Roll bar and trailer hitch?

TDI4evah

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
Happy owner, so far, of a 2015 GSW SEL with a mere 8K miles on it. Replacing a 2003 jetta wagon that was fixed up quite nicely.

I'd like to upgrade the handling, and really like having the car flat in the corners. There were a bunch to choose from with the 03, but I've only seen the one from Kerma for the GSW. Has anyone used this? How's the performance and installation of it? Any others I should look at?

I'd also like to install a decent trailer hitch. I think I had a westfalia hitch on the 03 and like how hidden it was. I see the ecohitch with a 1.25/2" receiver, but think I'd rather not have the receiver showing all the time since they all get rusty and ugly in a few years. Anyone have experience with a trailer hitch on a GSW?

Lastly, I'm considering raising it a bit - no more than an inch, just to help with snow and rocky roads. Any words of wisdom (or sources for lifters) here?

Thanks in advance!

David

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Idparts has bosal hitch which is similar to your old westi hitch.

No clue in the sway bar, as for lift you can’t beat taller tires as cheap small lift.

TDI4evah

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
Thanks 740....

If I use bigger tires can I fix the speedo with VCDS ?

Thanks,

David

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'16 sportwagen TDI sel 6mt
Happy owner, so far, of a 2015 GSW SEL with a mere 8K miles on it. Replacing a 2003 jetta wagon that was fixed up quite nicely.

I'd like to upgrade the handling, and really like having the car flat in the corners. There were a bunch to choose from with the 03, but I've only seen the one from Kerma for the GSW. Has anyone used this? How's the performance and installation of it? Any others I should look at?

I'd also like to install a decent trailer hitch. I think I had a westfalia hitch on the 03 and like how hidden it was. I see the ecohitch with a 1.25/2" receiver, but think I'd rather not have the receiver showing all the time since they all get rusty and ugly in a few years. Anyone have experience with a trailer hitch on a GSW?

Lastly, I'm considering raising it a bit - no more than an inch, just to help with snow and rocky roads. Any words of wisdom (or sources for lifters) here?

Thanks in advance!

David
I would be cautious in going too large in the tires just to get more ground clearance. You only get 1/2 of the lift of the additional diameter, but you get all of the power/torque reduction that comes with the larger diameter.

As far as lifting a GSW, the only solution I think that is viable and easy right now is to install Alltrack springs. That is the route I am taking but haven't done it yet, and haven't heard of anyone doing it yet, but I don't see any major obstacles in this change. I will be adding some extra spacers from www.spaccer.com because I want to be higher still.

I ordered a set of rims with 205/60/16's installed, slightly taller, but also mostly for better ride quality over rougher surfaces..