Injector Pump Screw Plug

climber510

TDI
'00 VW Jetta TDI
Hey guys,
I've done a search on the forum and on the net, but have come up with nothing.I was just about to take start on the project but something told me to ask first. I really need some advise.
About a week ago I changed the seals(3 major) on my injector pump after fuel pouring out onto my driveway one morning.That fixed the major leaks but now I have fuel coming out of the screw plug (#130) that threads into the head and has the bleeder bolt.
If i take this off to replace the oring (#129) I suspect is the issue, am I at risk of having the IP shims and what not fall out of alignment?
Thanks to anyone who helps out and a huge thanks to dieselgeeks for the rush parts.
-Paul

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Nothing will fall out but I believe that plug seals metal-metal against the head. If there's an o-ring it's to keep dirt out not fuel in.

I'll take a look at an extra pump I have tomorrow.

It requires another of those three sided sockets.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Sorry it took so long to reply.

The plug does go metal/metal to seal the high pressure plunger but there is a bleed port outside that that allows any high pressure leakage to return to the case. That area is sealed by the o-ring. The o-ring sees case pressure of about 100 psi.

Take a look at this thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=345015&page=2

Last edited:

HeirKnopf

TDI
2003 Jetta 5-Speed Wagon, 2000 Jetta TDI 5-Speed
Easiest car repair I ever had

I'm so glad I found this post! I followed the link and ordered a seal kit from dieselgeek and the custom tool to get the screw plug out. I think it may have taken me 15 minutes to get the injector lines off, a new o ring on the screw plug, injector lines back on, and prime the IP. Fired right up and the leak from the screw plug is gone. Thanks guys!

k2h2

TDI
Golf, 2000, 5-speed manual, blue
I too replaced the screw plug seal without issue. Thanks to everyone for sharing the information required to fabricate the tool. Mine was made from a 15/16" socket, 12 point with 1/2" drive. it took all of 5 minutes to grind down 6 of the 12 points (grind 2, skip 2, etc). I used a regular dremel tool went very easily. I did not need the full force of a 1/2" drive on mine, 3/8 drive would have been fine.

It turns out dieselgeek may have the tool, but it is hard to find because no picture is shown. if you need one and don't want to fabricate, review: http://www.dieselgeek.com/product_p/pmp-24mmsocket.htm

I had already replaced the 3 standard seals on the IP - and returned to do this screw plug seal after running the car for a few days, it was still leaking. I was expecting a major amount of fuel to come out when the screw plug was removed but only lost 1/4 cup or less.

I started with a 5/8" diameter stone and finished with a little bigger than 3/8" diameter.
I went just over the depth of the tools into the socket (3/8")

I think it would be really hard for someone to screw up making this thing - give it a try with the tools you have access to.

Parts:
---------
* Seal kit 1996-2003: http://www.dieselgeek.com/TDI_Injection_Pump_Seal_Kit_p/pmp-fullkit.htm
* 15/16" 12point socket - find a local source for a cheap socket to grind on, mine was $6 or so: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/GDW0/GM8295/N0756.oap
* 24mm tri Socket if you don't want to fabricate: http://www.dieselgeek.com/product_p/pmp-24mmsocket.htm

Sources
------------
* 15/16" socket to grind down: from runonbeer 2/27/2012
* runonbeer socket: http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/plug_socket.JPG
* Diagram of screw plug is from top of this thread: #130
* Screw plug you are removing is the the one in the middle of this picture: Plug - note this picture shows bleeder screw #132 removed. you don't have to remove that.
* another picture of the screw plug
* screw plug removed, you can seen the seal (I am not endorsing this site, I have not heard good things about them, but they have pics): screw removed with seal
* Servicing the pump: thread from runonbeer
* Diesel geek procedure - follow through step #4 to remove the hard lines (with 17mm open end wrench), and then service the screw plug with your handy custom socket
* servicing the pump youtube video: Video#1 - to replace the seal on the screw plug, remove the lines. This video shows servicing the other seals. what you need from this video is how to remove the lines and how to purge them when done.

Last edited:

tcpasley

TDI
2003 Jetta GL Wagon
I made the special tool just as k2h2 described and replaced the screw plug O-ring with no problems. It took longer to prime the pump and lines afterward than it did to replace the O-ring.
tcpasley

GeorgeZ

TDI
2000 Jetta
Just did the screw plug seal without disconnecting any lines; bought a 15/16" 12-point socket 3/8" drive and used a short extension and ratchet; worked fine. My old o-ring was almost cut in two and falling apart. It was a lot more time to get the socket, buy the pump gasket kit and prime the IP than the actual "job" itself...I have photos but I never know how to post them since it seems they have to be hosted from somewhere else...

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Host the photos here.
Short version:
Select Upload button, follow prompts (check your file type)
At the end, harvest the url to use as a link for your post
Note there are 3 sizes with separate urls. For large data use the thumbnail, it shows the full size when clicked.
More complete instructions in my signature.

eszut

TDI
Golf 2000 Blk
Injection Pump Head Plug Socket

My 12 point 1” snap on socket fit the Injection Pump “Head plug” with some light mallet taps