What else do I need for towing on my 2013 Touareg??

javijavit

TDI
Touareg
I bought a Touareg used last year and it did not have a hitch installed. I am in the process of installing one. Planning on going OEM. I saw on another thread someone using VW 7P0803881 hitch and VW 7P1055203 tow wiring. Looking online this is what I see for the wiring from the part number above:
https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/7p1055203/ES2205380/
I understand that there is a module as shown in the link. However, when I look at the passengers side truck panel I see this module which I think it would mean that a module is already installed in my Touareg (Image shown below) If that is the case, what do I need to install from the module to the hitch (part#) and do I need to do anything else vagcom/computer related???
Dealer said that I need to take it in to get it programmed if installing a towing wiring harness kit. Now, if mine has the module already installed it seems, do I still need to take it in??

"Can't get link to show for image" here is the link:
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AkTEplHYH0eK1g1agsPhq5IJsD1Z

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
IIRC the wiring and module may be installed and you need the small jumper cable from the existing harness to the 7 pin US socket.
This page may cover the adapter cables and sockets you need.
You will have to add a brake controller if you want the function.

NoobyT

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
When you have installed the tow bar, hook up you trailer electrics.

Then lock the car.

Unplug the trailer electrics.

if the car alarm sounds, the car's been programmed for all the various trailer tweaks.

If it doesn't, it hasn't, and you should go to the VW dealer.

javijavit

TDI
Touareg
Like the easy way to check it. I'll give it a try when I buy what I need.

If someone knows if the setup can be done with vagcom and knows what parameters need to be changed rather than taking it in to the dealer let me know. Thanks