Additive Recomendations?

tdizen

TDI
Bora Highline TDI 130
Hi there

Has anyone used Seafoam injector cleaner or wynns engine flush?

I have a 1.9 tdi bora 2005 and seen some videos on youtube about Seafoam and how good it is..

Can anyone recommend me any products to add to the fuel system which will give the cars internal organs a good clean out?

Thanks

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
Canada,ont North America were Neighbours to usa
TDI
2012 Highline
There are other professional grade products that can be bought but there also 3X's as much to purchase. I would give the Seafoam a try You only need about 6-8 ounces mixed in the engine oil, don't use alot or it will thin out the oil. as far as mixing it in the tank even though it does say on the can it can be added to Diesel fuel I wouldn't it's got no real lubricating property's for the $$ expensive Diesel fuel pump so I would air on the side of caution... STP Ultra makes a great Diesel fuel system cleaner just add a coffee size mug full to the tank on each fill-up and your set.
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/...esel-fuel-system-cleaner-1-89-l-0381151p.html

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
For regular use I prefer Redline. Hard to find in FLAPS.

For extraordinary cleaning, Lubrimoly's Diesel Purge seems to work very well. A search here will describe its use.

Cheers,

PH

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
*don't, unless its for gelling, IMO don't waste your $

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
*don't, unless its for gelling, IMO don't waste your $
I believe the OP is asking more about occasional use (read every 'many thousands of miles') as opposed to regular dosing at each fuel up.

He/she can correct me if I am wrong of course.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Regardless of what poison you may like, the OP is in England and things are not the same availability there!

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes I agree Jetta Pilot. That is the reason that the links I provided are from the UK. Another professional product (among others) that has European presence is Archoil and their AR6400-D MAX Professional Engine, Turbo, DPF & CAT Cleaner Concentrate For PD and CR Fuel systems:

https://archoil.eu/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/ARCHOIL-AR6400-D-MAX-Tech-Sheet.pdf

https://www.powerenhancer.co.uk/arc...engine-turbo-dpf-cat-cleaner-concentrate.html

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Archoil-AR6400-D-Professional-Cleaner-Concentrate/dp/B00KQ1ALKC

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
I just started using an American made product that might be available in a similar formulation in the UK. The product is called Stanadyne Diesel Fuel additive. This is what I found thus far.

1. The small amount of smoke at start-up has disappeared
2. Car is a little more responsive but have no matrix to back up this claim
3. Car on first full tank got an extra 2mpg; I will validate this by not running this product for the next 4 tanks and then re-introduce it and compare the data.

The manufacturer claims that the product cleans, lubricates and protects however I am not able to validate this claim.

I would suggest to the OP to see what similar products are available in their region.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
I believe the OP question is more on the line of occasional use as a preventive measure. Occasional, I would say, as in conjunction with your oil change (every 10,000 miles) or fuel filter change (every 20,000 miles).

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
I believe the OP question is more on the line of occasional use as a preventive measure. Occasional, I would say, as in conjunction with your oil change (every 10,000 miles) or fuel filter change (every 20,000 miles).
My bad, I mis-read or better mis-understood his post. Herein lies my question. Why run a cleaning solution once in a while when you could run it every tank with no build-up being created between cleanings?

BTW, a big thank you to Matt98-AHU for turning me onto the Stanadyne products and RedLine products. They have made a difference in my vehicle/vehicles.

Last edited:

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
My bad, I mis-read or better mis-understood his post. Herein lies my question. Why run a cleaning solution once in a while when you could run it every tank with no build-up being created between cleanings?
More bang for the money, more convenient and it makes sense to do a strong cleansing when changing oil and/or fuel filter.

Last edited:

reince

TDI
2006 Beetle
I just started using an American made product that might be available in a similar formulation in the UK. The product is called Stanadyne Diesel Fuel additive. This is what I found thus far.

1. The small amount of smoke at start-up has disappeared
2. Car is a little more responsive but have no matrix to back up this claim
3. Car on first full tank got an extra 2mpg; I will validate this by not running this product for the next 4 tanks and then re-introduce it and compare the data.

The manufacturer claims that the product cleans, lubricates and protects however I am not able to validate this claim.

I would suggest to the OP to see what similar products are available in their region.

Heard some good compliments as well about Stanadyne additives.

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
Canada,ont North America were Neighbours to usa
TDI
2012 Highline
Positive results using V-power on 2nd tankfull.

I been filling up on shell V-power Diesel twice now didn't see much improvement on fuel mileage on first tank, but after 2nd tank full I did just yesterday my TDI got a steady low 4.3 - 4.7 liters on the highway! never been that low ever! wow..! according to my onboard fuel gauge display I'm guessing the fuel I used cleaned up the fuel system really well.! I have not used V-power in a long time because of prices only recently because of falling prices anyone else have this experience with using shell V-Power diesel.??

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Track tank after tank and record online at Fuelly or somewhere similar, and show the results. Most find anything else useless really.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Agree definitively. You need an average of many tankfuls before vs and average of many tankfuls after.

There is no way around it. Sorry.

Turbiny

TDI
Touran BKD 2.0 140hp DSG
For PD engines should i add a cup or two gasoline or synthetic oil to full fuel tank to clean pump & injectors or its a no go?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Imo dont ever add anything to your engine other than intended additive. People do but being this cheap always bites back.
molly makes a great injector cleaner that you use in a closed loop. Plenty of videos and helpful threads about that.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
diesel is a pretty doggone solid fuel additive, highly recommended
kind of like how engine oil is unquestionably the best crankcase additive

I've heard of people trying diesel in the crankcase oil as an engine flush, but I've never done such madness. I have run crankcase oil in in the fuel as a "fuel cost reducer" and it does fairly well.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
For PD engines should i add a cup or two gasoline or synthetic oil to full fuel tank to clean pump & injectors or its a no go?
gasoline is an okay anti gel when it is way cold, however tandem pumps already tend to hate life, so I'd avoid it unless it is way cold
Also, gasoline and oil both cause coking pretty bad, as their cetane ratings are extremely low, so some portion doesn't burn but instead turns into solids in the combustion chambers. If you've got a huge turbo and smoky tune, you can knock this buildup loose without disassembly, but by and large it's a bad idea for most users.