removing front grill on my Mk 6 Golf TDI

tdiPT

TDI
Golf TDI
So I tried taking off my front grille so i can plasti dip my vw emblem. I took out the 4 screws on top of the grille. But I wasn't able to find the clips so i can take off the grille. Does anyone have pictures on how to fully remove the grille or any tips. thanks in advance :D

saucer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE
I recently got the grille off, but cannot figure out the VW emblem :mad:

I've heard of a couple techniques for separating the grill from the painted bumper below it, but I had no luck with trying to pry it off with a protected chisel... which also seemed like it could scratch/crack the paint if too much force was applied. Other people have mentioned pulling up on the grill while pressing down on the bumper - which I also tried with no luck, fearing I would break the tabs holding the two together.

What DID work for me was pressing what seemed to be a release latch on the inside of the grille:

With your hood up (obviously) look straight down behind the VW logo and the hood latch mechanism. Just to the left of center, you will see a long plastic tab sticking out horizontally about 2", maybe 3" down behind the grille. Use a long screwdriver or good ol' pokin' stick to press down on this tab. Be prepared to grab the grill - mine actually popped right off onto the garage floor!

I'm not sure if I had already busted some tabs loose, but I was amazed at how easily the thing came off with this one little mechanism!

Now has anyone figured out the VW emblem? The MKV popped right out with a counterclockwise turn, but this one seems to be more complicated...

Last edited:

tdiPT

TDI
Golf TDI
thanks saucer. i'll try pressing down on the horizontal tab tomorrow morning. i'll let ya know how it goes. thanks

fleuger99

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
I replaced my JSW grill with a GTI grill. It is simple, while pulling the grill towards you (towards the front of the car) push it down at a 45 degree angle and it will simply pop off. To reinstall do the opposite.

Line up the various tabs and then push it towards the rear of the car while also pushing it up at a 45 degree angle and it will pop back into place. I did have some trouble with the left tab clicking into place but after messing around with it a little it did click into place. Good luck.