say it's "premium".

(I know 40 is the minimum, and even though the pump says 40, it may be higher...i figure a savvy merchant will post 45 if he/she has PROOF that it's 45!))

bockegg

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks. I hope it is 45 cetane. No Shell around me. I have Martin Oil and Quick fill close. Anyone know if they have decent diesel? They move alot of fuel.

IFRCFI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Lux
Therefore the conclusions are......
It is a crap shoot.

Is this about right?
100% correct. No one knows good vs bad. If you think one fuel brand runs "better", my car runs "faster" after I wax it......same silliness.....

Clean bathrooms and good coffee are the only things that are important.

wrocek

TDI
Jetta Sportwagen 2012
North part of Illinois, Cook and Lake counties

Whenever I fill my tank I look at the a sticker and read it.
It is a 20% biodiesel
Where in Chicagoland, northside, ( Palatine, Buffalo Grove, Libertyville, Deer Park) I can get just diesel, no biodiesel.
OK for 5%
for my 2012 JSW TDi
Shell and BP sells( at least in my neighborhood) someones else diesel, it is not made by them.

bockegg

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok. I have an answer. Giant fuel is supplied by AMERIgreen biofuels. The diesel is B5 (5% biodiesel). It is not Shell gasoline.

Van Wylder

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta sedan 5 spd. 03 Jetta wagon 5 spd.
Country Mark is supposed to be 50 cetane (another thread reported this number from a lab); supposedly only Bp var Amoco is better @51 cetane. CountryMark is widely available in Indiana and Illinois. Its all I use, unless I can't get it. Since I get at least 700 / tank, I can can get it 95% of the time.

A link from CountryMark:

http://www.countrymark.com/countrymark/Fuels/diesel/premiumdiesel-rprodspecs.aspx

Van Wylder

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta sedan 5 spd. 03 Jetta wagon 5 spd.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Countrymark is not a major oil company, are they?

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
Countrymark is not a major oil company, are they?
No. They are mostly in the state of Indiana with a few stations in Michigan, Ohio, and Kentucky. The are a "well-to-pump" company, drilling their own crude in Indiana/Illinois, refining it, and distributing it to their stations. They've been expanding the number of oil wells lately, I've read. They are way ahead of the curve when it comes to making fuel/lubricants for modern engines, especially diesels.

eziemann

TDI
2013 Jetta
Hi
New to the forums and just purchased a 2013 Jetta 6MT w/ Prem/Nav.

I live on the border of MN and WI so from looking at Kwik Trip's website, I have 3 options for diesel blends (for winter) around here. I don't know which one would be the best for my car.

WI - WTR ULSD 70% #2PG + 30% #1PG C $3.979
WI - WTR ULSD 80% #2PG + 20% #1PG C $3.979
MN - WUL B5 80% #2PG+20% #1PG-NO B5 $3.909

I am leaning towards the MN 80% B5 for winter since the car will be garaged and it is cheaper.
With Minnesota moving to B10 in 2013 (during the summer) I will probably avoid Minnesota diesel when that happens. I do not know the biodiesel content of the WI blends.

Thanks!

bockegg

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm still having trouble finding out what the AMERIgreen cetane rating is. Checked the website, and it confirms B5, but no cetane numbers. Anyone know?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Hi
New to the forums and just purchased a 2013 Jetta 6MT w/ Prem/Nav.
I live on the border of MN and WI so from looking at Kwik Trip's website, I have 3 options for diesel blends (for winter) around here. I don't know which one would be the best for my car.
WI - WTR ULSD 70% #2PG + 30% #1PG C $3.979
WI - WTR ULSD 80% #2PG + 20% #1PG C $3.979
MN - WUL B5 80% #2PG+20% #1PG-NO B5 $3.909
I am leaning towards the MN 80% B5 for winter since the car will be garaged and it is cheaper.
With Minnesota moving to B10 in 2013 (during the summer) I will probably avoid Minnesota diesel when that happens. I do not know the biodiesel content of the WI blends.
Thanks!
In Minnesota, diesel is 5% biodiesel in the winter and 10% in the summer.

For the next month, I recommend going with the best-winterized fuel you can buy, regardless of price. Then, by mid-February, temperatures will start to moderate.

Couleetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI
Wisconsin biodiesel

Unlike Minnesota, Wisconsin does not require a per centage of Biodiesel in its diesel fuels. I live near Eau Claire, and if I want biodiesel at all, I have to drive 60 miles or so to get it. Not worth it.

Any diesel with 5% biodiesel included is better than regular diesel for the lubricity vs. additives, been proven many times over.

I'd buy the MN blend, and it's much cheaper than diesel fuel in Wisconsin.

I've consistantly tried different fuels locally, and the best mileage, and how my 2003 jetta runs is still on Cenex Roadmaster XL (which has no biodiesel unlike the ag version for farmers). A few more cents per gallong, but I run 700 miles on a tank year round with this.

my two cents.

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I've consistantly tried different fuels locally, and the best mileage, and how my 2003 jetta runs is still on Cenex Roadmaster XL
+1. The times I've filled the car outstate, it's been with Roadmaster XL if I could find it. It's hard to describe, but the car just sounds happier using it. Too bad it's nowhere near where I am in the Twin Cities.

bdiddy

TDI
98 New Beetle, 97 Passat, 96 passat wagon, 98 jett
Anyone ever heard of mavrick stations in the western us?? Anyone know about their fuel quality and cetane number? All I know is its the cheapest fuel around and they have high sales volume. I just wanna know if their fuel is cheap because it sucks or cheap because its a deal...

bdiddy

TDI
98 New Beetle, 97 Passat, 96 passat wagon, 98 jett
Ok so I was fueling up tonight at my local holiday station (3.59 a gallon), and as I was getting my change the tanker truck driver was plopping 3 gallons of holiday brand diesel additive up on the counter. I said "so that's what ya add to the fuel in the winter, huh?"
"yeah, the diesel fuel that is."
"What's the cetane number?"
"Im not sure, but I can check my manifest for ya."
"That would be great!" And we start walking out of the store and toward his semi truck.
He climbed up into the cab and sat his 60+ year old bum in the bouncy air ride seat and pulled out the manifest for the 3000 gallons of fuel he just delivered. (he mentioned 1 gallon of the additive for every 1000 gallons of fuel).
After scanning the page he said the cetane number was 41 and holiday sourced their fuels from conaco and he said it should be good quality... who knows.
I asked him who Mavrick sources their fuels from. He said it varies but wherever on the open market.
So that means whichever BS is cheapest when they buy it is what we get.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
The cetane number for a #2 distillate fuel, which is diesel, is determined by the additives which are blended with it. The unblended un-additized fuel is all basically the same, regardless of the refinery or terminal from which it originates.

So it makes perfect sense for distributors to buy from the cheapest sources. Then it is up to you, the consumer, to buy from the retailer whose fuel has the best additives; or you can blend your own.

Michael Aos

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta SportWagen
Any recommendations for Colorado Springs?

They just built both a new Kum & Go and 7-Eleven near me, so I've been using them.

Are there any high-volume or preferable places that folks have found?
--

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
In Minnesota, diesel is 5% biodiesel in the winter and 10% in the summer.
The switch to 10% biodiesel in the summer (B10) has been postponed for at least one more year in Minnesota.

jones2289

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
Country Mark is supposed to be 50 cetane (another thread reported this number from a lab); supposedly only Bp var Amoco is better @51 cetane. CountryMark is widely available in Indiana and Illinois. Its all I use, unless I can't get it. Since I get at least 700 / tank, I can can get it 95% of the time.

A link from CountryMark:

http://www.countrymark.com/countrymark/Fuels/diesel/premiumdiesel-rprodspecs.aspx
Is the CountryMark Diesel-R okay to use in a 2013 Jetta TDI? I've read some comments that biodiesel blends may not be recommended for the HPFP, but I couldn't find anything on CountryMark's site that said whether or not the Diesel-R contained biodiesel.