Injection pump timing

luke8603

TDI
2002 jetta
So here we go with my first post...
I picked up my 2002 Jetta about a month and a half ago, paid 1100 with 208k 5speed new tires brakes etc. driving it home it was a total dog no balls at all.
Fast forward a couple weeks I got vcds to figure the CEL p0216 code I figured out that the IP timing was way off or as vcds said off the chart so I dialed it back as much as I could where it would still start which was somewhere around 115 ish, needless too say it was a rocket ship in comparison and wouldn’t stall taking off downhill like it did before. So last weekend a mechanic friend and I did the timing belt and associated other odds and ends. So the problem still stands I can’t get the ip timing near spec but it seems to run well so any ideas are greatly appreciated

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Did you do the belt replacement with the correct tools? Did you use the correct method? Please describe the work performed - how was the belt installed, and be specific on what was done to time the cam to the crank, and how was the timing on the pump done.

Thanks,

PH

luke8603

TDI
2002 jetta
Big hint: did you break the cam sprocket loose so that it could spin independent of the cam shaft itself while the belt was being tensioned?? :)
Here's one of the best timing belt tutorials out there:
http://pics3.tdiclub.com/pdf/a4timingbelt.pdf
My buddy has done a ton of belts in these cars also co owns a shop specializing in Audi/vw, correct tools were used... to my knowledge everything in the tutorial you posted was done correctly

luke8603

TDI
2002 jetta
So I played a bit this morning and something is not right the ip sprocket is maxed out retarded, it starts hot but not cold and is showing the timing at 160ish. The belt was definitely done before I got it and it was worn but not horrible probably 60 k before maybe. The car had a ton of receipts in the glovebox but nothing showing the tb being done but it did have inspection reports showing no cel showing while running. It may sound odd but could it be a faulty pump? I bumped it advanced a little from max retarded so it may start cold but this is confusing the hell out of me

TLH_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
If all else is right, there be a possibility that the center nut on the injection pump was loosened or removed and then the hub was pulled or some how was moved on the tapered pump shaft. But this would be the last thing I would suspect and would go over everything else again before trying to correct it.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

luke8603

TDI
2002 jetta
it kills me because it seems to run and drive very good, I did 500 plus miles this weekend avg 48-49 mpg

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Sounds like the pump is a tooth or two off. Get the tools, line everything back up at TDC and check. You’ll know once the crank and cam are indexed to TDC if the pump is off.

The pin wont go in the hole.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Have you checked to see if your cold start injector is operating correctly?

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
If you google “p0216 TDI” you will find several threads on the subject with different remedies

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
All was lined up correctly pin went in fine
If the IP sprocket bolts are all the way to one side of the slots it needs to be repositioned on the belt.
If your friend with all the experience didn't know this, he can help you reposition it and re-do the tensioner and learn from it.
It's a rookie mistake. Then check the timing on VCDS.

luke8603

TDI
2002 jetta
If the IP sprocket bolts are all the way to one side of the slots it needs to be repositioned on the belt.
If your friend with all the experience didn't know this, he can help you reposition it and re-do the tensioner and learn from it.
It's a rookie mistake. Then check the timing on VCDS.
The bolts were centered when put back on I had to adjust it back for the timing

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Could be the case pressure regulator isn't working, cold start solenoid spring is broken, case relief valve is bad.. Going to have to do some investigating. Or replace the pump.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The bolts were centered when put back on I had to adjust it back for the timing
Have you run out of room to retard the timing?

If you can't physically retard the timing because the bolts have hit the end of the slots, you have to start over. The pulley rolls on the shaft as you tighten the tensioner. If you had slack in the belt between the pump and the crank pulley before tightening the tensioner, it moves quite a bit. Try offsetting the bolts in the slots so they roll toward the center.

luke8603

TDI
2002 jetta
I’m starting to think it’s the cold start, after reading some similar threads of people with the same symptoms

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Easy enough to check what it's doing with vcds, odd you're not getting a timing deviation code though.
It's possible you have a pressure issue also. Make sure you don't have any leaks on the suction side, Thermo Tee, o-rings, pickup tube in tank......or sticking check valve in tank sending unit.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The more I think about it, the less I suspect the advance solenoid if you are not getting a timing deviation code. It controls advancing and retarding of timing. If it is not doing what the ecu wants, I would think it would show a timing deviation fault.

srt-kapp

TDI
1998 Jetta TDI & 03' Jetta TDI
Are you selecting the right year/engine on VCDS? There's a drop down menu that list many different engine codes and years < or > that go off the build date
It sounds like the timing is still off. Maybe the crank gear/pulley slipped on the crank and causing the timing to be off. And or check to see if the 3rd injector is plugged in. That's your cold start injector

Last edited: