notchy shifting on 6mt GSW

franklinstower

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 gsw 6mt wagon
I guess that is how I would describe it - notchy, especially in the mornings my 1-2 and 2-3 shifts seem like the syncro's aren't doing their job. I just hit 6,000 miles on my 2015 and I thought it would get better with mileage, but it hasn't.

Anyone else notice the non-precise gear engagement? I have to really slow down those shifts to let the syncro's catch up. It doesn't really get any better after it warms up either.

Paul

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
I would check the alignment of the cable end bushings.

see corrado_tdi's (aka Dieselgeek) youtube channel on how to set the transmission on the home position, locking the shifter, and resetting the cable ends.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Ask the dealer to check the adjustment on the cables next time you have it in?
There is a "home" location on both the shifter in the cabin, and the shift tower on the transmission that allow you to set these rather easily if you wanted to try yourself.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
FWIW, I think the newer 6sp gearboxes are not quite as smooth shifting as the 5sp, but they do seem get better with time.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I have never had any issues either, they just do not seem to throw quite as smoothly as the 02J. And I have driven a lot of each, LOL.

I have even had a lot of people who own both say the same thing, so it is not just me. I think it is more a case of getting used to it and giving it some time to wear in. But the OP can certainly get another opinion, or drive another similar car to see if there is any difference.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
My 02J shifts smoother for sure. The 02Q has what I would call more feedback rather than notchiness. If I hold it lightly at the gate, it falls in effortlessly which is how I normally shift in casual driving. If you muscle it, yeah...it's notchy.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

franklinstower

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 gsw 6mt wagon
Maybe it has something to do with the new gear lube they use from the factory. I switched my mk4 to the ACDelco 10-4014 Friction Modified Synchromesh Manual Transmission Fluid and it made a solid difference in shifting.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
There are no brass synchros in the 02Q, I wouldn't recommend anything other than stock fluid. I tried a different fluid when upgrading the differential and it was far more notchy. Switched back and has been buttery every since.
Stock fluid is G-052-512-A2

Last edited: