• My 2005 B5.5 pump chain has failed!

Votes: 26 8.0%

• Total voters

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Engine Production Number Summary:

(Does anybody want to PM these guys for there numbers & dates)

failures/premature wear

Briguy66 ------------ ?

OH3Hoser ----------- Car Build date Tuesday Aug. 17, 2004. Do not have any more info on the engine. Vehicle was traded after the balance shaft assembly was replaced. Total warranty work exceeded $22,000.00 at that point. We did not keep any documents that would show the engine info.
JimO ----------------007,872, 01-08-04
TDIsyncro -----------009,355, 01-09-04
Whitehouseauto ----- ?
JC ------------------011,520, 02-10-04
Bookworm -----------?
Bivi -----------------?
Stymielpal ----------?

No Failure

MOgolf---------------001,877, 03-03-04
Oilhammer -----------004,821, 01-05-04
TDI2some -----------006,098, 01-06-04
EDIT - TDIsyncro - moved to premature wear after inspection
JungleDeath --------010,305, 9-9-04
kotflb ---------------011,301, 18-09-04
Leicaman ------------011,656, 27-05-04
senez ---------------011,798, 01-10-04
dhuddleson ----------012,353, 13-10-04
Peoria TDI -----------012,626, 16-10-04
BigTex---------------013,369, 23-10-04
BigEZ----------------015,981, 13-11-04
daedalus ------------017, 340, 17-01-05
DeliveryValve --------017,937, 24-01-05
Lug Nut -------------___,___, 28-01-05

I will update the list, as we go.

Last edited:

OH3Hoser

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
TDIsyncro said:
Engine Pproduction number Summary:
(Does anybody want to PM these guys for there numbers & dates)
failures
Briguy66 ------------ ?
OH3Hoser ----------- Car Build date Tuesday Aug. 17, 2004. Do not have any more info on the engine. Vehicle was traded after the balance shaft assembly was replaced. Total warranty work exceeded $22,000.00 at that point. We did not keep any documents that would show the engine info.:eek:
Whitehouseauto ----- ?
JC ------------------011,520, date ?
Bookworm -----------?
Bivi -----------------?
No Failure
MOgolf---------------001,877, ?
Oilhammer -----------004,821, ?
TDIsyncro -----------009,355, 01-09-04
Leicaman ------------011,656, 27-05-04
BigTex---------------013,369, ?
BigEZ----------------015,981, 13-11-04
I will update the list, as we go.
OH3Hoser ----------- Car Build date Tuesday Aug. 17, 2004. Do not have any more info on the engine. Vehicle was traded after the balance shaft assembly was replaced. Total warranty work exceeded $22,000.00 at that point. We did not keep any documents that would show the engine info.:eek:

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
leicaman said:
It sure sounds like that example was assembled during Oktoberfest! Mine, knock on the finest of wood, has been a really nice car so far!
:D thankfully mine was built the month before. Your production number is awfully close to JC's. How many miles do you have on yours? :p

OK, it's not so funny. Sorry.:eek:

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Official date of production 03.03.2004 for mine.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
TDIsyncro said:
:D thankfully mine was built the month before. Your production number is awfully close to JC's. How many miles do you have on yours? :p

OK, it's not so funny. Sorry.:eek:
My car was actually produced 15/10/2004 which is of course Friday October 15, 2004, which is BEFORE the start of Oktoberfest. I have 41k on mine and its working spot on. But the engine was made earlier if you look at my photo of my engine number.

Last edited:

jcaimhigher

Veteran Member
TDI
2002, galactic blue
Guys, sorry I've missed all the talk, I've been in the process of the move, the whole weekend.

My internet access right now is from work.

I saw the pics of the cranks, quite interesting. But if you've felt the sensor wheel on the BHW, you'll see it's a strongly built piece. It would take a strong hit to mess up a tooth or something.

I'm in the process of re-reading what I've missed!
Thanks.

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
oilhammer said:
So far, the only difference I can see is that the BGW gets bolted to the manual and the BHW gets bolted to the automatic, but the latter necessitated the use of twin balance shafts. In designing the balance shafts, VAG had to change the chain drive system which as jc discovered meant they had to change the chain pitch on the crank. So, to eliminate the balancer module we would need to swap crankshafts which while this would royally suck, it sounds the possible damage caused from a failed chain would be even MORE expensive.
So, if one had to make major repairs due to a chain failure, then that would be a good time to consider importing a manual tranny and then use the BGW parts and eliminate the balancer module?:rolleyes:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
owr084 said:
So, if one had to make major repairs due to a chain failure, then that would be a good time to consider importing a manual tranny and then use the BGW parts and eliminate the balancer module?:rolleyes:

Well I dunno about the manual trans part, although it would be nice. The B5 TDI would simply be transformed with the proper transmission... :cool:

Peoria_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI
Wow, I have been away from the forum for quite some time, and when I came back, this really caught my attention. I just finished reading this entire thread and don't know what to make of it. Jcaimhigher, I apologize if I missed it somewhere in the thread, but what spec oil were you using prior to the incident? I thought I read something in one of your posts about Amsoil.

Anyhoo, I own a 2005 Passat with a build date of 16.10.04, production number of 012626. I hope this gets resolved quickly, as I just finished my 40k service, and would like to have some answers before the warranty is up. By the way, my baby has NEVER seen the inside walls of a stealership, and have yet to experience any problems (knock on wood). I have been using ELF Excelliuim DID 505.01. Before I vote in the poll, what are the signs and symptoms of an oil pump chain failing?

Last edited:

TDI2some

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 PassatTDI GLS, 2003 Audi A4q 1.8t, 1975 Rabbit (waiting for TDI transplant)
Wow, I too have been off the forums (busy with a 18 month old). Anyway, took a quick peek out in the dark. Build date 06/04, engine number 006-098. Have not noticed any unusual noises from engine with 44,000 miles currently.

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
Another Failure!

I don’t know if Kevin’s car has been counted but if you look at his blog, he stated that he had an oil pump failure that required a new short block.
http://getoffoil.blogspot.com/
See posts “Stop Engine: Low Oil Pressure” and “What Lurks Inside The Engine Pan”.

He has been doing some unorthodox stuff to his car like running non-approved motor oil to name a few:rolleyes:, but I’m not sure if it is the cause of it’s failure.

senez

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat DSG
I'm sure a number of things contributed to his car crapping the bed several times. Most notably the different fuel and oil used.

I'll be checking my numbers and everything tonight to report back. So far, 57xxx miles and no problems, other than having to buy a set of rear tires (previous ran them a while 14 lbs underinflated :mad:).

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
senez said:
I'm sure a number of things contributed to his car crapping the bed several times. Most notably the different fuel and oil used.

I'll be checking my numbers and everything tonight to report back. So far, 57xxx miles and no problems, other than having to buy a set of rear tires (previous ran them a while 14 lbs underinflated :mad:).
Any chance you can get his engine number and date? I see the chain started destruction at only 23,000 miles. His iron ppm is way high. His silicon level look pretty good for WVO. I hav eseen numbers that high just with K&N filters. I notice his oil antiwear elements are all over the board..lots of different oil brands.

I think one thing that can be learnt..get regular oil samples tested. You can avoid complete failure. He was running 148+ on the iron for 20,000 miles prior to chain failure. On my 5.9 cummins and 1.9TDI, I usually see in the 5-15ppm range.

Last edited:

jcaimhigher

Veteran Member
TDI
2002, galactic blue
The build date for mine is 02 Oct 2004

Tonight we'll be putting VagCom back on her and double checking all the wiring, harnesses, and other sensors. It's so cold, it's pathetic. in the single digits again tonight. Garage isn't terrible, but cold!

Hoping to get it resolved tonight. But currently it won't start even with the modded sensor. So I don't know exactly.

jcaimhigher

Veteran Member
TDI
2002, galactic blue
Amsoil's 5W-40 European Oil. It's spec'd for our cars. Passes all VW/Audi even the 505.1

Believe it or not, Mobil 1 uses all synthetic now in their synthetic and they also meet these specs as well. About $2 cheaper too.

oilhammer

TDI
jcaimhigher said:
Amsoil's 5W-40 European Oil. It's spec'd for our cars. Passes all VW/Audi even the 505.1

Believe it or not, Mobil 1 uses all synthetic now in their synthetic and they also meet these specs as well. About $2 cheaper too.
CAUTION: CAN OF WORMS NOW OPEN! :cool:

oilhammer

TDI
OK, I just got my first case in here... :(

2005, pro date of August 2004, engine number 007 872.

I will be posting some pics of what I find. Car has 96k miles on it. The noise is quite pronounced from the oil pan area...and when I put my stethescope on it, it sounded really, really bad... like a blender full of marbles. :eek:

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
oilhammer said:

I will be posting some pics of what I find. Car has 96k miles on it. The noise is quite pronounced from the oil pan area...and when I put my stethescope on it, it sounded really, really bad... like a blender full of marbles. :eek:
:( It will be good to see pics of the damage and hear your assesment of the situation. Glad you got the engine number. Do you have the mileage on that one too?

oilhammer

TDI
Oh yeah, my B5's pro date is May 2004...to be added to the "database". i posted my engine number earlier in the thread. :)

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
oilhammer said:

Is there anyway you could get a recording of this noise and then compare, lets say to your B5.5 which is operating normally? It would be a great deal of help to everyone. Just a thought.

Also, what kind of oil did this individual use in his/hers?

jcaimhigher

Veteran Member
TDI
2002, galactic blue
Inquiring minds wanna know!! :D

FWIW, the noise isn't that difficult to interpret. If you feel comfy with your car right now, when this noise (IF) occurs you will assuredly feel that something's not right.

oilhammer

TDI
Got the oil pan off, and the little chain guard...so far nothing obvious. The noise is kind of a dry bearing sound, not at all what I thought it would be. Sort of cycling a bit, changes with temp, worse when hot.

jc, Amsoil has NOT been officially 'approved' by VAG...that is the can of worms. However the 505.01 oil spec I do not feel comes into play much with the chain issue, that is more of a cam lobe issue.

This particular car was purchased used by the current owner. I do not know much of the history, he would need to chime in on this end.

That is all I will have for today, as my parts for another car just showed up and I need to move on to that.