serpentine belt broke!

wilder11354

TDI
2014 SE passat 6dsg
12*f this morning, started car to let it idle for about 10 minutes, went down to car got in,battery light in panel was on. Opened hood, serp belt wasn't on it. So i shut car oof, and started to hunt for a new belt. Found one Auto Zone 18 miles from me, where i work P/T. Continental is brand belt. AZ does commercial deliveries up to where i live, so asked them to drop off at a friends garage, and call me when they left to deliver it.

So i went back out to car, checked tensioner pulley, Good, than locked up fan in alternator and checked its coupler pulley, free one way, locks up as supposed to. I am guessing a belt with 96K on it just gave it up because of the cold weather.

Drove to friends shop, he let me change belt, outside. Did it from the top, moved fuel filter can, it was tight but it all went okay...other than it was gosh dang cold!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Be glad that belt didn't whip around and into the TB cover. Others were not as fortunate as you and a new head was in order.

Any dry rotting on the belt that you saw? was it frayed where it broke or was it a clean break?

wilder11354

TDI
2014 SE passat 6dsg
there was cracks in v's on belt, look like in a few places the v's delaminated off, break was clean but always has string ends where they break.