How to disable / disconnect DRL - with pictures

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
How do I do this in a '96 Passat? Is it the same procedure?
Look on the firewall in front of the driver. See the little plug with yellow wire on each end? Disconnect and you're done.

Before you A3 guys ask, look in the area of the fusebox under the dash. You will see the same plug/yellow wires.

dave333

Veteran Member
TDI
Did own... None right now!
Re: How to disable / disconnect DRL - with picture

Just wondering...

How about if you remove the clip from the connector and not mess with the switch? I have seen a tool that will allow you to disassemble modular connectors that are similar to this one. I just went out and looked at mine and don't have a good idea on how to remove the wire and the crimped-on contacts from the plug.

Anybuddy know how?

pghPAtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2001, White, Leather
i just couldnt stand driving down the road having my lights on during the day. it just doesnt look good to me. nor when i see it on other peoples vehicles
if i want to be safe while driving now, all i have to do is turn the light switch on and i get the same effect
1)When you see DRL's on oncoming cars that means their purpose has been met.
2)You should want to be a safe driver all the time
3)A lit car informs you that it is occupied and possibly by an idiot driver
4)Being sunny outside you need DRL's to allow others to notice you not for you to see the road better
5)An unlit car looks like a parked car until it pulls out in front of you.

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
i just couldnt stand driving down the road having my lights on during the day. it just doesnt look good to me. nor when i see it on other peoples vehicles
if i want to be safe while driving now, all i have to do is turn the light switch on and i get the same effect
1)When you see DRL's on oncoming cars that means their purpose has been met.
2)You should want to be a safe driver all the time
3)A lit car informs you that it is occupied and possibly by an idiot driver
4)Being sunny outside you need DRL's to allow others to notice you not for you to see the road better
5)An unlit car looks like a parked car until it pulls out in front of you.
I've said this once, and I'll say it again:

I think having DRLs are MORE dangerous than not having DRLs. There are A LOT of dumb drivers out there. When one of these drivers is driving from around 6:00PM to let's say 9:00PM they don't notice that they don't have their lights on because of the damn DRLs. I've seen this more than once and it makes me mad. The DRLs do NOT turn on the rear lights and therefore it is very easy to not see these people when approaching from the rear at night.

I've seen no evidence that DRLs improve the safety of driving, they are merely decreasing our society's ability to think for themselves. It is not the machine's fault. It is the driver's fault. Make licenses harder to get and you will decrease the amount of accidents on the road, pure and simple. Insurance companies should take more responsibility by giving premium brakes to those who have taken driver's education classes that are above and beyond what is required (defensive driving, snow/ice driving, vehicle control courses), they are out there but few take them.

pghPAtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
So by that rational all cars in Canada from 1990 or so have been required to have DRL's for no apparent reason. No statistical support, just a done on a flip of a coin. There are still some states that do not require helmets, or make seatbelts a secondary offence. Some states like PA, even revoke the helmet laws. Safety, like many say is common sense. But many need to have those decisions made for them because they have no common sense.
Being in health care and treating these people while they are still trapped in their cars I can't see how a person would not want to utilize DRL's, even if they saved one person's life. Namely, me and the ones I care about.
I still even hear patients tell me "I didn't even see the other car". This while the offending car was traveling down the parkway in the opposite direction at 2pm. Aesthetics before safety? Give me a break.
Some may feel like it's infringing on our "rights" and it should be our decision (like seatbelt and helmet usage) but when those people end up as traumatic brain injuries (TBI) for life the bills end up being paid from our family's pockets (or tax payers) after the insurance companies close their wallets. Every, and I mean every non-helmeted motorcycle accident I have flown since the helmet law was reversed has turned out to be a severe TBI or dead.
I know myself, I've come close to incidents because I didn't notice a car w/o it's lights on. And on the same note been able to forsee an incident b/c I was able to see a car's lights through the glare of the sun. You shouldn't have to see evidence of DRL's improving accidents statistics if you can rationally think "yeah these could work. It's not like our cars have no doors b/c someone says "if it rolls into the water then you can't get out". Although some folks still think that way about seatbelts and would rather be "thrown from the vehicle"

Blah Blah Blah. To make it short, every little thing helps save our future.I'm done

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d

Don't bring unrelated, useful safety equipment into this discussion. The fact that you even brought the helmet laws into this shows me that you have no solid argument why we should use DRLs.

So by that rational all cars in Canada from 1990 or so have been required to have DRL's for no apparent reason. No statistical support...
Yes.

Show me statistical support. Show me ANY support. There is way more support that goes the other way to DRLs being MORE dangerous.

DrewD

Veteran Member

The best thing you can do to improve auto safety is not to drive at all. About 50k people each year die in auto accidents in the USA. So, if DRL saves 1 life, think how many would be saved if cars were banned.

I've had my DRL's off for one year and I'm surprised that I'm still alive.

Chemboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen DSG
Jnecr,

I think you're missing the original point. The poster's reasons for disabling their DRLs was completely asinine!

i just couldnt stand driving down the road having my lights on during the day.
What couldn't they stand about them? It's not like they could see the lights - you're behind them!

it just doesnt look good to me.
Ummmm...you can't see them!

nor when i see it on other peoples vehicles
So, how will disabling your DRLs solve that problem?!

TAKE THIS DRIVER'S LICENSE AWAY!!!!!! Safety is not an option, it's a requirement!

GregoryB

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2006, Platinum Grey, Package2, DSG, VAG-COM
There is significant rationale for daytime running light use which can be found thanks to the Aussies here:

http://www.atsb.gov.au/road/res-exec/cr218ex.cfm

This study basically provides the consumer with a balanced, unbiased and informative rationale that DRL's do in fact reduce daytime crashes. However the extent of the number of crashes is called into question.

As one who has had to pick up body parts after a crash - anything that can prevent catastrophic injuries is welcome. But this is just my humble opinion so don't flame the keyboard player.

Some of us will have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st Century world of daytime running lights. I for one think they serve a purpose, and are cool looking. Others may not. But when it comes accident investigation time and it is found that you have DRL's at your disposal and chose not to use them, that 'ole "comparable negligence" phrase rears its head and provides grist for the lawyers mill in court.

I could go on, but someone, somewhere, somehow, in some position of power thought DRL's could reduce traffic accidents/fatalities. And a bunch of other people in the same position agreed with him. So we gotta get used to it.

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d

Thanks Gregory
You actually provided some evidence that DRLs decrease daytime multi-party accidents.

I still think we're just barking up the wrong tree... it's not like a car without DRLs is invisible. It's not that the car that can't be seen, it's that the drivers that aren't looking hard enough. DRLs are the temporary solution to our problem, but they neither solve nor even address the problem. I'm going to take my 5% chance and keep mine off.

PS. the study said that most of the accidents that were to be avoided by using DRLs were in low-light situations. I would like to see how low these low-light situations were. I'll have my lights on by 6:00 PM except in the dead of summer (much earlier in the winter). And the "burn headlights when raining" law is still valid and should be adhered to.

pghPAtdi

Veteran Member
TDI

If I must.

4. How effective are DRLs? Nearly all published reports indicate DRLs reduce multiple-vehicle daytime crashes. Evidence about DRL effects on crashes comes from studies conducted in Scandinavia, Canada, and the United States. A study examining the effect of Norway's DRL law from 1980 to 1990 found a 10 percent decline in daytime multiple-vehicle crashes.1 A Danish study reported a 7 percent reduction in DRL-relevant crashes in the first 15 months after DRL use was required and a 37 percent decline in left-turn crashes.2 In a second study covering 2 years and 9 months of Denmark's law, there was a 6 percent reduction in daytime multiple-vehicle crashes and a 34 percent reduction in left-turn crashes.3 A 1994 Transport Canada study comparing 1990 model year vehicles with DRLs to 1989 vehicles without them found that DRLs reduced relevant daytime multiple-vehicle crashes by 11 percent.4

In the United States, a 1985 Institute study determined that commercial fleet passenger vehicles modified to operate with DRLs were involved in 7 percent fewer daytime multiple-vehicle crashes than similar vehicles without DRLs.5 A small-scale fleet study conducted in the 1960s found an 18 percent lower daytime multiple-vehicle crash rate for DRL-equipped vehicles.6 Multiple-vehicle daytime crashes account for about half of all police-reported crashes in the United States. A 2002 Institute study reported a 3 percent decline in daytime multiple-vehicle crash risk in 9 U.S. states concurrent with the introduction of DRLs.7 Federal researchers, using data collected nationwide, concluded that there was a 5 percent decline in daytime, two-vehicle, opposite-direction crashes and a 12 percent decline in fatal crashes with pedestrians and bicyclists.8

References

1Elvik, R. 1993. The effects on accidents of compulsory use of daytime running lights for cars in Norway. Accident Analysis and Prevention 25:383-98.

2Hansen, L.K. 1993. Daytime running lights in Denmark: evaluation of the safety effect. Copenhagen, Denmark: Danish Council of Road Safety Research.

3Hansen, L.K. 1994. Daytime running lights: Experience with compulsory use in Denmark. Lille, Denmark: Proceedings of the Fersi Conference.

4Arora, H.; Collard, D.; Robbins, G.; Welbourne, E.R.; and White, J.G. 1994. Effectiveness of daytime running lights in Canada. Report no. TP-12298. Ottawa, Ontario: Transport Canada.

5Stein, H. 1985. Fleet experience with daytime running lights in the United States. SAE Technical Paper Series 851239. Warrendale, PA: Society of Automotive Engineers.

6Cantilli, E.J. 1970. Accident experience with parking lights as running lights. Highway Research Record 32. Washington, DC: Transportation Research Board.

7Farmer, C.M. and Williams, A.F. 2002. Effects of daytime running lights on multiple-vehicle daylight crashes in the United States. Accident Analysis and Prevention 34:197-203.

8Tessmer, J.M. 2004. An assessment of the crash-reducing effectiveness of passenger vehicle daytime running lamps (DRLs). Report no. DOT HS-809-760. Washington, DC: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

one

a goody

lastly

BTW: DRL's have been on bikes for a while too.

There is alot of info out there for both sides. I'll keep mine and be watching more for those who don't.
This has been fun eh'
take care and be safe

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon

On my 1992 Jetta, the rear driving lights came on with the engine as well as the driving lights. I see that this is now discontinued... Does anyone know why??

As an aside, while driving today, the expressway went into a tunnel for a few minutes... Driving lights certainly helped people know where other cars were, but I don't think that most folks would have turned on their headlights had DRL's not been in use universally...

Yuri.

PaulB

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE M6

I sorta sit on the fence on this question.

I'll admit DRLs probably reduce accidents - with some ifs, ands and buts. I readily admit to having driven around with DRLs on and no tail lights at night. Easy to do, and certainly more dangerous than non-DLR-equipped cars which don't have that problem unless they are going down a well-lighted street.

For example my Sprinter van had DRLs. When the DRLs were on the tail lights were on too. I think tail lights during the day are dangerous because the contrast between brake lights off and brake lights on is much less, so people can miss you applying your brakes and rear-end you. The Sprinter is a big van anyway, and white, so I disabled the DRLs. Now no daytime tail lights.

On the other hand, I had a friend whose car was totaled when someone, looking in his rear view mirror and not seeing anything, did a U-turn right in front of him. My friend's car was exactly the color of asphalt, dark grey. DLR's almost certainly would have prevented that accident. (Yes, if your car is a dark color, maybe you ought to think twice about disabling the DRLs.)

I also don't buy the societal cost argument. Insurance companies can put "DRLs must remain on" in their policies if they want (Oops, better check mine!
) It's not government's job to be our nanny, and prevent us from getting boo-boos. If someone wants to turn his DRLs off, fine. It's not like he's going to be unusual on the road - it's not like driving around at night without headlights or anything. You still have to keep your eyes open for cars that don't have DRLs.

Might I some day run into somebody who has disabled his DRLs, and be killed? Yes. Oh, well, we were not made to live forever. Life is not perfectly safe, and never can be. It *is* much safer than it used to be. It's time to grow up and stop worrying about the last tiny increment of safety - which usually anyway requires a thoroughly overbearing government to achieve (we could also be safer by government just preventing us modifying our cars altogether, but where's the fun in that?)

So if somebody wants to disable his DRLs, fine with me. Someone else doesn't want to, also fine. People should do what they want to do.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences."
-- P.J. O'Rourke (1993)

c5loadmaster

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Reflex Silver
How to disable / disconnect DRL - with picture

Hey Paul,

Does your Sprinter have the diesel engine?? If so, what's horsepower and what kind of milage do you get? When my wife and I were in Germany last year, we rented a Sprinter RV with a diesel engine. Great economy and very confortable. I don't know if it is sold here in the USA with the RV conversion. I think I was getting around 22 mph if my caculations were right.

Rob

GotDiesel?

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS

I really like Ray007's suggestion. It's a good solution for those who frequently pull up to military check-points or ferry terminals where they ask you to kill the lights.

What I do in such situations now is just pull the hand-brake up to the first click. It doesn't hurt anything to do that for brief distances.

Driving a dark car in the NW, I like running with DRLs to enhance front visibility while not frying all the other filaments in the lighting system. I'm still on the original headlight bulbs with almost 70K miles/2080 hours on the clock.

I'm trying to figure out a way to do something similar for my wife's CR-V.

There are some lighting modules from a company called Hamsar for those who might be interested.

One of these days...

alex03269

TDI
2002 GLS TDI
Jetta_Pilot said:
But from a safety standpoint it is a proven fact that by using DRL's you are easier seen by other drivers. All highway buses have the lights on day and night for that very reason.
And motorcycles, which can be nearly invisible without the light.

Alex03269

Last edited:

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
While we are on the subject of DRLs, anyne know where the voltage drop (to 80%) takes place? I cannot find a resistor in the Bentley (print) manual for MkIV Jetta. Just getting stuff ready to do an HID bi-xenon projector retrofit on the Variant, and will have to install another light to carry the DRL function.

Pat

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
So I'm a nerd? Fine. Just remember it's nerds who make the interent work. In fact, nerds are the brains benind a lot of the products you use every day.

Maybee after you drive for a few years you'll appriciate the DRLs on other cars, because of the numb nuts who wait too long to turn ther lights on in the first place. I know I do now that I've been driving for a few years.

Said it before, and I'll say it again... DRLs save me money because if I didn't have them I would drive with the lights on, which means burning the low beams at 100% instead of 80%, as well as every other bulb on the car. After 6 years my car is only on it's 3rd set of headlights. If $30 every 2 years is too much for your budget then you need to spend less on video games and save some more :D

And what sheet is this? How could they possibly not allow you to use a car with DRLs? That's just foolish. Every GM sense 96 has had DRLs. So have VWs. And I use my flashlight indoors on sunny days when I'm under my desk. Hmm... I guess cars never drive through shadows eh :confused:

-J

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
Vdub2000tdi said:
you guys are all a bunch of pussies, everyone knows that daytime running lights make you look like a dumb nerd. i just took my drivers licence test in the summer and im 17 and it said on the sheet before i took my test NO DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS. even the driving instructors think that people who ave them are pussies, its just a waste of money to have your lights on during the day when you dont even need them, thats like having a flash light on, indoors on a sunny day. just doesnt make sense.
that's quite the mature response! hopefully nobody will answer your question on where to buy injectors. a minute or two of searching would yield a simple answer :rolleyes:.

personally, i'm not a fan of DRLs. i installed ecodes and disconnected my DRLs, but i think the fog lights wired as DRLs would be an acceptable compromise. for the most part, i find the average DRLs to be rather distracting. i use my city lights and/or fogs when i feel the conditions warrant DRLs (ie, grey cloudy/rainy days). on a similar note, i find the average headlight during nightime city driving to be extremely distracting, way too bright for the conditions while at the same time not really providing any added visibility.

regardless of the pro/con DRL argument, there are many subtle issues. for example, a person used to driving a car with DRLs gets into a car that doesn't have them. the average driver can easily forget to turn on their lights until well past the point in the evening where having your lights on becomes a more serious hazard. the other way has problems as well, though not as serious IMO. they might continue to drive into the night with less than full light as only their DRLs are on and thus have worse nightime visibility... so given the fact that DRLs exist on so many cars in existence today, there is no clear "right way" IMO. fact is, people need to be more conscientious about driving and the vehicle they are driving if it isn't their daily driver.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Oh man...

Your tellin me you went faster then 140 MPH? That is not possible with a stock transmission... you run out of PRMs. Also, your engine doesn't have enough power. That and not only are the needles in the cluster completely computerized and driven by little servo motors that couldn't possibly have enough force to dislodge anything (I should know I just took my cluster totally apart to change the circuit board), there are no stopper pins!

Would this classify as feeding the trolls? :rolleyes:

-J

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
probably. he's still probably got the weeny injectors i would assume, since he's looking for them...

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
Please ignore him, he ruins my argument for not having DRLs!!! :)
Realizing that people like this are on the road makes me want to unfold my TFL pin...

Panhead

TDI
jetta, 2006, green
BACK TO A TECHNICAL QUESTION. PLEASE:

I have an o6 Jetta. The switch came out just as shown at the beginning of this thread. But I have no such plug in device or pins..rather just a small connector with some extremely fine wire pins in the male side. What do I do now to get rid of the stupid lights ??

Thanks.