Good bearing puller for rear wheel bearings?

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
Gotta get the original bearing off to replace the rusted out brake dust shield on an '03 Golf, did the other side with chisels a few months ago but would like to be a bit gentler. Any suggests for an affordable puller?

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Any gear puller to pull 90% of the bearing off.
The inner race of the inside half will still be on the stub.
Get a Dremel or cutoff wheel an score the inner race pretty good without going too far, use a sharp chisel and give it a couple of whacks and it splits the inner race.
Then just pull it off.
Put the new rear bearing assy on torque nut and your set.
Takes maybe an hour a side if you work slow .

vandermic07

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf 5 spd, 03 Jetta Wagon
I second CSSTEVEJ.

Ive done 4 wbs like this. The 1st time i messed around trying to pull it with pullers. ended up destroying them by grinding them thin. I also wasted a ton of time.

1 hr is very conservative for them dremel method.

tgray

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Beetle, '05 Golf, 2000 Jetta, 2001 Jetta, 2002 Jetta
I always warm only the inner race up with a propane torch so it is just hot to touch. Do not burn the grease or put flame on the bearing or make the metal turn blue or you have ruined the bearing. Slide the hub and bearing race on. If it stops before the bottom the nut will pull it down. Hammering bearings on is not a good thing as it can damage them. I use a cut off air tool instead of a dremel to cut the old race and then chisel.

rmidgett

TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
I'm finding widely varying prices on rear bearing/hub assemblies..what's up with that? The low end is ~$70-$80/ assembly, the upper end ~$250, all with the same part number 1J0598477 from FAG. Are the lesser expensive ones Asian knock offs? 207k on the stock hubs/bearings.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I'm finding widely varying prices on rear bearing/hub assemblies..what's up with that? The low end is ~$70-$80/ assembly, the upper end ~$250, all with the same part number 1J0598477 from FAG. Are the lesser expensive ones Asian knock offs? 207k on the stock hubs/bearings.
Could well be knock off or 2nds or fell off a truck. Buying parts has become more art than science.

tgray

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Beetle, '05 Golf, 2000 Jetta, 2001 Jetta, 2002 Jetta
With name brands you at least have a name but there are china copies put in the name brand box. You never know and I am sure they even fool some good vendors. I have used some of the cheaper ones out there and it seems my biggest issue over the years has been the rusting of the ABS ring that means I end up changing the hub again.

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
If you put a $30 one on from your local parts store its something you'd probably not have to worry about for many years to come again. Its not a item that tends to fail often. Put many $30 economy ones on my cars over the years