timing belt change. idles well, but wont rev above 2500 lots of smoke

pyro7890

TDI
2001 vw jetta, 1981 vw rabbit 1.6 diesel
ben of aj's tdi diagnosed a bad injection pump after we had a no start after inital timing belt change. so... i got a new pump from a trusted area bosch dealer(if anyone else thinks of doing this just send it to dfis). then i put everything back to gether and it did idle for as long as i would let it but it would not rev also lots of white smoke. so i took it to the Wichita gtg and we adjusted the ip timing still ran terribly. so i was just ready to have the car running again ( it has been out of commision for 6 plus months) so i drove to nevada missouri(4 hour drive) and had ben work on it( he is a great mechanic by the way) and he checked everything he could think of and got it a little better but still ran poorly. he ended up calling frank irving and between the two of them they came up with the company gave me a bad reman pump that or the very unlikely possiblitly of the ecu.
so i called the place and told them of my woes and they told me they wanted to take a look at it which i am sure i will have to pay for. but he told me if i wanted to save my own time i should do a compression test he is almost positive that we timed it wrong and that a piston hit a valve:mad: and i think they are full of it and so does ben. does anyone have any ideas or has anyone had issues with reman bosch pumps? thanks
i would love to keep this car but i am about ready to take it and blow it up

pyro7890

TDI
oh yeah i could only compression test one cylinder (cheap harbor freight tester) and it was 500 psi

pyro7890

TDI
well. i guess i left out one piece of info. the pump was making a very sharp ticking noise after the timing belt change and the locking pin was sliding in and out with out effort
also car has 225k its a 2001 jetta manual trans.
what do you think happened ninedee

Rodrigues

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Check to make sure the cam lock tool and the IP lock tool and TDC all line up. Sharp ticking could be valves hitting the piston. How does an IP go bad during a timing belt change?? Something isn't lined up right and you should check under your valve cover ASAP.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
How is the power up to 2,500?

Is the MAF plugged in? That will result in low power and smoke, as my brother found out.

It also sounds like when I forgot to put a hose clamp back in place for the IC piping, after I replaced my clutch.

pyro7890

TDI
its not something simple. i have checked, noise was clearly coming from the pump. if a valve hit the piston i highly doubt the car would run at all

pyro7890

TDI
checked maf and erg and anti shudder. my mechanic has 6 years experince with tdis, not saying he is 100% right just saying he knows his stuff

Rodrigues

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Think again! The engine will definitely run when a valve is hitting the piston. I wish I didn't know this from personal experience.

its not something simple. i have checked, noise was clearly coming from the pump. if a valve hit the piston i highly doubt the car would run at all

Rodrigues

Veteran Member
TDI
None
The crank and IP might be in time but the engine will still run if the cam is out of time. Just pull the valve cover, it only takes a few minutes.

I would assume the other mechanics would have confirmed the timing on the VCDS.

Last edited:

pyro7890

TDI
it doesn't make a lot of sense that the pump would have gone out spontaneously

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
OK let me try to list only the facts we know:

1. no start after inital timing belt change.
2. new pump from a trusted area bosch dealer
3. did idle but would not rev, also- lots of white smoke.
4. Wichita gtg and we adjusted the ip timing still ran terribly
5. Franko thinks the company gave you a bad reman pump that or that your ecu is bad
EDIT: (Adding facts here as we continue)
6. took the injectors out of bens car and put them in- no change.

Got a couple questions:

1. Can you describe how the car was running prior to the timing belt change? Did you hear any ticking from the injection pump before the belt change, or did you first hear the clicking after the belt change?

2. I suppose it's possible to get a reman pump with problems.. but you've really had bad luck if both of these injection pumps are bad. Installing a third injection pump to find out seems like an aggravating way to spend your time.

3. White smoke- does it hang in the air? Does it smell sweet, like antifreeze? Describe it the best you can, please.

4. Is the timing consistent, or was it jumping around the graph at all? If the engine doesn't rev well, how have you been driving the car? How much power is it making?

5. Frank is the man. He's probably right, but this over-the-phone diagnosis is difficult. Has anyone really good with VCDS gone through to see/graph how things are running?

Last edited:

Rodrigues

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Just to humor us one last time put the engine at TDC, get a 15/64" drill bit and see if it goes in the IP shank first and pull the vacuum pump to see if the cam is visually flat with the valvecover surface.

pyro7890

TDI
thanks for the wrap up manual tranny.
1 the car was running fine.
1 the pump was loud but i did not notice it ticking... dosent mean it wasnt tho never used a stethoscope on it or anything.
t3he white smoke sinks and it smells like unburnt diesel not at all like anti freeze.
4yes timing was consitent not jumping. we have not been driving it
5 yes ben my mechanic is very good with vcds

pyro7890

TDI
i have humored my self many times doing that and i frankly do not want to do it again i do not mean to be hostile your help is much appreciated, but i promise you that it has been checked many times by myself and a few by my mechanic
we have used the metal nerd tools no need for a drill bit=)
thanks tho rodrigues i know you are just trying to rule out everything please do not take my comments with spite

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
Well, perhaps you should check compression on the other three cylinders...

And perhaps there is a problem with a fuel injector?

I'm beginning to think that either an injector got dirt in it or you actually got a lousy rebuilt pump.

Sorry, this is a tricky one.

migbro

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL
well. i guess i left out one piece of info. the pump was making a very sharp ticking noise after the timing belt change and the locking pin was sliding in and out with out effort/QUOTE]

Loose pin = wrong hole used for locking the IP ????

pyro7890

TDI
we even took the injectors out of bens car and put them in becuase he suspected that too.
in order to check the other three i would need something other that a harbor freight tester, do you know where i could get one?
i was not joking when i said we tried everything he could think of =)

pyro7890

TDI
migbro- no ben has done hundreds of timing belts and i know the car would not run if the injection pump was that far out of the window thanks for the input tho