AMSOIL Diesel Fuel Modifier and Cetane Boost Diesel Fuel Additive

SpannMan

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI Silver
I currently use AMSOIL SERIES 3000 - SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Heavy Duty Diesel Oil with the PowerService additive. I was wondering if anyone has experience with the following AMSOIL diesel additives.

According to the website ...

Cetane Boost Diesel Fuel Additive

Improves combustion efficiency to increase power in diesel engines. Raises cetane three to seven numbers. Also improves low-temperature starting, fuel ignition quality and reliability.

Performance Features

• Improves ignition quality
• Improves low-temp starting
• Reduces cranking time
• Reduces emissions and smoke
• Provides smoother, quieter operation
• Increases efficiency
• Compatible with AMSOIL Diesel Fuel Additive Concentrate

Diesel Fuel Modifier

All-season performance, treats up to 40 gallons. Lowers diesel fuel gel point by 20° to 30° F, depending on mix ratio. Improves the performance, fuel efficiency and longevity of diesel engines while reducing deposits, black smoke, emissions and injector wear.

For use in light-duty diesel engines. (Such as the Ford Powerstroke, General Motors Duramax, and Dodge Cummins)

• Performance Features
• Improves fuel economy
• Extends injector life
• Increases fuel stability
• Reduces emissions
• Improves cold fuel flow
• Improves cold start-ability
• Controls injector wear
• Compatible with AMSOIL Cetane Boost

Any thoughts or opinions will be appreciated.

acktdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS Reflex Silver
I've used the Series 3000 from my first oil change at 5000 miles to 20k, no problems with it. I've switched to Delvac 1 because it's more convienent for me to buy -- haven't noticed any MPG/noise difference between the two.

I still use Amsoil Fuel modifier/Cetane boost on every fill up, I've noticed less smoking, engine feels smoother and about 1 MPG better than running no additives.

I just picked up a bottle of Powerservice, $10 for 96oz at Walmart, will give that a try when I use up the Amsoil stuff.

SilverJet00

I have used both the Bardahl cetane boost product and Amsoil's cetane boost. Both seemed fine. On an actual use basis, the Amsoil was cheaper as it required less quantity to get the effect. Per instructions, I use 2 oz. of Amsoil per 12.5 gal. fill. That's based on the maximum amount of Amsoil to use (recommended: 1 - 16oz can for 100-200 gal. fuel, giving 3-7 cetane boost). On that basis, the 12 can case treats 1200 gal. of diesel fuel. That's about 60,000 miles of driving and a good value, IMHO.

For additional cetain boost and other properties, I always supplement the 2 oz. Amsoil with 4 oz. Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement Cetane Boost and about 2 oz. of Marvel Mystery Oil for added lubricity (quantities match the approximate 12.5 gal. fill). This cocktail formula was inspired by SkyPup and is always subject to tweaking. I pre-mix a gallon of cocktail using an empty Amsoil Series 3000 bottle and funnel it into the empty handy-fill plastic bottles that came with the case of Bardahl product. I grab one bottle and a disposable glove from my trunk at fill-up time. So far so good.

SpannMan

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI Silver
I think I will try the AMSOIL Cetane boost product. I have been buying the oil from their website and paid the extra money to become a "preferred customer", so I might as well make use of the cheaper prices.

Thanks for the input!

booTDi

I've never been overly partial to any brand of oil or additive, but Amsoil is now on my $hit list. Those prices are seriously inflated, and then they make you pay $20 a year (or whatever) to get a `15-20% discount. It's BS that they treat their customers like that. I'm not jumping through hoops to buy anything. They should jump through hoops to sell it to me.

S

SkyPup

Originally posted by SkyPup:
Their cetane boost works excellent!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Their Cetane Boost works excellent!

Boundless

BANNED
Originally posted by SkyPup:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by SkyPup:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Their Cetane Boost works excellent!
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">And it's made by Stanadyne for Amsoil, right? No added value from Amsoil, just marketing.

Stanadyne Performance Formula, the original.

S

SkyPup

Originally posted by Boundless:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by SkyPup:
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">And it's made by Stanadyne for Amsoil, right? No added value from Amsoil, just marketing.

Stanadyne Performance Formula, the original.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">All that you said is Wrong!

The rest of it is Right though.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Spannman,

If you wait a few months, you can fill up with B100 or run a B30 and THAT will be better than the Cetane boost!

Keep your eyes on the GTG section. I will be organizing a GTG at the station.

Lito

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
I've used:

PowerService, Amsoil Cetane Boost, PowerStroker and I have Stanadyne yet to try.

So far, I really like the PowerService product the best.

In addition, I add some Soyshield. BUT, when the B100 is available, I'll stop using the additives except for the winter months.

Lito

ET Products Home Page

[ July 12, 2002, 21:02: Message edited by: tongsli ]

JasonMc

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta GL
At first, I used Power Service Diesel Kleen. Then I started mixing a little Marvel Mystery Oil with it.

I have stopped those additives and started using the Amsoil Cetane Boost. I put 2 oz at every fill up. I have noticed a little more power and alot less smoke.

Now I have converted to the new ARCO ECD-1 ULSD Diesel Fuel. I am still adding my 2 oz of the Amsoil Cetane Boost. But I am wondering if I should cut it down to 1 oz per fill up. As I understand it, the ARCO ECD-1 has a Cetane rating that ranges between 54 and 60. Do I need more than that? Does anyone know what the preferred Cetane number is for the TDI?

S

SkyPup

You really don't need any cetane boost with the Arco, all you need is perhaps some extra lubricity insurance. VW TDIs run at their best on minimum 50 cetane and you already have that, plus you have alot less sulfur and aromatics too, it doen't get any better than that.

Most likely you don't need any additive at all, but you can always use extra lubricity insurance and some detergents to keep the injectors clean from coking.

Power Service is great for that.

[ July 14, 2002, 07:46: Message edited by: SkyPup ]

JasonMc

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta GL
Thanks for the info SkyPup. I will just use the Cetane boost when I use other diesel fuel that I know is sub-standard. The Power Service you are reffering to is in the silver or white bottle?

S

SkyPup

4 ozs per tank of the white bottle is good for all year long use, I only use the grey to clean things out when I am changing the oil once a year or changing the fuel filter. It is a good practice to fill the fuel filter full (about 350cc) when you change it out and just let the engine idle for 10 -15 minutes on that after you rehook it up.

SoTxBill

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 passatdsg 10 jetdsg, 09 jetdsg, 2006 jetdsg, 2001Jet, 96passat, 86jet, 81 jet, 78pickup all vw diesel.
has anyone actually dynoed with the diff brands to see where the snake oil ends and the performance starts?????

or ran controlled and repeated mpg test????

my chrome stick shift knob raised my cetane index to warp 6.9....

SpannMan

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI Silver
All,

Thanks for the feedback. I have paid the $20 fee to become "a distributor", so I thought I would try their cetane boost the next time I order some oil. I am about out of the PowerService.

Tongsli, I have been running the B5 from Bare Trucking and have recently had a discussion with Glenna from Tevis Oil. I too am hoping to run the B100. Keep me posted with your info on the topic. You and I were chipped together at a GTG in Parkville area in Maryland. Since that time, I blow a little smoke when I get on it. The B5 solution smokes much less and this is why an am looking forward to the B100 from Tevis. The smoking was another reason I am looking into the AMSOIL cetane boost.