Cracked DPF at 14k miles?

Sad Panda

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen SE TDI
So before my GSW I had a 2015 Jetta with like 50k miles and the tailpipe was as clean as the day I bought it. I have about 17k now on the wagon and the tailpipe is already full of soot. I got a Kerma tune at like 12k or so and a little while after my wife was driving it and I was behind her in her car, she floored it at a light and I noticed a little puff of soot. Didn't think much of it since I assumed it was just extra fuel from the tune, but then did a little more research and realized that with a DPF it should be impossible for any soot to get by it. So now I am assuming that the DPF is already cracked, or may have been defective when new. Sucks because now I just have to wait for a code to pop up before I bring it in, and take my KermaTDI sticker off the rear window when I flash it back to stock to bring it in.

Anyone else had a failed DPF yet in a MK7?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
This is why I think any "tuning" with an intact DPF is unwise. Only because it will obviously tax the DPF beyond what its intended limits were. I just do not see how it couldn't.

Since the 2015s are still very new, and have already undergone or are under some sort of emissions compliance partial modification, I would steer clear of ANY changes unless you are going full boat and taking any issues that may arise into your own hands.

I have not seen any issues here with the few 2015s I have had in the shop. But their entire exhaust system is totally different than the previous engine's, so who knows what problems could become of them yet.

Has your DEF usage dropped?

Sad Panda

TDI
DEF usage went way up on my jetta after it got the stage 1 recall flash, it is high on this one too. I get like 6k miles on a tank. I still think that it was cracked before the tune though, my commute is like 95% highway so I dont get to play around with the power very often. And Kerma is fairly safe on temps since he doesnt mess with the factory limits at all to keep from damaging the exhaust. I may be wrong though. I am probably remembering mileage and such wrong as well so the tailpipe may have been dirty before the tune.

furgburg

TDI
03 TDI wagon
6,000 miles? Wow. I went 11,000 before I filled mine up, and the light wasn't on I was just going on a trip. 16k on it now. I'm just going to fill it at my 10,000 oil changes.

Sad Panda

TDI
Ya, I dont know if the GSW has the same size tank for DEF. Like I said, on my 2015 Jetta I got to see the usage before and after the recall and usage went way up. On the GSW it already had the flash when I got it new, just assuming the usage increased the same.